Thread: AMAZING IDEA!!! How about we start a commons-club!? READ ON

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default AMAZING IDEA!!! How about we start a commons-club!? READ ON

PROBLEM:

I was out on my typical NES hunt and was thinking about how I keep running into the same common games which many moons ago I would have killed to own, but now just pass. Many times, this is because these games are common enough (B or less) to not warrant my time / effort to purchase and use as trade bait / sell on eBay.

And this morning I got a great idea! Here it is:

Most of us have lists of games we want. But there are 2 problems with this list:

- we're the only ones who have it
    - we're looking in only our local small market of the country

SOLUTION:

Join a common trading club. Where I would have the list of a few users and when I'm out shopping, I will buy these games, and then sent them to the perspective buyer. The buyer must pay actual cost + shipping (no profit taking allowed!) And in return, someone will do the same for you!

So what does one need to join the club?? Easy.

1) Come up with a list (in spreadsheet format) or what you need
    2) You must write down if you're willing to live with only the game or box/manual is a must.
    3) How much you are willing to pay max per cart (this number must be generic.. don't assign value per cart on your list!)
    4) The condition of games you're willing to live with.

Sure all of us have games that are considered rare / hard to find and they will be excempt from the club (unless some people are nice enough to sell hard to find games at great prices).

RESULT:

Not only will our collections grow much faster since the market we hit is going to be so huge, but we might actually save $$$ in the process!! Think about it, instead of buying 5 games for yourself, you'd buy 30 games in total for others on your list and save due to volume purchase! You'd also break into markets where game A was considered a common but rare in your area.

Let me know what you guys think.
    [/b]

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great idea, yes. But a great way for losers to pad their own collections without contributing anything. Unless you could trust everyone who joined, it'll be a bigger headache than it's worth.

Hate to rain on it, but I've seen similar "clubs" fall the same way. Good luck though.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another advantage, though maybe this only applies to me, is that you would be way more likely to find something and less likely to buy something you don't really want just because you didn't find anything that day.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We can introduce a points system or sort.. every game sent out earns you a point. So people with high points are more likely to get games from others with high points..

while new comers need to send out more games before others will send to them..

LK

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah we would have to either have a middle man for all the deals or have some way of keeping ripoffs from getting in on this.I would be down for this for sure but I think it should only be between verified people who are already in the trusted traders post or some other verification {phone call ,ect}

the main thing is to make sure this goes smooth and not end up in a mess. If this gets organized well im sure It will work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

great idea, but i don't like that point system, mainly because where i live there are nearly no possibilities to get many games, and it's a pain in the ass to find things, so i couldn't send many games to others, but that wouldn't be my fault at all (btw i'm from germany)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess we'll have to make sure that people are trading within the same area (i.e. North America NTSC, PAL, etc..)

LK

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The last common games I need for the 2600 are
    Chase the Chuckwagon
    Halloween
    Cubicolor
    Crazy Climber

Can anyone hook me up for cost?
    GET OUT OF THE WALLS CHEATER!!!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wouldn't it be extremely difficult to keep in mind everyone's want lists?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds good.If you start this up I'm in.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would be in if you made this club, but the only thing is that:

1.)some people wouldn't go looking for games, and they would just mooch off of what they buy from other people

2.)Of course somebody is going to add 50cents or a buck to the bought price

make a rule that the game cant cost more than 5 bucks

like im not gonna go out and buy a chase the chuckwagon for 100 bucks for somebody, and expect them to pay me the money right away.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would be very interested in doing this also. I only need around 100 carts to complete my NES collection (about half of which are commons), so this would be a great way to fill some holes.

I agree with what Tritoch said though. It would be tough to keep in mind everyones lists. Imagine bringing a stack of want-lists with you whenever you go out to the thrifts. Maybe we can just exchange our list with one person. That way we can be more focused on what we would be looking for. This would also help aviod problems such as several people picking up the same cart for one person.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excellent.. so next step..

Post your name, systems you collect for, how many common carts you need, and max price you are willing to pay. Also, post the average number of places you know around you and how many games they got.. Lastly, the average price per cart you are willing to pay.

So.. let me start it off...

Leon Kiriliuk
    Collect NES
    Need ~200 common carts
    I'm aware of 5-10 places around me
    About 200 different games can be easily be picked up around my
    area.
    I'm willing to pay ~3-5$CDN (~3$US) per NES cart
    I'm looking for excellent condition cart in the front (i.e. label mint, no writing anywhere, but back cover can have scratches since I can replace them).

Looking for: Other NES collector.

We can then match people up at which point they will exchange lists..

LK

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's one other benefit to the club..

all the fun in the hunt begins AGAIN!

LK

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

leonk- Like many of the others, I think that if done right, this can work well.
    I am interested in participating and would even be willing to help out with getting it off the ground, if you need some help.

Drop me a PM if youd like to take me up on it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright I would be intrested in helping some collectors out as I have a pawnshop near me that has a ton of commens. I would say prob. 250 NES not all are in good condition though. Games $3.25-$5 each. They only ever have maybe 1-2 complete, close to none with instructions. So if you want to send me your list. They also have SNES games which are 6.50-10 each. Playstation games price ranges depending on the game. Genny games I think are 5, saturn games I am unsure. Gameboy games are 10 unless tetris thats 5 game gear 5. basicaly send me your list with what system and commens (they have stuff for pretty much all NTSC) They normaly have lots of PS2 games which I think are about 20-25 each depending on the game. Including everything because if they have lots it will drasticaly reduce your shipping. I would prefer to deal with well known members. Also I will only take Paypal payments, as I do not have alot of money. I dont mind buying the stuff for you but I need a prompt payment back.

EDIT: E-mail list here: clyde_20@hotmail.com
    Prices are roughly what I rember the prices being, there not in stone if its cheaper you get it cheaper, if its more then I don't buy it. Also not just commens but uncommens because im sure there are lots of those as well. You can send me your want list for rare stuff (seperate list please), and if I happen to come accross it and im not collecting that system, I see no problem with picking it up for you!
    Good traders 1st post on 2nd page

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great...

If you guys want, I can code up a web site that will allow us to login, upload our want list.. and it'll keep track of our trades. It'll take a couple of weeks to complete.. but I think it'll be helpful (so I hope).

But for now I guess we can go about it manually.. so we have 1 volunteer.. GREAT.. If anyone has a want list.. e-mail me @ leonki@yahoo.com.

I'll use it during the "hunt" this coming weekend. Also, one must ASSUME that anything on that list must be purchased. I.e. if you say you need game ABC and I find it and buy it, you must buy it from me.

Also.. if possible, please include sales receipts. We can also all see how much shipping costs. Remember.. profit is not the point here.. sharing is.. if we work together.. we'll grow faster, bigger and CHEAPER! (otherwise we're all gonna be STUCK buying from eBay or waiting for years for a common game to show up at stores near us!)

LK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmm

I wouldn't mind helping coding.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't mind helping. I don't need any common games. But I hit the flea markets and pawn shops every day. If somebody wants I'll get games for them. Just e-mail me a list at jonjandran@aol.com and make sure you put a price. Most nes I can get for $1-5 , Genesis same, SNES $4-8 , N64 $7-10 , Playstation $8-10, PS2 - $15. XBox $15-20 , etc. I don't need to make a profit so it would be cost plus shipping. Pay-Pal payments would be fine.

If we wait until we get several games and then ship ups the cost wouldn't be that high either.

Let's Make it Happen.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can see 3 problems arising already.
    1st: Fleas and Pawns near dont give receipts. Except for 1
    2nd: Only send your list to one person because if you send to person A and person B and both Person A + B find what you need Person B is out there money.
    3rd: Is directed at TYGC: I don't know if your SS situation was cleared up, but until it is I think you should stay away from this "club"
    Good traders 1st post on 2nd page