Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are any game systems now much better than the DC?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default DC

Soul Calibur was one of the first DC games to come out. I don't know that I've seen a game w/ better graphics since.

the kid

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Default Re: DC

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    Soul Calibur was one of the first DC games to come out. I don't know that I've seen a game w/ better graphics since.

the kid
    More importaintly I don't think I've bought a current game since then I've gotten more replay out of.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for the limits of 3d:

Let's be conservative and say that the PS2 is doing 10 million polys a second, textured, which is concievable, though few games approach that. From a pure calculation perspective, the PS3 is said to do a trillion calculations a second. That's almost 1000 times what the PS2 can do. However, to keep Sony honest, let's say the max possible textured polys with one light will be 100x the PS2, which is quite possible. That'd be 1 billion polys a second, or 16 million per frame at 60fps. Now, there's no reason anyone would do this - a million polys a frame is pretty much the best you can make something look (a million would be a very advanced CG film - Toy Story +).

So there's a million polys a second, plus tons of extra cycles for calculating physics and for (more importantly) adding light sources. Assuming a similar memory jump as from PS to PS2, the PS3 is probably going to have 256 megs of dedicated video RAM, which should mean no cuts as to texture quality.

Suffice to say, you shouldn't expect much difference between DC and PS2 - they came out only a year apart. The five years between PS2 and PS3 (and well as whatever new systems Nintendo and Msoft have ready) will definitely be another "wow" moment.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Well, I was wowed by Metroid Prime when I saw it first. I can't compare to the DC because I've seen the Dreamcast in action only once or twice, but the GameCube is a far cry from the early PS2 games (witness a game like Oni, which looked barely more advanced graphically than any N64 game), so in terms of console evolution, it took longer for the PS2 to come of age graphically than it did for the GC.

Oh, and I was playing Aladdin on the Genesis for the first time this morning. That was a wow moment too (one of the very nice looking games of the Genny, IMO!).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree with kevin cure's post,the dreamcast and ps2 were released a year apart so you can't really expect too much of a difference i think seeing the transition of the psx and n64 to the dc was a huge difference in what graphics a system could push as opposed to 128 bit system going to another 128 bit sytem,so im sure after the years pass and new consoles comes out we will see a bigger difference then what we see now.
    my blt drive on my computer just went awol and i got this big project due tomorrow for mr. kawasaki and if i don't get it in he's gonna ask me to commit harry carey.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My ultimate test is how good do games look when compared to things like Final Fantasy the movie.

The reason I say this is because the graphics in that more took SO MUCH CPU time on super powerful machines, that there does not exist a single machine in the world that can do that in real time (unless the NSA has some top secret machines we don't know about).

So, if the graphics there are TOPS for early 21st century, any video game that comes close to it basically reaches the limit of technology for the next dozen years.

I think the XBOX does a great job of coming close to that (a few million poly's won't hurt to make things like hands rounder) but hope you get my point.

LK