Thread: Wanted: Info on Unreleased 16-bit RPGs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wanted: Info on Unreleased 16-bit RPGs

I'm researching a few 16-bit RPGs that were scheduled for American release, but canceled. If anyone has information on prototypes of the following games, I'd be most grateful.

The Journey Home: Quest for the Throne (A translation of the Super Famicom Action/RPG Neugier, it was to be released for the SNES by Renovation in late 1993. Nintendo Power reviewed it.)

Lost Mission (Vic Tokai had this SNES RPG slated for the market throughout 1993, but it never showed up. I don't know what its Japanese title was, or even if it was a Japanese RPG to start with. Nintendo Power reviewed this one as well.)

Star Odyssey (Sage's Creation planned on bringing this, a localization of a Mega Drive RPG called Blue Almanac, out for the Genesis in 1992. Before it was axed, the game enjoyed a lot of advertising, as well as reviews in several magazines.)

Lufia and The Fortress of Doom (This SNES title is well known in RPG circles, but Taito ran magazine ads promoting a Genesis version of the game in late '94 and early '95. No screenshots or magazine pieces ever turned up.)

Even if you've never heard of these games, feel free to offer your conjecture about whether or not protos would actually exist for these titles.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know nothing about Lufia and The Fortess of Doom BUT if you ment Lufia & The Fortress of Doom then it was released by Taito in 1993. Infact there is one up on ebay now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1950587281

Don't know if that helped you at all though?
    Good traders 1st post on 2nd page

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How I wish 7th Saga 2 or Dragon Warrior 5 made it to the superness...

yea, anyway Lufia does exist, not that I really needed to add that, ebay pretty much proved it, but I wanted to rant about enix games that never got finished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NESCollector75
    I know nothing about Lufia and The Fortess of Doom BUT if you ment Lufia & The Fortress of Doom then it was released by Taito in 1993. Infact there is one up on ebay now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1950587281

Don't know if that helped you at all though?
    Whups. Yeah, I meant to type "fortress." The SNES game I knew about, but I was curious about a Genesis version that Taito advertised two years after the original was released on the SNES.

Dragon Warrior 5 was supposedly canned because the game's original development team had to recode the entire thing for an American edition, and Enix decided it was more profitable for the programmers to start work on the next Japanese game in the series. So goes the rumor, anyway.

I have no idea why the Seventh Saga 2 got dropped, but it might exist in proto form, as Enix was showing a partially translated version at E3 in 1995.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, guess I miss read your post.
    Good traders 1st post on 2nd page

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, I just wasn't clear about the game in my original post. I edited it later.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris
    ...but I was curious about a Genesis version that Taito advertised two years after the original was released on the SNES.

...I have no idea why the Seventh Saga 2 got dropped, but it might exist in proto form, as Enix was showing a partially translated version at E3 in 1995.
    actually, i remember seeing display boxes for the genesis lufia around the same time as the snes game was supposed to come out, and i remember grabbing one of those boxes and rushing to place a pre-order (once i found out that it wasn't the actual game i had, lol)

as for 7th saga 2 (mystic ark , in japan)- remember, enix got out of the console market for a few years around late '95 or '96, so the decision to not release another snes RPG was probably a cost-cutting move. too bad, as it's an excellent game (from what i've played of the import version so far)...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lost Mission is the English translation of the Super Famicom game "Shinseiki Oddysselya (1)".

Nintendo Power's Lost Mission Review