Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you collect PC games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You can get a boxed Fallout 1 here.

I don't say I so much collect PC games as I "accumulate" them. I pick up things that I might enjoy if the price is good and I won't likely see it ever again. And then I never get around to playing them.

Anyway, as I have said before, the really desirable PC games are some of the old adventure games, like Sierra's old bundle packs (King's Quest Collection, the Roberta Williams Anthology, the Quest for Glory Anthology, etc), Celtica, Chewy in Esc from F5, Gord@K, The Neverhood, and Alice: An Interactive Museum, to name a few. http://www.playinggamesinteractive.com can sell you some of these for the right price. An old Infocom game complete with all "feelies" might fetch a good price too.

As far as recent stuff goes, FFVIII is a bit uncommon, and maybe Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire. Abe's Exoddus is a bit pricey, too.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me go on record as saying that not on;y do I collect PC games but I play them as well. While I have a pretty sizable console game collection the truth is that I play PC more often than I play console games.

Some benefits of PC games;

Not all PC games allow you to but there are a TON of great PC games that I can play for free online. Currently I've been playing Guild Wars online. No monthly subscription fee required. Before that (and still actualy) was Diablo 2 and Unreal Tournament. There aren't too many console games that you can play over the internet for free.

Internet Accessability - I love the ability to be able to quickly multi task from the game I was playing and quickly be able to check my email or visit a web site.

Mods - The mod community is fantastic for many games. When I bought Unreal Tournament the game that I got in the retail box turned out being only like 1 /10th of the overall game experience. I had to have downloaded and played 100s of mods and maps that were made by individuals that added to the games life. And even better, all of them were free as well.

Price - Yeah, we have our share of full priced games such as Half Life and World of Warcraft but the majority of new releases are in the $30-$40 range unlike the $50 (and soon to be $60 range) of console games. Plus the games decrease in price a lot faster.

Graphics - I'm not saying this to put down console games but I truely believe that most PC games have better graphics and sound effect than the console ports. Recent examples that I've seen both console and PC versions of
    include Leisure Suit Larry, Grand Theft Auto and Morrowind

Now at the same time I do have to give console games credit where credit is due. They're still much better for sports and fighting games and there are also much more assessories and controllers available for console then there are for PC games (God only knows why though).

I really don't understand the idea that PC games don't count. Some of you guys personally may not collect them as you do console games but to dismiss them as if they aren't even real games is just rediculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default pc collect

i dont collect pc games...console only

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    Quote Originally Posted by felix
    Even though they are almost worthless, I have a complete DOOM, Monkey Island 1 and 2, Civ 1, Stunts and Commander Keen.
    Boxed Commander Keen. Lucky devil! What a game... I've got a complete Sim City. I've *never* seen one on ebay. And if I ever do, I bet its a bloody mess.
    I got really lucky with the Comm Keen. I have a friend who is a complete packrat and saved everything from her old computer. Thats also where I got my Civ1. Its tough trying to put a price on them, I have thought about putting a few up on ebay to see what kind of bids it would get. People dont usually look for old PC games so there isnt much of a market for them. Keep an eye out for me and if you see anything pre 1995 send a pm my way.

^^Sig by felix. PM me if you want a custom sig.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only see LucasArts games, boxed and good condition, on eBay these days. Really, really old DOS games boxed and complete are SO rare. It's a shame there isn't more a market for it - we'd probably make a small fortune!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    No, i don't collect for PC or Macintosh, and they do not count as far as i'm concerned.

But Commodore and Atari computer games, That is a differant story.
    I agree. Old games on old computers that were built to do so much more, like word proccessing. Commodore computers could do this too, but who bought one for that? Not many, everyone I know that had Amigas got them for the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    N30V3N0M
    Steam
    N30V3N0M

I collect mostly Graphic Adventure games cuz some of them are really hard to find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    Quote Originally Posted by felix
    Even though they are almost worthless, I have a complete DOOM, Monkey Island 1 and 2, Civ 1, Stunts and Commander Keen.
    Boxed Commander Keen. Lucky devil! What a game... I've got a complete Sim City. I've *never* seen one on ebay. And if I ever do, I bet its a bloody mess.
    What about this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...193445116&rd=1

Or, the one I just bought:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8192990183

Your comments got me searching, and I thought it would be pretty nice to have this one. Sold!

(A good search line was "sim city, -2000, -3000, -4, -streets, -snes, -CD". It seemed to single out this stuff pretty well.)
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was looking on eBay in the UK. That's just one of several box variations. The old PC games almost always had like half a dozen box art variations. Which is both cool and annoying. Mostly annoying

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bringing this back up instead of starting a new one...

Over the weekend, I dug up a few boxes of my old DOS games from the parents' basement. Everything is complete, in great shape, and there are roughly 100 of them dating from 1986-1994. I got away from computer gaming once I got into console stuff, but there's so much good stuff from those days of PC gaming.

I have a DOS machine that I setup a year ago or so to play games from the-underdogs, so I pulled a few disks and installed some of these (glad they still worked). It makes me want to hook up the C128 and Amiga, as well. Further, it gets the collecting bug going in me. I rarely see old PC games out there (especially boxed and complete) - the last time was several years ago, when I wasn't interested, of course. I picked up a box of about 8 Sierra titles, all complete, for $5. Sold them on eBay for $10. How thrilling.

So, two questions. Who here (still) collects "classic" computer games? Got any pictures of your collection? Also, do you have much luck finding them? I've got some Lucas Arts stuff, some full-versions of Apogee shareware titles, and lots of other random stuff. Some of my favorites are the Electronic Arts games packaged similarly to gatefold records. I want more of those!
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Well, as you all know, I normally scout the flea market for old PC games to resell on eBay. But every once in a while I'll stumble upon -something- that makes me go "Wait a sec. I HAVE TO OWN THIS!", so I keep it. Of course, I can't get many classic games to run on Windows XP (and to be honest I hate setting up DOSBox and such), so it often ticks me off... but still.

I probably have around... 100-150 different PC titles. Around 30 or so are boxed. I unfortunately had a lot more boxes but I had to throw them away. I kept the docs, though, those are in a box somewhere.

I started playing games in 1988, but I got into PC gaming in 1999, when I got a bunch of games from Columbia House, during their short-lived PC game of the month club. I got Homeworld, Septerra Core, Gabriel Knight Mysteries, Phantasmagoria Stagefright, and others for cheap from there!

Among the titles in my collection, I have...

Homeworld 1 (GOTY, no box), 2 (boxed)
    Gabriel Knight 1+2 (no box), 3 (no box)
    Unreal 2 (boxed)
    Doom III (boxed)
    Half-Life and all the games on the platinum pack (loose CDs, now on Steam)
    Three Law and Order games (don't play them because they're in JAVA, boxed)
    Three CSI games (boxed)

And a lot of others. I don't collect for any console other than my GBA, but the PC still has a place in my heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

pc collecting is a hard thing to put a "value" on
    here is my current collection:

pc game collection 56k beware!

most people would proably value the original non-platinum ff7 to be valuable, or maybe the megaman or castlevania ports.

the "piper" game was a big holy grail for me, and its proably worthless to 99.99% of the collectors out there.

I think the ultima collection there goes for BIG MONEY$$ on ebay or something. but I think pc gaming will always be a niche thing to collect.
    but thats just my two cents.

I still have a ton of boxed pc games back at my parents house, everything from kings quest 1 to day of the testicle to the pc ports of many nes games like ninja gaiden 1 and 2 and street fighter, I'd love to get those back..but i have no idea what boxes they were put in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I may get flamed for this but here goes anyway.

No I dont collect PC games.

There are soo many reasons why I dont like PC gaming.(to put it in the nicest way since hate is such a strong word lol)

The main reason being compatibility problems between the software and hardware.

PC gaming is a constant uphill battle when even attempting to play a new game or the older DOS games.

Its expensive and all too time consuming to try to get ONE fucking PC game to work the way it should the majority of the time.

I have had TWO new PCs one was a Pentium 3 and now a year old P4 and only Half the games I bought for either computer would run without constantly upgrading freaking video cards , RAM and Patches or whatever, >like I said A CONSTANT uphill battle< and that just takes away from the fun of gaming for me.
    A lot of the games I bought for my PCs I simply gave away out of frustration, and that= lots of wasted $$$

The only reason I like my PC is that it keeps me connected to the world and many fellow gamers, and I LUV the emulation that it provides for all the older consoles that I grew up playing from NES/Genesis to N64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256
    most people would proably value the original non-platinum ff7 to be valuable, or maybe the megaman or castlevania ports.

the "piper" game was a big holy grail for me, and its proably worthless to 99.99% of the collectors out there.

I think the ultima collection there goes for BIG MONEY$$ on ebay or something. but I think pc gaming will always be a niche thing to collect.
    but thats just my two cents.

I still have a ton of boxed pc games back at my parents house, everything from kings quest 1 to day of the testicle to the pc ports of many nes games like ninja gaiden 1 and 2 and street fighter, I'd love to get those back..but i have no idea what boxes they were put in.
    Yeah, for some reason that awful FF7 PC port nets a lot more money than the PSX version. I actually own the same version that you do, and I bought it for two bucks! I want to sell it, but... heck, it's a FF game. Even if it is part 7 (which I HATE).

I remember you mentioning Piper a while back. Worthless, maybe, but it's still a very interesting find. It's got sentimental value, right? So it's wroth it to you, and that's what matters in the end.

Unfortunately most Sim games before The Sims aren't worth anything these days. They got re-released so many times they're worthless. EA sucks.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper
    Yeah, for some reason that awful FF7 PC port nets a lot more money than the PSX version. I actually own the same version that you do, and I bought it for two bucks! I want to sell it, but... heck, it's a FF game. Even if it is part 7 (which I HATE).
    What's so awful about the port? Granted, it doesn't really have proper 3D acceleration and it will require some persuasion before it will run under Windows 2000/XP, but that's not at all uncommon for PC games of that era and even without hardware acceleration it doesn't look worse than the Playstation version.

And it came in a really cool box. Well, maybe not as cool as the nice shiny FF8 box.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    What's so awful about the port? Granted, it doesn't really have proper 3D acceleration and it will require some persuasion before it will run under Windows 2000/XP, but that's not at all uncommon for PC games of that era and even without hardware acceleration it doesn't look worse than the Playstation version.

And it came in a really cool box. Well, maybe not as cool as the nice shiny FF8 box.
    Well, the improper 3D acceleration for one, then we have the crappy graphics (which look worse than the PSX at times), and the awful MIDI music which uses random sounds instead of something equal to the PSX's audio system. That, and there really wasn't much technical support for the game after it came out.

There's fan made patches that address these issues, so at least that's not so bad... It's just that the game feels entirely rushed and incomplete. Like they didn't really bother to fix the bugs that popped up when they ported the game, you know?

Insert Coin (Level 0) NickmasterX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a good adventure game collection from back in the day, complete Sam n Max Hit the road (with all the special nick nacks) and Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis, Sierra games, ect

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm at 82 PC games.

I like playing on PC alot, I always have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC Games rarely work for me. They've been this way my whole life. I guess thats why I like console games a lot more, because they work when you want them to, well usually.

If you collect PC games, good for you, there are some good ones out there. Really the only one I still play from time to time is Diablo II. I wish I could still play Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and C&C Red Alert!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I collect pc games all the way back to C64. I'm glad to see others do that here as well.

Regarding an earlier comment, if anyone here is about to throw out boxes to games, let me know