Thread: saturn launch titles and box variations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default saturn launch titles and box variations

what are the box variations of the following games, and some background info would be good too

Virtua Fighter
    Virtua Fighter remix
    Virtua Cop
    Daytona USA
    Virtua Figthter 2

here is what i have:

Virtua Fighter - Disc Only
    Virtua Fighter remix - standard jewel case /w back, front cover unfolds into a poster
    Virtua Cop - part of a cardboard longbox with Daytona and VF2
    Daytona USA - standard saturn longbox, and part of the mentioned cardboard freebie
    Virtua Fighter 2 - saturn longbox with silver instead of white, and part of the VC/Daytona/VF2 cardboard freebie

if i remember correctly, virtua fighter was a launch title, but was pretty piss poor, and months later sega offered VFremix as part of a mail-in offer of some sort

so how were these two games packaged, i dont think VF was ever a packin, so am i safe to assume there is a long box version out there?

virtua cop is the same story, i have never seen a long box version out there, but i dont think it was ever a packin

did VF2 (or sega rally for that matter) come in a white box rather than silver? what other saturn games came with this silver box?

help is appreciated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, i checked dp (like i shouldve done first) and virtua cop was packaged with a gun, and in a standard jewel case (why?)

but no info on virtua fighter, VF Remix, or the silver boxes

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtua Fighter was a saturn pack in title. I know because I received a "not for resale" jewel case copy when I bought one in september 95. I also recieved free long box copies of Clockwork Knight and Worldwide Soccer to go with it.

EDIT:

Virtua Fighter remix - standard jewel case /w back, front cover unfolds into a poster
    if i remember correctly, virtua fighter was a launch title, but was pretty piss poor, and months later sega offered VFremix as part of a mail-in offer of some sort
    Indeed they did. That version of Virtual Fighter remix just came in a generic not for resale cardboard sleeve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, i messed up

my copy of virtua fighter is the not for resale version in a regular jewel case

my copy of VFremix is just the disc, i have yet to see this game with a sleeve or box of any kind

youre saying it comes in a sleeve, similar to the style of demo discs and the 3-pack?

so confusing

bottom line is i really like the saturn long boxes. even though they are a pain in the ass to store and maintain (fragile muther humpers). i figured remix would not come with one, and i guess virtua cop and virtua fighter never came with them either. it makes me sad

though i guess this means that the saturn was the last system to be bundled with a game at launch. that kindof makes the 399 price tag a little easier to deal with, and it makes the "coup" of sony's 299 launch price a little less shiny. i wonder if there are any hardcore saturn fans that dabble in graphic design that want to make long box covers for these games? im sure there are enough loose copies of all of these games out there to match them with, no cannibalizing is needed with complete originals

and with all of that drama out of the way, any experts want to chime in on the silver saturn games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup Virtua Fighter Remix was a mail in offer for people who bought the sega saturn earlier..

I own both versions Virtua Fighter Remix in a jewel case with manual and insert (says not for resale) IIRC

and also I own long box retail version of Virtua Fighter Remix as well ....

hope that helps ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

crap, there is a long box version...

ive never seen it, and im going to guess the rarity is up there, since VF2 came out not too long after remix

:/