Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yet more worthless legislation

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default yet more worthless legislation

Funny, after so many years of playing these games you'd think I'd be one of the most uncontrollably violent people around.

http://komonews.com/stories/35494.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"If you sit up and watch this and play these games over and over again... it seems that this is alright to walk up and hit a police officer over the head with a bat,"
    how F'ing stupid do you haveto be to believe this is OK to do...

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    "If you sit up and watch this and play these games over and over again... it seems that this is alright to walk up and hit a police officer over the head with a bat,"
    how F'ing stupid do you haveto be to believe this is OK to do...
    Anyone that lets media control them THAT MUCH needs to be locked up. A movie would have the same impact if this were true.

I play Kaboom a lot but you don't see my catching falling bombs do you? no. you don't.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't we still blame Metallica and Ozzy for everything?
    GET OUT OF THE WALLS CHEATER!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shouldn't there be a website we can post comments to the legislaters or officially about that bill? It's utterly absurd!

With every ongoing leap in technology and interaction, blame will be afoot given humankind's inborn interest in violence and sex.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know you guys, but when i eat mushrooms i grow twice my size, flowers do nothing tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's absolutely horrid!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

It's legislation for Washington state, so it has no way of passing.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So if i hit someone with my car does this mean its the car makers fault they made the car?

Didn't think so.

This bill is going nowhere because of that little bit about video game companies being located inside the state.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this better not pass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Opponents argue that the proposed bill would shift the responsibility from the person who actually committed the crime.
    Yeah, damn right. All this would turn into is a pointing game.

"I just killed a guy"
    "Thats nice, who sold you the game? We'll put him in the chair instead of you."
    "Um.....it was that guy!"

Not only that, finding hardcore evidence that proves who actually sold the game to the minor beyond the shadow of a doubt is near impossible.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

assult guns dont kill people, GTA does. can you imagine the irony if we find ourselves living in a country where violent games are banned but the actual weapons depicted in the games are perfectly legal to own.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    assult guns dont kill people, GTA does. can you imagine the irony if we find ourselves living in a country where violent games are banned but the actual weapons depicted in the games are perfectly legal to own.
    Wow, just wow. Unbelievable moment of shocking clarity. I had never thought of it that way

Kudos to you for opening my eyes.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I <3 komo 4 News. :) I watch that news station like crazy whenever I go to Washington, I grew up on those guys. :P

Politics in Washington is so messed up right now. o_O Even if it did pass, the law would probably be killed in a few months.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Not to mention the Surpreme Court would strike it down if they agreed to hear it.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to mention the Surpreme Court would strike it down if they agreed to hear it.
    Judiciary 4 life, dog!

As for the article, I can't say I've ever seen a bigger pile of horse...

Generally, the law is smart enough to draw the line and say: "Someone else's volition got got in the way? Guess what? You're not liable." There are a few exceptions, but given videogames' rather loose correlation to violence, I think these guys are facing an uphill battle. At least in the eyes of anyone sane. [/quote]
    I am the reinforcements.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately its a case of minority making the rules.

It only takes one bent priest to bespurge an entire church.
    one fundementalist terrorist to alienate an entire religeon.

Likewise it only takes one fricking moron to go on a car crashing, cop killing, rampage to make the 10million or whatever players of GTA/Manhunt to get thier game banned.

Unfortunately there are people out there that do not have the mental capacity to distinguish between a game and reality, they are very few, but as we have recently seen in game emulated killings, I would rather have all computer games in the world banned than loose a child to one of these dicks. For that matter than to loose anyones child if given the black and white choice.

But unfortunately we dont have the chioce that destinctly. So measures have to be taken to protect the public.

Its the media of information that is always the first under attack, ie people seacrh the internet for unsuitable material, so with blinkered vision, the government first try to restrict or deflame the internet as the culprit, whereas the fault lies in the purpetrators, not the medium.

Same here, the fault lies with the insane loosers trying to make themselves destinguished in real life as the hero they see themselves as; in certain games.

How do we find them, before they become destinguished.

it does draw a very similar parallel to "guns don't kill people, people kill people", now in the case of the likes of the internet there is an argument that guns only have one purpose and that is to kill, so by default the whole "GDKP,PKP" argument is bollocks as the internet has millions of possative uses.

But what possative uses for society are violent games, I can't think of any. They are possibly worse than the guns in that bringing them into society, will de-sensitise us to the true horror of a violent crime, when society as a whole becomes immune to that horror, it isnt unusal to accept some of it, that little more into our real lives, thus even level headed people, who might not emulate a game, may then find it acceptable to carry a gun (in defence even).

turning into a violent society, is done either as a result of drastic action (war) or one step at a time, I see violent games as one of these steps.

now after all that I'm also anti-censorship, and beleive in my right to play such games, because I am stable (or at least I think I am), but we do have to draw the line somewhere. we need to ban morons from getting these games.

Can I ask anybody who thinks this legislation absurd, rather than just throwing thier hands up in the air in disgust how the "powers that be" should handle this situation, as I think just throwing it out as stupid may be as blinkered as the legislation itself.

I dont think responsibility for the crime will be removed from the offender as somone in the article claimed, however some responsibilty should fall on the instigators of the crime
    http://www.videopac.org The Worlds only dedicated Videopac & Odyssey 2 forums.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    I <3 komo 4 News. I watch that news station like crazy whenever I go to Washington, I grew up on those guys. :P

Politics in Washington is so messed up right now. o_O Even if it did pass, the law would probably be killed in a few months.
    I'm from Washington, too, and this bill seems to really reflect the mindset of parents out there. My graduating school class was known throughout the school system as the worst ever. We had more behavioral problems and a higher dropout rate than any other class in over 10 years, and every class under us was worse.

Parents really didn't want to parent their kids; they wanted school or somebody else's parents to do it. This is exactly why all my high-school friends dropped out of college, attempted suicide, and lived at home with their moms until they were 25--because nobody ever bothered to give them any direction. And now they want EBgames to do it.

I realize your point Lurpak, and to an extent, I agree with you. But there is something despicable about this because this is really how an increasing number of people think out there.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Indeed. Many good points have been made in this thread.

And what about those of us who play games like the GTA series to let off steam, so that they don't actually go postal in real life? That's something that's often overlooked in the discussion of videogame violence. And indeed, what stops the influenceable person from renting out movies like Natural Born Killers and emulate the movie's characters?

Finding scapegoats is the easy way out, but that's the way too often used when examining issues like violence in society.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

some how I find myself defending this legislation, even though its not entirly my point of veiw, but when you say that people use the game to let off steam, thus helping prevent them from doing crazy things in real life...

Well surely then the problem lies in a lifestyle that facilitates the build up of steam, and letting off the steam is a solution but not a cure, the true cure would be to lead a life where the "steam " does not build up, and could it not thus be argued thet this lifestyle of pent up aggression is a result of a society anger being manifest in an individual, an anger developed by frustration at street crime, bad traffic, and a lack of moral standards within society.

and then to the point of "what would stop these wacko's renting NBK and doing similar"...

well I think youve answered your own question, Surely a monitoring of the industry that produces such material, as video games, movies, where they could suffer consequences for there flagrant lack of respect for human life and thier influences on society.

you only have to look at geographical locations to see how dangerous de-sensitising can be, 3rd world countries, ethnic cleansing, becomes acceptable. Ghettos where people used to play with each other as children see the rise in violence in that localised areas, join gangs and end up killing each other.
    You can see these attrocities spread geographically rather than pop up isolated, because of what becomes acceptable.

stop the acceptance and reduce the crime.

some people should never be allowed to play these games or see these films, unfortunately thier is currently no way of distinguishing between wackos and stable game players at the gamestore counter.
    until there is, I personally would not feel a loss at these games being removed from the shelves.

a great game will always come through, and to go further, Im getting a bit fed up of 50% of all game titles being a first person shoot em up, aint it time we started looking for the next gaming development.

what happened to nintendos gold standard..FFS a blood stained chainsaw controller !!!!

so whats the solution ?
    http://www.videopac.org The Worlds only dedicated Videopac & Odyssey 2 forums.