Thread: whats the difference between these two atari VCS's?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default whats the difference between these two atari VCS's?

One has different colours on the rim of it and on the text on the machine...
    the same for the controllers, the dots around the circle on the controller are in orange.. is there any difference to these? liek rarity? etc?

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/consoles.html

My guess is, the one on the left is a bit heavier, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ha cheers flack.. your guess is right...
    which one would be better to hold onto?

Atari VCS - CX2600

or

Atari VCS - CX2600 Sunnyvale Edition

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Sunnyvale "Heavy Sixer" is from the original 1st-run of VCS's (only ones made in the US), so most folks would prefer that one. Apart from those who need every variation, of course

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow, i had no idea there were so many different versions of the 2600, damn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cauterize
    ha cheers flack.. your guess is right...which one would be better to hold onto?
    The "heavy sixer" is considered more valuable for two reasons:

- It was the first Atari 2600.
    - It is considered to have better video output.

If you're wanting to hold on to one for financial reasons, keep the heavy sixer. If you're wanting to make money, sell the heavy sixer and keep the other one. Personally, I'd hook up the heavy sixer and keep the other around for a spare.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default r

There's a lot of variations there I didn't know about either...I think they may even be missing a few I did know about....just variations in 4 and 6 switch cases...

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

It's worth pointing out that there ARE some compatibility problems with the Heavy Sixer. Most of the problems come from the fact that some of the later releases (ie, the red-label Atari games) don't fit into the cartridge slot very well, so you'll have to ram them in pretty good, and getting them out can be tricky. On top of that, I have a copy of Ghost Manor that doesn't work on my Heavy Sixer... it resets every single time I beat the first level.

There was a thread about the compatibility of the Heavy Sixer over at AtariAge if you're really interested, but it seems sort of hit-or-miss... a number of people have claimed Air-Sea Battle doesn't work on it, but I haven't had any problems with my copy.

--Zero

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the heavy sixers were hand-made, too, right?

oh, and they don't call 'em "heavy" for nothing... they give the xbox a run for its money in terms of weight
    Frobba.com - Stuff No One Cares About

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    It's worth pointing out that there ARE some compatibility problems with the Heavy Sixer. Most of the problems come from the fact that some of the later releases (ie, the red-label Atari games) don't fit into the cartridge slot very well, so you'll have to ram them in pretty good, and getting them out can be tricky. On top of that, I have a copy of Ghost Manor that doesn't work on my Heavy Sixer... it resets every single time I beat the first level.

There was a thread about the compatibility of the Heavy Sixer over at AtariAge if you're really interested, but it seems sort of hit-or-miss... a number of people have claimed Air-Sea Battle doesn't work on it, but I haven't had any problems with my copy.

--Zero
    do you know the URL?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damn you cauterize, you got an atari brand heavy sixer...mine's sears labeled, but a heavy 6er is a heavy 6er....
    They're right about the weight though. Damn heavy sixer weighs almost as much as my mom.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Except I'm looking at the picture above & I don't see any heavy sixer.

btw, this is a heavy sixer:

In the above picture it's tough to determine color, but the colors on rim & text is just a very minor variation, not the difference between a heavy sixer & regular six switch Atari. There are many variations. Not much difference in rarity. Sunnyvale stickers can & have been found on the bottom of Heavy sixers, light sixers & 4-swithers all the same. All heavy sixers I've ever seen with stickers intact were from Sunnyvale, most others were not, but some were still produced there too. The original heavy sixer what I've linked to & the Sears version are both a little higher in price as well as the Atari 2800(although technically it had a different name, still a 2600 at heart it's also way higher price wise), but most others fall into the same price range. JRs being the cheapest, 6-switchers being the higher. I think quality dropped with every revision.

I think the Sears 4 switch is the rarest based off personal finds, at least it is in these parts. I've owned over 50 Atari systems over the years & that's the one model I've yet to see. 2800 doesn't count seeing as it was never released in the states.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mr. Addict makes a good point--it is rather difficult to tell for sure from that picture whether it's a heavy sixer or not.

There are come distinguishing features you can use to identify what is and what is not a heavy sixer.

Check out this pic of a heavy sixer . . .

http://www.atari-computermuseum.de/p...me/2600/h6.jpg

And compare it to a regular 6-switcher.

http://www.atari-computermuseum.de/p...0/cx2600_2.jpg

First off, notice the corners. The heavy sixer's corners are far more rounded while a regular 2600 has much sharper, angled corners.

The sixer also has a nice thick trim on the side while the 2600 barely has any trim along the side at all.

You'll also notice that the trim beneath the woodgrain on the sixer has a slight bow to it. The regular 2600 has none.

The other way to tell is to compare weights (duh). The heavy sixer shouldn't just feel "sorta" heavier--you should notice a very DEFINITE difference in weights. If you were to pick the system up with one hand, you should be able to hold the regular 2600 no problem. If you're holding a heavy sixer, tho, you should feel noticably more strain on your wrist. There should be no doubt that one is heavier.

If you discover you do indeed have a heavy sixer and a regular 6-switcher, then I'd follow Mr. Flack's advice.

If you only want a siingle Atari and could care less about which one you have, then sell the heavy sixer--you should get more for it.

Otherwise, hold on to the heavy sixer and get rid of the other one. The sixer is a more collectible version to have and (I think) looks sharper than the regular.

Of course, if you're insane like me and want to keep every variation you find, then keep 'em both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wufner
    Of course, if you're insane like me and want to keep every variation you find, then keep 'em both.
    Hah, that's me. I've got a heavy sixer, a regular sixer, a four switch woody, a darth vader, and two juniors, one with each rainbow stripe.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Quote Originally Posted by wufner
    Hah, that's me. I've got a heavy sixer, a regular sixer, a four switch woody, a darth vader, and two juniors, one with each rainbow stripe.
    Haha! What's wrong with us? There's just something that's fascinating about 'em and I can't bring myself to part with (or pass up) a new variation.

I have one or two more than you, but you have the one I really want--an original heavy sixer. That would definitely be the centerpiece of my Atari collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by The Manimal
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    There was a thread about the compatibility of the Heavy Sixer over at AtariAge if you're really interested
    do you know the URL?
    Well, this must have been what I was thinking about at the time, but it's a very short thread. A more useful thread is probably this one, which basically talks about the pros/cons of the various revisions.

And yeah, I have 6 Atari's sitting around too. Ironically, the only version I don't have is the regular 4-switch Woody! (I don't think the Sears systems/games were ever released in Canada, so I don't bother with those). For some reason, I have a hard time parting with any of my Atari's, even when I have two of the same model.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Do PAL Heavy Sixers exist?

(I'm guessing both cauterize's examples are PAL)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cool, i know have this memorized heavy sixers have a more rounded and larger trim bows in the front, also i will go check my sears video arcade now to see which version it is...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aren't the joysticks for the heavy 6er also different? The early joysticks have a different feel to them and when you look inside there are springs above each switch.

Where these joysticks only put out with the heavy 6er?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop
    Aren't the joysticks for the heavy 6er also different? The early joysticks have a different feel to them and when you look inside there are springs above each switch.

Where these joysticks only put out with the heavy 6er?
    The easier way to tell the original Heavy Sixer joysticks apart is to look at the top of the stick (assuming the rubber sheath is still there). The Heavy Sixer ones have a noticable depression on them that isn't on the normal sticks. It's hard to explain, and I have no pictures to show, but if you have a Heavy Sixer stick, then you'll know when you look at it. And yes, I'm fairly certain that these were ONLY available with Heavy Sixers. As to whether they're better than the normal ones, then I guess that's a matter of opinion. They seem almost the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Do PAL Heavy Sixers exist?
    I wouldn't have thought so... since these were just the very early runs of machines, I would imagine they never intended to market it outside of the US until they were convinced of it's success. But then again, I found my Heavy Sixer in a thrift store here in Winnipeg, so obviously SOME of them ended up outside of the country. I suppose cauterize could answer this better than I could though.

If PAL Heavy Sixers do indeed exist, then what about SECAM Heavy Sixers?

--Zero