Thread: Retro Gamer - Issue 6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Retro Gamer - Issue 6

I just picked this issue up on the newstand and I must say I am impressed. It came with a disk with a bunch of classic games, although I've yet to try any of them out. The magazine is out of the UK, and the cover price was a bit steep $11. Due to that fact I doubt I'll be picking it up regularly, but those on the other side of the Atlantic have a nice little magazine here. Everytime I've seen a retro magazine try to lauch in the past few years I expected quick deaths for a variety of reasons. This one I can see staying around for a bit.

The physical quality of the magazine is a bit better than I've seen some other magazines recently. By that I mean the artwork is very professional, and the pages are nice and glossy. What drew me to it in the first place was the article teased on the cover called "atari worship" showing pictures of a 130XE, and a 400. Any magazine daring to show the 400 has to be decent. The article was very well written and provided a complete and through history of the PC line.

Another interesting article documented building your own coin-op. While the information wasn't unique or even cutting edge (you can find it all over the net), it was nicely presented, and included almost 50 pictures detailing each step of construction. At the end of the article they did a blurb on readers cabs, one owned by a "John Hardie", I don't imagine this is our own CX2K, but it was interesting nonetheless.

I haven't finished reading it yet, I'm saving it for a trip I have next week. Any one else see this yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's about a thousand previous RG topics. Issue 8 should be out here imminently and should include Mayhem's CGE report.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I will actually be a subject in RG myself some point shortly as I'm being interviewed myself for an RG article

Mainly to do with the insane C64 cart collecting side (and DP will get a mention in there once again!).

Speaking of which, I was gonna get the CGE article scanned... something for me to do over the weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Coolies I might actually be tempted to buy one instead of just flicking through them in Smiths each month

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked up Issue 8. I loved the article on Treasure..

Funnily enough, i'll be in issue 9.. I did a piece for the "Arcade Hunt" section..

Joe.
    Xbox Live Tag - GunstarHeroUK