Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current-gen LIMITED EDITION games...opinions?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crush Crawfish
    Wasn't there a Special Edtion Batman: Rise of sin Tzu that came with special figure?
    I think it came with a shirt, but I may be mistaken...

I almost picked that up because one of the local GameStops was selling the new, limited edition version for $10.00 and the regular version for $20.00. That's just weird.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    Mario Kart: Double Dash!!! with Demo Disc
    Metroid Prime with Metroid Prime 2 Demo

Both are completely limited. In that the next time they do a run, the demo is removed. Hope they count.
    Mario Kart is already becoming pretty hard to find. They were only available with pre-order.... most Gamestops don't have them anymore. I recommend picking one up before they become very rare.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Robotech: Battlecry -- Collector's Edition Gamecube, Xbox and PS2
    All came with soundtrack CD, five pieces of full-color artwork, a T-shirt featuring an image of Skull One, a lenticular motion card highlighting the Veritech Fighter's transformation process, and a numbered dog tag.

A year ago they were plentiful and cheap on ebay but now they're pretty scarce although they should still be pretty cheap if you can find'em.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    I have the Halo 2 le preordered. What's another $5?

A #1 at McDonalds.

I ordered the LE also for the cool case and the bonus DVD which should be alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidX01
    Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    I have the Halo 2 le preordered. What's another $5?

A #1 at McDonalds.

I too have it pre-ordered. Counting down the days until November 9th.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well as far as imports go, I will always pay the extra cash and get the limited edition version whenever possible, since it's always the more desirable one. But for domestic games, it depends on waht it is. If it's one of those evil only at bubblebuster video rental things, I'll just ignore it. I think it's wrong to make a special edition that's a rental only, because it just encourages people to steal it and it makes all known copies very unlikely to even be in good condition. This is great for creating instant rarities, but it's still an evil practice.

Otherwise, I'll probably just get the regular version, unless the limited edition is something I really want. Then I'll get that one and I may even get both versions. But I'm not gonna take the time and spend all the money required to get all 100 disk variations or all 100 box variations, or whatever. Those kinda things just piss me off. Yeah, they are really cool, but if you're gonna be like Working Designs and make a dozen different versions of the same disk, expecting that people will want to collect them all, at least give people a way to know which disk they're getting without having to buy it first! Think about it, was there any feasible way for someone to collect all the different Lunar disks other than the secondhand market, when they originally sold for about $50 a piece with no way to tell which one you were getting? That was a terribly misguided marketing scheme that could've been handled much better and actually truly had the collector in mind, but they blew it.

So I dunno. As a general rule, I dislike them, but I still collect them anyway. They should always be truly different besides just the packaging though. At least change the label on the disk somehow so if all you have is the cart or the disk out in the wild, you still know that it has something special about it. And another thing that I would really like to see which I don't believe has been done yet is that the limited editions should have some kind of bonus content in the game. An extra level, an extra character, an extra vehicle, a special weapon, something to make it unique over the regular version in a way other than cosmetic appearance. They do this alot in the PC gaming world, but it still seems to be very rare in the console gaming world now.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!