Thread: Hardest RPG's EVER

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orrimarrko
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One
    Phantasy Star 2. The dungeon with all the warps would be damn near impossible without a guide.
    Come on man, you have to be kidding.

I know it's just an opinion, but I finished that game (first try on the ending) over a decade ago. That's cake compared to some of the toughies today.
    Not sure what you mean by "first try on the ending", if you mean multiple endings your are thinking of Phantasy Star 3 not 2. 3 was easy, 2 MUCH harder (and better).

Tom
    Visit my web page for lots of games for sale/trade www.TomMage.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

The final boss in Dragon Warrior IV was pretty tough for me....I think he morphs at least 5 times...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The final boss in the NES version of Bard's Tale was very hard (don't think I beat him). You were limited as to how powerful you could get in NES version which made it very difficult. Had no problem with the computer version.

Tom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

TomMage wrote-
    That would probably be "Order of the Griffon", perhaps my favorite console D+D game. Great music, great game, went by true D+D rules. PW saves sucked in general, too many letters that look like other letters or numbers. If you used the Turbo Booster you could save without using password and actually inside a dungeon, with password you would appear outside dungeon. Gosh that was a great game
    Thanks! I sold my TG-16 nearly 11 years ago and had forgot the name of it. It was fun right up to the dungeon I named off. I couldnt find a turbo booster otherwise I'm certain I would have enjoyed all the games I had for it. Think I gave it to a friend with all the games I had for it for money I owed him. I actualy wish I could have given em the cash instead.

Hmm, maybe you can help me with the title of another semi-difficult game. It was on the NES. It was a shooter/top view platformer where you played a robot going around colecting chips. The various chips could be used to power up your weapons or buy weapons. I almost want to say it was a namco game but I cant belive thats right. The only clue I can remember to the name is "Guardian". Very fun game with another annoying PW feature.

Games that require a PW should use the Castleveina aproach. Symbols.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sad to say that I had a hell of a time beating Jecht at the end of Final Fantasy X. Partly because I didn't ever level up my characters, and partly because I didn't use a guide to get all the special weapons. I probably tried to beat him 20+ times at approx. 15 minutes a pop. I got so frustrated that I quit the game. Finally started again a couple of months ago and got really lucky to beat him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze
    Hmm, maybe you can help me with the title of another semi-difficult game. It was on the NES. It was a shooter/top view platformer where you played a robot going around colecting chips. The various chips could be used to power up your weapons or buy weapons. I almost want to say it was a namco game but I cant belive thats right. The only clue I can remember to the name is "Guardian". Very fun game with another annoying PW feature.
    For some reason I know of this game...but I've forgotten the name, too. Help guys! :O

Damn right. Belmont's Revenge 4-characterl password = genius. Only has four symbols, too - yay! Four hearts = sound test.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The mystery NES game is The Guardian Legend. It's by Irem and published in the US by Broderbund (sp?).

As for the comment about Star Ocean: The Second Story, Indalecio is a weenie. :P I can beat him without doing the Cave of Trials first, I can beat the Cave of Trials easily, I can beat Gabriel (the boss at the end of the CoT) easily, and I can also beat Indalecio unlimited with no problems. Yes, I like to brag. :P Now, Iseria Queen, SHE'S the bitch of the game. And everybody gets considerably harder on the higher difficulties. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that those things in the game are tough at first, but it's still a very fair challenge and everything can be mastered. :) You just have to have the right approach to it. You can't think of it like other pussy RPGs where you expect to die once or twice on a boss AT MOST, and where you can over-level your way through any challenge. There are some things in SO2 that levels won't help you with. You have to develop skill, strategy, and be determined. I would liken it more to an old-school action game where you die over and over, but each time you get a little better.

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok it wasnt that hard but it was more annoying than anything i've played so far and i just got rid of it after awhile
    ________
    Honda GL650 history
    Last edited by Chainsaw_Charlie; 02-07-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Default Re: Hardest RPG

Quote Originally Posted by TomMage
    Well I'd have to say Lufia 2. Not the normal game though that took me about 80 hours, the Ancient Dungeon. I probably put 30 hours into Ancient Dungeon, got to bottom a couple times but could not beat the boss (you only get a few attacks before he runs). In fact I don't know ANYONE who has beat the boss. No save available, if you want to try set aside about 4-8 hours to even give it a good try. The normal game is also known for having some tough puzzles, one of them pretty much impossible to solve (supposed to be hardest puzzle in video games). Lufia 2 is actually prequel to Lufia 1 by the way.
    I totally agree. o_O The Ancient Dungeon has to be the hardest thing in any RPG. The "hardest puzzle in the world" or whatever it was called wasn't quite so hard, though. :P I beat it without any help in about 20-30 minutes. It's just an ordinary tile-sliding puzzle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i had a hard time with Hoshigami. you get outnumbered 2 or 3:1, and they are always higher levels than you. (which means you hit them for 1hp, and they hit you for 30hp). Battles last for up to 2 hours with no save feature during battles.

then i found out there was a cap...you could level up to a certain level, and the enemies wouldn't be higher levels anymore,,,by that time i had pretty much quit playing (i guess i got about half way through the game) i liked that game tho.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I'd have to say Lufia 2. Not the normal game though that took me about 80 hours, the Ancient Dungeon. I probably put 30 hours into Ancient Dungeon, got to bottom a couple times but could not beat the boss (you only get a few attacks before he runs). In fact I don't know ANYONE who has beat the boss. No save available, if you want to try set aside about 4-8 hours to even give it a good try. The normal game is also known for having some tough puzzles, one of them pretty much impossible to solve (supposed to be hardest puzzle in video games). Lufia 2 is actually prequel to Lufia 1 by the way.

Tom
    I will second this vote. This is also the RPG i put the most time into, next to FF3 mostly because the sparatically delete.
    The hardest RPG for me to get into was Aidyn Chronicles(N64) i think i played it for a total of 3 hours.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

7th Saga is a pretty tough game. Its biggest problem though are the apprentice battles. They are way too unfair. They level up as you do, which in theory is supposed to make the battles fairly close. It would have been interesting, unfortunately the developers for whatever reason seem to make the apprentices always have twice the stats you do, making the odds against you. They can usually just wipe you out in one hit or spell, even if you cast a defense up. Esuna and Lux are the worst examples. I'd love to know who the hell was play testing this game. This is something I would've fixed ASAP before the game was released.

Its a pity cause if it wasn't for this problem, I don't think 7th Saga was that bad a game. I thought the battles in the game was generally tough, but it was the main thing that set it apart from other Snes RPGs. Fortunately there is a little trick around the apprentice problem. The apprentices only level up with your main character. Your partner can level up all he wants, and the apprentice will remain generally the same stats as the main character.

So for example, if your main character is Kamil, and he's level 20, then all the apprentices will be around that level if you fight them. If you let Kamil get killed in battle and have his partner character fight by their self and level up, you can wait until you've gotten them to level 25 or so. Then talk to the apprentice and fight them. Your partner will have a large advantage. This is very useful for the two parts of the game that force you to fight apprentices. (Patrof, and the sky rune)

Personally I think the easiest pair to beat the game with is Lux (the robot) and Valsu (the priest).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="Fuyukaze"]TomMage wrote-

Hmm, could be one of the few shooters I played, Guardian Legend? It was good fun if that's the one you are thinking of

Tom

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Hmmm, I thought of another one that hasn't been mentioned.

If anyone has played Vandal Hearts, I think all I need to say is... THOSE two battles.

First, the town of zombies battle. You can't kill the zombie people, yet... they attack you AND you automatically counterattack! >_< What the fuck, man? I kept losing the battle over and over because my characters kept killing all the zombie people. :/

THEN, if that battle wasn't bad enough, they throw that battle at you where you have to save the chick being lowered into the pit within a certain number of turns. Good grief is it difficult to finish off the battle in that excruciatingly tight time limit. Not to mention the enemies are super powerful.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel
    then i found out there was a cap...you could level up to a certain level, and the enemies wouldn't be higher levels anymore,,,by that time i had pretty much quit playing (i guess i got about half way through the game) i liked that game tho.
    Tactics Ogre was the same damn way but not nearly as bad. You had to spend about as much time training to level up your characters as you did actually battling. They had auto-mode though so I would always just put that on and go do something else. Let the characters level themselves up.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    Hmmm, I thought of another one that hasn't been mentioned.

If anyone has played Vandal Hearts, I think all I need to say is... THOSE two battles.

First, the town of zombies battle. You can't kill the zombie people, yet... they attack you AND you automatically counterattack! >_< What the fuck, man? I kept losing the battle over and over because my characters kept killing all the zombie people. :/
    Ha ha ha. I remember that battle. It was one of the most annoying I've ever seen in a strategy game, and I thought the same thing during it. Your party wants to PROTECT the mind controlled people, yet they friggin COUNTER ATTACK them! Sheesh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="Aussie2B"]

I totally agree. o_O The Ancient Dungeon has to be the hardest thing in any RPG. The "hardest puzzle in the world" or whatever it was called wasn't quite so hard, though. :P I beat it without any help in about 20-30 minutes. It's just an ordinary tile-sliding puzzle.
    Shoot, ORDINARY tile slide? If you beat that in 20-30 mins I'm guessing you've done a Rubix Cube with no problem too. Some people just have an "eye" for those things I guess, I'm good at most puzzles but that one frustrated the heck out of me.

Tom

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what i have heard tecmo's "secert of the stars" Is rether hard. I would also like to add that the first wild arms had some annoying puzzles in it.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

[quote="TomMage"]

Shoot, ORDINARY tile slide? If you beat that in 20-30 mins I'm guessing you've done a Rubix Cube with no problem too. Some people just have an "eye" for those things I guess, I'm good at most puzzles but that one frustrated the heck out of me.

Tom
    Hehe, I couldn't solve the Rubik's Cube to save my life. :) I seem to be pretty good at sliding-tile puzzles, I guess. o_O I remember my boyfriend didn't have the patience to do any of them in Wind Waker, but I did a ton of them for him in no time.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="Aussie2B"]

Tom
    Hehe, I couldn't solve the Rubik's Cube to save my life. I seem to be pretty good at sliding-tile puzzles, I guess. o_O I remember my boyfriend didn't have the patience to do any of them in Wind Waker, but I did a ton of them for him in no time.
    I did the tile slide about that quick too. I have never beat a rubix cube with out moving the stickers. Last time i tried i was 7 though...

I was also just reminded about how much i enjoyed Mario RPG.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com