Thread: An "Odd" find today...PS1 Demo

Peach (Level 3) Pop Culture Portal's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default An "Odd" find today...PS1 Demo

My brother-in-law gave me something today that I've never seen or heard of. It's a PS1 demo for Oddworld. I'll try to describe it the best I can. In a jewel case, just like most other PS1 games...it's sealed (still shrinkwraped), and says in the far left corner "For Trade Use Only Not For Resale." Also in bright red letters is the word "DEMO" followed by "this demo does not contain the latest...character interactions, movie compression, music & sound...it only gets better for Sept. '97!" If it doesn't have any of that, then what the heck is it? Is it something the game companies would send out to reviewers before the game was released?

My brother-in-law used to work for Squaresoft and he picked up all kinds of, well, crap, when he traveled to conventions, meetings, and so forth...this was the only console-type thing he ever acquired...everything else was PC related.

Any one else seen this or have any idea if it will be listed in the soon-to-be-released guide?
    All right youngens, bath time. Cover up your eyes and drop your britches! Who wants wax?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

on a totally non-related, yet related note, i was watching g4techtv or whatever they call it now the other day and was watching a special on oddworld on the show 'icons'. it was pretty cool. i never knew they submitted their cgi's to the acedemy for oscar review...and alot of the oddworld was created before they even decided to make a videogame out of it. also, oddysee was originally to be titled Soul Storm, which i'm glad they changed. the project manager or whatever title she had, didn't allow the programmers/artists/team to eat unhealthy, they had to hide donuts and such in their desk drawers. she also game out vitamens every morning...a healthy workers is a good worker...lol...normally i don't care for the channel, those guys/girls are such geeks it makes me sad, but if i see more quality stuff put together like this, i'll start watching.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I will double check with QotF tomorrow morning to see if we got to keep the known PS demo's in DP:Advanced. I got to see the book yesterday (Thursday) but I wasnt paying attention to weither or not it had those in it.

It sounds like its just the demo, though most of the PS demo's Ive seen are all in paper slip cases. Remember that Demos arnt finished games, and are usually ment to show off the basic game or a level. Dangerboy or Kevincure might know a little more.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's probably a trade demo (not consumer-released). Tell me the SLUS number (on the disc); if it starts with 8, it's not a consumer demo. Nothing of great value, but cool nonetheless. I'll add it to my list if you tell me the full name of the disc and the SLUS.

Peach (Level 3) Pop Culture Portal's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, let's see. The front of the game (or the paper insert at the front of the jewel case) says "Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee" while the cd itself says "Oddworld." The SLUS # is 90004. The CD itself also says "For Trade Use Only." I've played a little bit of it, and it's pretty much the first level of Abe's Oddysee.
    All right youngens, bath time. Cover up your eyes and drop your britches! Who wants wax?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok. This is just the standard Oddworld Abe's Oddysee Demo. I would guess that it was probably given out at E3 or something similar because of the markings, but it is a normal consumer product. The 900xx SLUS numbers are PS1 consumer demos from third parties.