Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snk/neo geo info wanted

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default snk/neo geo info wanted

Could anyone here point me towards some good Neo Geo info? Console not pocket. I'm intrigued by the little that I've seen about these systems. I was kind of in the wilderness during the period that it came out. I stopped doing anything with gaming after the NES/Genesis era until about '99 when I got a PS1. I'm toying with the idea of collecting it once I finish building (back) up my NES and Genesis collections. Also what's the going rate for this stuff?

Roger

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

www.neo-geo.com and www.neogeoforlife.com

the latter is good for hardware info

hope this helps

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neo-Geo is an excellent system. The system is a true 32bit experience. The home console is identical to the arcade boards. There is no loss of translation. I highly recommend it. The game selection is wide, but most "Great" games are usually fighting games like "King of Fighters" or "Samurai Shodown". There are some excellent shooters as well as platform games. I would look into it after you are done with the other collections. Ebay always has plenty of Neo auctions going. I do suggest you look into the arcade or "MVS" games mainly because they are cheaper than the home games. The home games for some stupid reason, can sell for thousands. The MVS games on ther other hand sell from 10 to maybe $300 depending on how new or rare the game is. Beautiful system overall, I love the Neo-Geo.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Dragon wrote:
    The system is a true 32bit experience.
    You need to do a bit more research. The Neo-Geo is actually only 16 bit.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglehunter
    The Dragon wrote:
    The system is a true 32bit experience.
    You need to do a bit more research. The Neo-Geo is actually only 16 bit.
    Actually, I believe they marketed it as being 24 bit, with a 16 bit and 8 bit processor. =DDD

But who knows, I could be wrong, I'm pretty sure it is "24" though.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

rscaramelo, welcome to Neo-Geo realm, I encourage you to check neo-geo.com, it's my fav system of all time, I started collecting Neo-Geo AES since 1994 and now I have every AES game. The first part of the site you should check is the master list, look at all the games made for each format. Most games are cheaper on MVS while there're exceptions.

While I love the system, I do not like most of the people in the scene, read some threads at Neo-Geo.com and some will gross you out (not for faint of heart), in fact I post a lot more here with non-Neo-Geo discussions.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-hellvin- wrote:
    Actually, I believe they marketed it as being 24 bit, with a 16 bit and 8 bit processor. =DDD
    It was a 16 bit gaming console but if you were to get into more technicalities then it would be 24 bit (16 bit video processor and 8 bit sound processor, I believe). But I know for sure it wasn't 32 bit. :P

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have every game
    Somehow i doubt that...

do you have a Euro Kizuna encounter???

If u don't u don' have every game

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The_EniGma wrote:
    Somehow i doubt that...

Maybe he means every AES game that pertains to the NA region. He could still have Kizuna Encounter although he wouldn't have the rarer copy. A lot of people don't consider getting all games for every region when collecting.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the links. I've been checking them. Could someone here breakdown to basics of the consoles and the handhelds that were put out? As I understand it, the early models took very expensive carts that were exactly what I played in the arcades. They also came out with really slow lesser-expensive cd consoles that were translations of the arcade games. Then there is the handheld which is pretty cheap on ebay. Could someone give me the pros and cons of each system. I'm leaning towards the slow cd system first because the cart system seems a bit expensive! Also, how "slow" is "slow"?

thanks again,

Roger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you could always go the supergun or consolized MVS route

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, a supergun setup would be a lot cheaper if you plan on collecting over a long period of time (with MVS or other JAMMA compatable boards). But if your just looking for a quick KOF 98, Fatal Fury III, and SamSho V Special fix (a select few games) go with an AES.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the CD System. First get a regular CD system and not a Neo Geo CDZ or whatever it's called. The latter is well known for breaking down. As for load times generally most of the non fighting games load times aren't too bad. You'll have some loading time in between levels but it's not too bad. For Metal Slug games the later levels it will have to load once inbetween levels. For fighters the early fighting games the loading isn't too bad. The later games like Last Blade 2 the loading times are so bad that your better off not even bothering to get those games. Keep in mind if you do go the CD route that you'll miss out on some games that were only released on AES and MVS.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rscaramelo
    Thanks for the links. I've been checking them. Could someone here breakdown to basics of the consoles and the handhelds that were put out? As I understand it, the early models took very expensive carts that were exactly what I played in the arcades. They also came out with really slow lesser-expensive cd consoles that were translations of the arcade games. Then there is the handheld which is pretty cheap on ebay. Could someone give me the pros and cons of each system. I'm leaning towards the slow cd system first because the cart system seems a bit expensive! Also, how "slow" is "slow"?

thanks again,

Roger
    Generic info about each of the formats:

AES: The homecart system (sometimes referred to as NGH). Carts are the same internals as the arcade carts, but the size and layout of the carts are different. Arcade carts can be played on the home system with the use of the Phantom-1 adapter.
    Pros: Cheaper of the systems for arcade style gaming ($150 or so for the system). Nice artwork for carts.
    Cons: Games are $$$$. Not all arcade games were "converted" to AES format.

MVS: The arcade system. Carts are the same internals as the AES carts, but the size and layout of the carts are different. AES carts cannot be played on an MVS system. Several methods of playing MVS carts exist, including Arcade Cabinets, superguns, and consolized MVS boards. MVS boards come as 1-, 2-, 4-, or 6-slot.
    Pros: Significantly cheaper games than the AES format. Readily available carts. More games available than on AES (including Bomberman, Money Puzzle Exchanger, etc).
    Cons: Cost of entry is $$$$. Will cost you at least $300 for the system setup.

CD: The "low cost" home system. Two flavors exist: the original system (as either a front loader or top loader) and the CDZ which reads at the same speed but has other enhancements that allows for quicker loading (roughly 2x).
    Pros: Most games are cheap. Systems can be had relatively cheap (about $100-150 for the CD and $200+ for the CDZ).
    Cons: HORRENDOUS load times. Even with the CDZ. I mean, BAD. Fighting games in particular are gut wrenching to play as typical load times are 30-60 seconds between opponents. Just bad.

Pocket: Lots of games from the console made their way faithfully to the pocket. Easily the best golf game on a handheld and probably the best fighters on the market. Great screen, even in low light, amazing battery life (40 hours!!!).
    Pros: High ratio of great games to poor games. Dirt cheap cost of entry. Lots of cart only games all over eBay.
    Cons: Not a lot of games available (about 30 US, 42 UK, and 89 Japanese).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Bad, U guys are right. Totally forgot how many bits the machine was. 32 just popped into my head as I was typing. Ya gotta admit though, it certainly looks 10 times better than any other 16 bit console of its time. Bigger graphics, more frames per sec, big sound and beautiful colors.

Stay away from the Cd system dude, I bought mine just for collecting purposes (And for Samurai Shodown R.P.G.) and it collects nothing but dust. The supergun, which is a home version of the arcade system, will do you just fine and they are not that expensive. Like I said, the MVS games are cheaper.

The Neo-Geo Pocket is cool. The bundles they sell online are fairly priced. Goodluck either way you go.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is this "supergun"?

Roger

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is this "supergun"?

Roger
    Superguns!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm probably best off with a console or the pocket but out of curiosity, what would this "supergun" setup set me back?

Roger

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm probably best off with a console or the pocket but out of curiosity, what would this "supergun" setup set me back?

Roger
    About $200+ for the supergun, $100 or so for a 1-slot MVS, $30 or so for each joystick.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The_EniGma
    i have every game
    Somehow i doubt that...

What's wrong with Japanese AES games? To me they're much better looking with artworks outside, one of the main reasons I got into collecting Neo-Geo. Well I'll let you be the judge, my collection is here, this contains every AES released officially, either English or Japanese, to me they're the same when you put them in your system of a region, obviously my collection has grown since last pic taken (early 2002), including my LaserActive collection, I'll update when my Dreamcast colleciton is complete (plus massive GC collection), I'll not discuss any more concerning completeness.

Regarding AES games nowadays, it's insane for anyone who want rare games, hardly anyone is willing to part their games, even if you come across one, it's often those which people get rid of after they upgrade their own with better conditioned copies, regardless of how much you're willing to pay.