View Poll Results: Which hand do you use?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am right-handed, and prefer to control movement with the left hand

16 66.67%
  • I am left-handed, and prefer to control movement with the right hand

1 4.17%
  • I am right-handed, and prefer to control movement with the right hand

1 4.17%
  • I am left-handed, and prefer to control movement with the left hand

5 20.83%
  • None of the above (please specify)

1 4.17%

Thread: Right-/Left handed gaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Right-/Left handed gaming

I was just wondering - the majority of the population is right-handed, but why do controllers have the stick/directional pad always on the left side for the left hand to control it? I mean, if you're right-handed, you'd probably want to do the more difficult part (controlling the directions of your game character) with your dominant (right) hand, and use the other hand for the easier part of pushing the firebutton(s). OK, it may depend on the game - beat em ups require relatively complicated button sequences, but still - take a look at platform games for example, extreme dexterity is often required for your controlling hand. Another thing that bugs me is that right-handed people WRITE with the right hand, which is quite also some sort of controlling movement, and they also use computer mice with their right hands. It might have something to do with the distinct functions of the brain halfes. I came up with this issue after my brother (who is right-handed) told me yesterday that he can't use a joystick with his left hand. I myself am left-handed and don't have trouble using the left hand for controlling purposes - that's what made me wondering. Any biologists on the board to help shed light on this issue? :)
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I'm Right handed and main controls are done with the left hand (ie. Character movement). I actually think that it would be harder to do the main movement with the right hand and do the looking/ actions with the left, but then again, ive played this way for not quite 20 years so....
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Can flip round either. I'm left handed but can adapt to any control method. Arcades started with the stick on the left, then home consoles/computers had the stick in the right, and now modern consoles have it back on the left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hm, yea, that's interesting, I just checked and of course the original Atari joystick but also first generation Wico and Quickshot sticks had the fire button on the left side, while later joysticks usually either had two firebuttons or one centered button. There's also only one arcade joyboard as it seems that has the stick on the right hand side, the elite Multi-Function 2002.
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm left-handed and I prefer to control movement with the left hand. However, I adapt to whatever controller I am using at the moment. I hardly ever try to customize the controller to adapt to my preferences. Lazyness? Perhaps but I would rather play the game then waste time trying to figure out how to change the settings. For example, I used the default handedness of my 2600 and Atari 800 controller for years. Once I rewired it so I could use my left hand to control direction but I was so used to playing it the other way it was uncomfortable and I was unable to play as well as before. So, before long, I changed the controller back to what it was.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I'm right handed, and I very much prefer to control the character with my right hand, and do the buttons with my left hand. The problem is, of course, that nobody seems to make controllers like that anymore! So I've learned to adapt, but you will see me in an arcade playing cross handed from time to time. I guess that's why I like my 2600 and Odyssey2 so much

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I'm left-handed and I'm quite glad that Nintendo went for left-handed game pads, as they've influenced the whole post-crash industry... (I wonder if Yokoi was left-handed? After all, he designed the original left-side d-pad for the Game & Watch)

Personally, I can't use the original Atari 2600 joystick. Since my right hand has to curl up to reach the button, I get bad cramps pretty fast. I'd rather use the 7800 Pro Joystick (which had buttons on both sides) or the QuickShot stick I have (a clone of the original 2600 joystick with a second button on top of the joystick for lefties like me).

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm right handed and I prefer to control movement with my left hand.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I'm right handed and just got used to using the pad or stick with my left hand. Even during the Atari 2600 days, I tended to use the stick more in my left hand then in my right.

Part of it may be due to me being so young when I started playing that the brain got wired to accept it that way. I use my right hand for everything else -- mouse, normal life usage, primary typing hand. I'd actually prefer to use the buttons with the right hand because that's often more critical for a game.

But I also think that you use your THUMB more then anything else, and a recent medical study found that young people are just as good with them thumbs as the rest of thier hands, due to how much they are using them.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I tend to use my right hand on a joystick, but my left thumb on a pad. But for whatever reason, I find myself using the Galaga Cross technique when I play Galaga in the arcade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I am left-handed, and play games in a right-handed fashion (and so far I appear to be the only one in the poll who answered as such) if the controller is wired as such.

This goes back to my first Atari 2600 with its right-handed stick. It never really occured to me that the Atari was being forcing to use primarily use my right hand (a feat every one of my grade-school teachers tried and failed in doing), I just picked up the stick and started using it.

I didn't realize there was a problem until I got my first Atari 2600/7800 European gamepad. When I got it I thought it was an awesome peripheral until I started using it. I was just tanking on some of my favorite games until I realized the problem...I had switched hands, and all the engrams my brain was used to running were reversed (one of my down-the-road hardware projects is to modify a Euro gamepad...or maybe an NES pad, for right-handed orientation on the 2600/7800, i.e - buttons left and d-pad right). On the other hand (pun intended) I can pick up any sort of post-1985 controller (NES, Genny, Jag, DC, PS2 et al) and use it without giving the handedness as such any thought.

There's probably a chromosone that controls all of this, and if there is I probably have it. When I was in the Marines I learned to shoot weapons right-handed. Being left-handed, I wasn't required to shoot right-handed but it felt perfectly normal holding various armaments like that. Conversely, I could pick up a sidearm and just as easily shoot it from the left. As a result I developed something of a reputation in my travels as a highly accurate ambidextrous shooter. So I'm tooting my horn a bit, but I can say without exaggeration that I am not somebody with whom you would want to engage in a firefight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm left handed, and I play left handed.

The only problem I can see with this is with the upcoming Nintendo DS. I'm really looking forward to it, but if I have to use my left hand to control, and my right hand to use the stylus, I'm going to be having trouble considering how poorly I can manage to write using my right hand.