Thread: Turbo Grafx 16 or Turbo Duo?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Turbo Grafx 16 or Turbo Duo?

which should i get?

what are the advantages ( good games) of the cd component on the Turbo Duo?

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Turbo Duo is of course the best of both worlds, and the duo has the system card 3.0 built into it so you don't have to worry about any of the cd games not working. The TG16 does not natively support av cables and it requires a turbo booster.

I've seen a guy who sells tg16's online that custom installs the av unit into the system and says it includes the turbo booster (which it really doesn't) and also sells top loading nes' with the same mod. If you want his name and are interested in going tg16 I can look him up.

Personally I would go with the duo. I picked up a broken one on ebay for 80 bucks and it works perfectly. No idea what the guy was talking about it being broken....I'm not sure if the tg16 can play import cards/cds but I'm pretty sure the US duo can without a problem.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

If you have the money and the means, then go for the TurboDuo. As far as I can tell, the only advantages to getting a normal TG-16 is that they're cheaper and generally easier to find.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    Turbo Duo is of course the best of both worlds, and the duo has the system card 3.0 built into it so you don't have to worry about any of the cd games not working. The TG16 does not natively support av cables and it requires a turbo booster.
    Also, you'll need a Turbo Booster plus if you want to save games on a regular TG-16. The Duo has memory included so you get it all right out of the box. Get a mod switch for HuCards and you'll never need anything else.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get the duo sooooo many more side scrolling shooters. Amazing stuff.

Strawberry (Level 2) LazingBlazers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

Guy,

Check out http://www.pcecp.com

If no games on CD interest you, then just get the TG-16. You can always get a TurboGrafx-CD unit later... but it will not load as fast, and you will have to get a USA Super System card to play Super CDs... unless you mod your system or get an import converter, in which case you could use a Japanese Super System card (which is much easier to find). Speaking of imports, if you want to get into the import Arcade CDs, you will need the Arcade Card Pro which is harder to find and more expensive than the Arcade Card Duo (what you use to play ACDs on the Duo).

All in all, unless nothing on CD interests you, get a Duo. Unless you can find a sweet deal on another set up, it's just easier in the long run... on your wallet and on your watch. But good luck finding one for $80... that's a nice price.

The guy who sells the AV TG-16s on eBay is akaviolence.

D-Lite, a member of this very board, does mods to all types of Turbo systems enabling you to play imports on them.

Hope this helps you out.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LazingBlazers
    Guy,

Check out http://www.pcecp.com

If no games on CD interest you, then just get the TG-16. You can always get a TurboGrafx-CD unit later... but it will not load as fast, and you will have to get a USA Super System card to play Super CDs... unless you mod your system or get an import converter, in which case you could use a Japanese Super System card (which is much easier to find). Speaking of imports, if you want to get into the import Arcade CDs, you will need the Arcade Card Pro which is harder to find and more expensive than the Arcade Card Duo (what you use to play ACDs on the Duo).

All in all, unless nothing on CD interests you, get a Duo. Unless you can find a sweet deal on another set up, it's just easier in the long run... on your wallet and on your watch. But good luck finding one for $80... that's a nice price.

The guy who sells the AV TG-16s on eBay is akaviolence.

D-Lite, a member of this very board, does mods to all types of Turbo systems enabling you to play imports on them.

Hope this helps you out.
    Thanks for the ref.

Funny enough, I am currently working on my own website to show what the mods are. The site, while having some sales stuff, will be dominated by what I hope to be lots of info, pics, and whatnot. It's currently in it's early stages, but you can see the "AV mods" there, Region switches, and S-Video! In the future, some do-it-yourself stuff too.

Check my site: http://www.aloofhosting.com/dragsy/
    (the last slash is important!)

To directly answer the question in the thread title, get yourself a Turbo Duo. But honestly, find a Duo-R or Duo-RX. In my findings, they have much more reliable sound. I have been stocking them when I can find them so I can mod these systems too.

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, you should just get the duo dude. Or... you could be all hardcore and get the Pioneer laseractive with the NEC turbografx module. It plays all US hu-cards and all cd's and super cd's. Then you can watch laser disc movies through you 8 track stereo!

ghost

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LazingBlazers
    But good luck finding one for $80... that's a nice price.
    True, but it was also quite a gamble not even knowing if it worked. It looked just fine in the picture though. Worked just fine when I got it too. My friend was cleaning it and found a dead spider web inside...hmmm....kinda nasty....put a peice of tape across the cd lid slot to hopefully stop that from happening again. Also said it looked like it was missing some wires or something. Haven't been able to test the cd games cause I am still waiting for the duo controller adapter to arrive.

Is there any way I can find a dust cover lid for the hu card slot? Mine happenes to be missing that =\.