Thread: How to make or where to buy a glass display case?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How to make or where to buy a glass display case?

Ok so the deal is, I want to display my Virtual Boy in a glass case, but I don't have the slightest clue on how to make or where to buy one. I'm sorta just looking for something like this -

http://vr32.de/verschiedenes/vb_at_noa/gen001261.jpg

Yet that also might be too big, and it also seems there are like pillars supporting it from the side, which seems a bit out of my league. But you get the picture. I'm just trying to get something to cover my Virtual Boy with, maybe have a cabinet underneath to have other stuff underneath it or something, I don't know.

I figured you guys would know best because I'm sure some of you have these, anyone know what I can or should do? Are they worth it? You know the general questions.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it worth it? That's for you to decide. A glass display case probably won't come cheap. You may try buying one made for sports stuff, I know they make cases for basketballs which may be big enough. If not, making one on your own wouldn't be too difficult if you like to work with a blowtorch. Places lke Lowe's will sell and cut glass, but you'd have to put it together. I know nothing about the myself though. I'm sure some searching might help you out some.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

I don't think those metal bars have anything to do with the glass case, they are shelving that the glass case is sitting on. no?

glass cases aren't that hard, this looks tougher than the ones I built for my store because you are going to have 4 glass corners.

if you wanted to cheat and make it easy, get 4 2" x 2"'s for the corners. Rip them 1/2" on 2 of the cornersso you have groovers where the glass meets(paint it black or white)build yourself a base for it to stand on. go to your local hardware stores and check the countertop dept. ask them if they have any laminate pieces they are clearing out. they are very cheap, I just picked up some 4 ft long by 15" pieces yesterday for $1.29that can be the base for your display case, if you get 2, that can be your top(i'd cheat and put a wood top on the thing, but if you want glass, let me know and I will add how to do a glass top. it might take a couple of tries, but you could do it with 2"x2"'s.

Now for the glass, check thrift stores for glass, you might find 4 pieces that match....OR you find yourself an old single pane or double pane window, old windows are often thrown out or very cheap at rummage sales. Buy yourself a $3.49 glass cutter and learn to cut class, or you can go to a glass cutter and tell him you need 4 pieces such and such a length and thyey will probably cut them for you.

Dry fit the thing , buy a $1.99 tube of clear silicon adhesive caulk, caulk the corners where the glass meets the wood, let it sit and you should be good to go.

Only problem is what kind of doors do you want on it? or if you want doors? and what kind of top you want on it?

I'll try and help you, not much time right now. I just finished building 4 glass display cases for my store. If your a little handy, this should be a fairly easy project.

If I have time, I might just make one.

good luck and if you need more help, let me know

dave

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lexan, lexan, lexan!!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We have a store here in NY called Ikea. They sell tons of furniture and whatnot, and have glass cases. They are actually kind of cheap to. I saw a nice one I really liked with lights in it for $100.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

maybe a squarish or octoganal pedestal aquarium? check your local classifieds for some for sale

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whatever you do do not go to a furniture store looking for glass case curio cabinets. They are way expensive, like over $400 to over $1000. Looking at the pic I can see that that is not what you need, but just a heads up for anyone thinking about it.
    SNES Collector
    My collection: <a href=http://www32.brinkster.com/v1richstore/MyCollection/MyCollection.htm>Plain Text</a> Always willing to Buy/Sell/Trade
    <a href=http://stores.ebay.com/retrogamingheadquarters?&refid=store>My Ebay Store</a>

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My folks own a retail shop at the local mall. They have catalogs of companies that sell these type of display cases. I'll see if I can find a website for you in a day or two.

You might also wanna check out your local mall for any stores going out of business. Most places here come in and se up and within 2 or 3 years, they are gone and something else is there. You can usually pick up some of their fixtures kinda cheap.
    Keep It Stinky, Baby

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sombody mentioned IKEA.. how bout this?

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/s...roductId=11341

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37214

If you're thinking about building a display case, seriously consider getting ahold of glass with ultraviolet protection. If you're buying a case, ask about it. Probably won't lead anywhere but it's a good idea, especially if your windows aren't UV coated.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baddseed
    Sombody mentioned IKEA.. how bout this?

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/s...roductId=11341
    That is the exact one I was talking about actually.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno how nice you want the case to be, but I bought a VB off ebay that came with a display case... it was just a clear plastic sports case, but it looked pretty good.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

If you are intent on building your own, your local hardware store or home depot should be able to cut glass into the size sheets you are looking for. Also, you could do this with plexiglass which is also cheap and a lot easier to drill holes in for a door hinge or if you wanted to put half-square metal brackets over the corner edges. You can drill glass too with the right bit. Be real careful though. :-) I was also going to reccomend the clear silicone caulking.

Also, have you thought about the edges where the sides of the case would meet? Would they be a flat edge cut or sliced at a 45 degree angle so the sides fit together in a perfect square (rather than be 1/8" off on each side?

Well, there's my 2 1/2 cents.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!