Thread: Atari taking back the market

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari taking back the market

You know, it seems like I hear a lot of people talking about where the video game market is heading, or where they want it to head. Some people would prefer the Xbox become leader of the market and amaze us all with it's incredible graphics and sound. Some people want the PS2 to stay in control with their new system as they have the most third party support and must really know what they're doing. Other people wish Nintendo would take it's rightful place back on the throne and entertain us all with their' top notch games.
    However, I wonder this, how many of us would REALLY prefer that all the x-Atari 2600 employees get together, and under the leadership of Nolan Bushnell, buy back the Atari name and release a brand new Atari system that would both amaze us with its' brilliant graphics and sound but also captivate us with simplistic addictive gameplay that tests our skill and skill alone; Thus taking back the market, obtaining all third party support, and crushing any competitor that dare try to impede upon its' glory.
    Be excellent to one another. Party on dudes!

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm....lemme think. Don't see that having any chance of happening lol. Would be kinda funny to see happen though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude stay off of what ever your smoking. Yeah that is an interesting pipe dream but, the way they did buisness back then would not do well today.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

The guys from Atair are going to buy back their old company which looks NOTHING like it used to, from Infogrames, who now go by the brand name of Atari.....

Very nice pipedream, but it wont ever get beyond that. Sorry...
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still think Atari or Sega might surprise us all someday. I think Atari would have a tougher road than Sega but you never know. I won't count them out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it would be cool, and I would support them.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if atari (a.k.a. infogrames) keeps snapping up the properties of smaller publishers, and gets enough high profile franchises such as driver that are sucessful, who knows?
    great people to do business with - D-Lite, max330mega, The Collector, Jimmy Yakapucci

neo-geo.com - vwlunatic, BIG BEAR, neogeofl, pixeljunkie, japangamesnow.com, OmegaSaber

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

It would be like the old AMF-Harley Davidson story, wouldn't it? Can't see it happening that way though. Nolan Bushnell has neither the personal interest not enough bricks and mortar to repair all the bridges he's burned over the last 25 years.

Shortly after Infogrames (aka "French Atari") acquired the Atari name I actually wrote them a letter encouraging them to respect the brand loyatly that the name commands. Obviously they did (though not nexesarily as a result of my screed), because changing their name showed a measure of confidence that the old Atari name would bolster their market share, which it has.

I also asked them if they had any long-term plans for a new console. The answer was no. Perhaps the success of the Jakks TV Games will make them reconsider this stance.

A more likely scenario (still a longshot, though) would be Infogrames contracting a third-party hardware deverloper like IBM to build a console, which French Atari could then promote, develop for, distribute and collect a hefty licensing fee. I would personally love to see a 21st-century piece of hardware once again bearing the prould Fuji logo. Heck, for that I'd be one of those guys lining up outside of Wal-Mart at dark-thirty in the morning.

We can always dream.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon
    It would be like the old AMF-Harley Davidson story, wouldn't it? Can't see it happening that way though. Nolan Bushnell has neither the personal interest not enough bricks and mortar to repair all the bridges he's burned over the last 25 years.

Shortly after Infogrames (aka "French Atari") acquired the Atari name I actually wrote them a letter encouraging them to respect the brand loyatly that the name commands. Obviously they did (though not nexesarily as a result of my screed), because changing their name showed a measure of confidence that the old Atari name would bolster their market share, which it has.

I also asked them if they had any long-term plans for a new console. The answer was no. Perhaps the success of the Jakks TV Games will make them reconsider this stance.

A more likely scenario (still a longshot, though) would be Infogrames contracting a third-party hardware deverloper like IBM to build a console, which French Atari could then promote, develop for, distribute and collect a hefty licensing fee. I would personally love to see a 21st-century piece of hardware once again bearing the prould Fuji logo. Heck, for that I'd be one of those guys lining up outside of Wal-Mart at dark-thirty in the morning.

We can always dream.
    exactly what i was thinking - contract out for the design, then become a first party publisher.

a LOOONG shot, but it's conceivable a large 3rd party developer could decide to take the reins and do such a thing.
    great people to do business with - D-Lite, max330mega, The Collector, Jimmy Yakapucci

neo-geo.com - vwlunatic, BIG BEAR, neogeofl, pixeljunkie, japangamesnow.com, OmegaSaber

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very nice pipedream, but it wont ever get beyond that. Sorry
    I assure you I was not having any kind of pipedream while writing this post I thought it was pretty obvious that I was stating the Atari takeback tongue in cheek. I would literally fall out of my chair if anything even remotely like that ever happened. Hopefully Atari would practice better business. We can dream
    Be excellent to one another. Party on dudes!