Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What games look best lined up on a shelf? worst?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Were there any Saturn ones not in white boxes?
    Techincally...you could count Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter 2, as they were in the Silver label series and stick out like a sore thumb. Also, and the game eludes me, one of them had a whack color scheme, like the grey was the wrong color...too dark I think....

I have to agree on the long box PSX/Saturn/Sega CDs gelling real well together. I thought it would have been cool if Sega had figured out a way to make the bi-color stripes match up to the next game, so that when you're looking at a line up of them it would look like one continous stripe pattern with the game names sticking out.

However, my personal favorite (and yes, it is slightly biased) are the US Turbo Grafx games. I have mine sorted by genre and then alphabetical. That way when a friend asks what are some good (insert genre here) I just yell out colors to them.

The second best would be PSX games. Sexy black spines help the more colorful logos stick out.

The worst...as far as "with box" would have to be the freaking 3DO games...flip top, box, slide box, security box..make up your damn mind, man!

The worst "loose" would go towards any system with no top labels...so most portables, Jaguar, N64, etc.

Neat topic, let's keep it going!

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that a nice shelf of boxed Odyssey2 games looks, in the words of the wise Mr. Strong Bad, "aprettyprettygood."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

boxed neo-geo pocket very nice

boxed channel F- they look like 70s office supplies, why do i like that?

However, my personal favorite (and yes, it is slightly biased) are the US Turbo Grafx games. I have mine sorted by genre and then alphabetical. That way when a friend asks what are some good (insert genre here) I just yell out colors to them.
    dont tell me you've cracked the spine color/genre code?
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason, I really like the way loose SNES games look lined up. Especially Mega Man X 1-3.

I absolutely hate loose GB/GBC/GBA lined up. You can't tell what the hell they are! and GBA games have those little outcroppings at the top (so you can remove the cart from the GBA) and it makes them not line up correctly! It's annoying as hell! Ditto for N64. I've actually contemplated making labels for all these and sticking them on top of the carts!
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Iwas initially going to say PS2, but I'm going to have to change my vote to Saturn.

I really dig the white, half uniform, half variety, and sharp edges clean cut look.

Gamecube also looks really nice, but that massive 4 Swords Adventures box throws everything all off :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    Gamecube also looks really nice, but that massive 4 Swords Adventures box throws everything all off :/
    Just wait until Donkey Konga comes out.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Aussie, I have to agree with the Harvest Moon 64 logo. Ugh, WHY?

Anyways, I just remembered the best line up ever. original Black Box NES games. I wish I had a complete in box collection of them so I can line em up on there own personal shelf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Aussie, I have to agree with the Harvest Moon 64 logo. Ugh, WHY?

Anyways, I just remembered the best line up ever. original Black Box NES games. I wish I had a complete in box collection of them so I can line em up on there own personal shelf.
    Agreed. Those boxes had a nice theme to them. Best looking game boxes ever IMHO.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, never thought of how it looks on the shelf, I only collect games for systems that rock, but I can think of:

Best:

Japanese Neo-Geo AES (large side panels and all dif colors)

FM Towns Marty (even larger case than NG AES)

Jp Mega Drive (unlike ugly all-red US cart boxes, besides, all games are packaged in plastic snap box)

US Sega Saturn (a few games come in silver cover, but the rest large boxes)

PC-FX (had NEC not switched to regular jewel cases later down the stage, this would reign on top with FM-Towns Marty)

besides those, all games with DVD cases are cool, but other than US Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox games aren't worth collecting (very few exceptions though)

All games using standard jewel cases, regardless of color (or variations), are the ugliest on the shelf, so all other systems mentioned earlier look a lot better (NES, SMS, N64, etc) than any jewel cases display.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

And some games look so good on the shelf by themselves that you just have to show them off. My dragon Quest Sword and Zelda GBA (jap) immediately spring to mind.

And some of the older NES era fantasy boxes are pretty nice too. CastleQuest and Ultima spring to mind. And Traysia (genesis, the artwork wraps around the box as a continous picture). I love that kind of epic looking stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate loose N64 cart becouse I cant find out what they are unless I pull em out. Its just a pain in the ass.

Best id say the Snes boxed games. Black background with the title clearly displayed perfect.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorites are boxed VC4000 games, the've got this styleish font in white on black background, with the huge numbers and the red VC4000 logo - a bit like the DP design here :) Current gen is also nice.

CD32 is pretty ugly though, there's no standard at all (some games came only in paper hulls) - I prefer the way Core Design did their games, that should have been the standard :(
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to say that as a rule Sega products look the best on a shelf. Sega CD and Saturn look the best (except for the cardboard cd games). As far as the discontinuuity between genesis and dreamcast games, try organizing them chronologically, it sounds nuts but organizing games in a unique fashion like that makes a collection all the more a conversation peice. I am reminded of the film High Fidelity (john cusack) in which he organizes his music autobiographically... anyway I digress, seriously imagine looking at a well catalouged collection of SMS, Gen, 32x, sega CD, saturn, and dreamcast games all on one shelf and due to the chronological ordering only a few games (e.g. genisis EA titles and such) that don't look very nice together. I don't want to sound like a fanboi, but sega has had consistently good packaging throughout its console history

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the PAL Dreamcast cases- all blue with the white logo on the top of them all. The PAL saturn cases look alright, but not all of them have the little "screenshot" on the spine, which is a shame coz they would look rather good if they all had it.

As for Mega Drive- they look good as long as theyre together. Newer Blue spines together, black ones, EA, and the cool white EA sports ones (im kinda fond of the white EA sports ones myself).

Worst would be any of the wierd EA mega drive boxes- theres only a couple of games with them, but theyre like old school VHS cases. they look yuk, are easily smushed AND the plastic goes brittle

Im not really a fan of loose NES carts either, or the green x-box cases. Ive only got one, but i cant see boxed PAL game gear games looking great either..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anything with a spinecard, really. Worst is probably MASTER SYSTEM and PCE HuCARD games.
    Setup Stuff (1 MB) Hall Of Fame
    Say what? This is no fluke. This is why I'm here every year.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: What games look best lined up on a shelf? worst?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    WORSTDreamcast - They'd look good if they didn't switch from white to black 1/2 way through the systems life.
    Dreamcast:
    Boy I'm glad we got different cases over here in Europe the Dreamcast cases are all blue spined wide cases and look great on the shelf.

Saturn:
    Black cases with the logo on the bottom half of the spine Looks great ruined only by the evil EA cases that look out of place.

PSOne:
    Same sized cases as the PAL Dreamcast looks great all lined up too though the silver 'platinum' range ones don't seem to fit in and look better kept seperated.