Thread: "New School" console question

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default "New School" console question

Well here goes...PS2 vs. Gamecube? I have no interest in XBox. If you could have just one which would it be? Online gaming and playing DVD's is not a factor since I don't use or want to use either. The "old school" gamer in me is leaning towards the GameCube since so much of the Nitendo are updated "old school" titles.

thanks,

Roger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Really it depends on what games you want to play. I'd make a list of five games I wanted and five games coming soon for each system and go from there. As a tie breaker the Cube is $50 less...

For example...

Now
    GC: Zelda: Windwaker, Viewitful Joe (for now), Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime
    PS2: ICO, Silent Hill 3, GTA: Vice City, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts

Both: Prince of Persia, SSX Tricky, Beyond Good & Evil

Soon
    GC: New Zelda, Metroid Prime Echoes, Killer 7, Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario 2
    PS2: Metal Gear Solid 3, GTA: San Andreas, Gran Turismo 4, Jak III, Silent Hill 4: The Room

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you've been a nintendo fan in the past you will really enjoy the gamecube. Eternal Darkness, Zelda: Windwaker, Resident Evil Remake are just a few of the seriously kick ass games for the system. The PS2 has a HUGE database of games though since it can play the ps2 games as well as all the original playstation games. If you're a big rpg fan, the ps2 is a much better route.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    If you've been a nintendo fan in the past you will really enjoy the gamecube. Eternal Darkness, Zelda: Windwaker, Resident Evil Remake are just a few of the seriously kick ass games for the system. The PS2 has a HUGE database of games though since it can play the ps2 games as well as all the original playstation games. If you're a big rpg fan, the ps2 is a much better route.
    I have to dis-agree with ya on this. I have been a HUGE Nintendo fan since the Nes. But I really don't enjoy the Game Cube. Just about all the games for it suck, IMO. The only game I enjoy on the Game Cube is Super Smash Brothers Melee.
    XBOX 360 Gamer Tag: ChuckNorris140

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The "old school" gamer in me is leaning towards the GameCube since so much of the Nitendo are updated "old school" titles.
    The updates like Mario Sunshine haven't been that over-whelming to me. The PS2/PS has a lot more of the old-school comp discs.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The "old school" gamer in me is leaning towards the GameCube since so much of the Nitendo are updated "old school" titles.I'm alot like that too and that's why I got my Gamecube, but there's one problem with playing most of the ported classics. The controller. Take for example, the original Zelda. That game was MADE for the NES controller, but is really hard to play on the Gamecube controller because of the analog stick and the extremely small D-Pad.

I don't really know if that problem applies to all of the old classics Nintendo ported to the Gamecube, but I sure had trouble playing the ones I have played.

The old classics aside, I think the Gamecube has a good handful of good games, but not as many as the PS2, IMO.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoops. I meant to quote mscaramelo on the top of that last post.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I picked up both systems! Both are great. After researching this for awhile I decided to grab the PS2 for sports titles and the GC for fun stuff like Super Monkey Ball and the Mario stuff. I'm not into the fantasy stuff but I picked up the new Zelda mostly for nostalgic reasons. Oh yeah, I've got a refurbed NES with Tecmo and Blades of Steel on the way too.

I'll be in the 50 system club in no time at this rate!

Roger