Thread: Are you a perfectionist?

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are you a perfectionist?

Are their any games or gender of games that you must excel at? Like in rpg's you must get everything or not using any credits in shooters.

I know when i play ikaruga or contra 3 (or other shooter/platform games) i restart the game if i think i died to soon or didn't reach my expectation. Maybe it's just me being weird. Though after almost 20 years of playing games i like to think i sould do my best.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to believe that I'm a perfectionist as far as video games are concerned. Like for example, when I get a new RPG, I must get the highest level and have the highest amount possible of every item and have every secret/unlockable character. So, I'm one of those gamers who have to obtain everything in a game and experience everything there is to experience in a game. Heh, I'm not very proud of being like this, cuz I can't obviously play as many games as I'd like to.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Adventure Island for the Gamecube. If I can't get 100% on the level, The level isn't beat.
    I want to get 1st place on everything in MarioKart DD also, im just to lazy and need a good co-op buddy willing to do it with me.

As for collecting I am with my Gamecube. Which is why im still looking for a damn pikmin manual.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600
    Adventure Island for the Gamecube. If I can't get 100% on the level, The level isn't beat.
    I want to get 1st place on everything in MarioKart DD also, im just to lazy and need a good co-op buddy willing to do it with me.

As for collecting I am with my Gamecube. Which is why im still looking for a damn pikmin manual.
    Eh? I didn't know adventure island was on gamecube.

I am only this way with my collecting. Which is why I have spent 270$ in boxes and manuals and probably going back soon to buy a billion gameboy and gamegear boxes.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600

Eh? I didn't know adventure island was on gamecube.

I am only this way with my collecting. Which is why I have spent 270$ in boxes and manuals and probably going back soon to buy a billion gameboy and gamegear boxes.
    Import. Hudson select vol. 4 (possibly 3). It's the nes one with better graphics and menus and some mini games. Well worth the cash.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They never did get around to porting it, did they? All the same, good choice. That game looks awesome.

Myself, I usually make sure I get 1st place and that sort of thing. I used to, anyways. Got Invisible in Goldeneye - twice - and Invincible as well.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was like that with my N64 games. if it wasn't 100% complete, it wasn't complete. fortunately, they were fun to complete, and came out infrequently enough that you HAD to unless you didn't want anything to play.

stuff i've gotten 100% complete on off the top of my head:
    Mario RPG
    Super Metroid (me and a friend mapped out the entire game over the course of a week on graph paper after school, so we could get 100% AND the best clear time. yes, we were bored high schoolers)
    the original Gran Turismo
    Mario 64 (120 stars)
    Pilotwings 64 (all golds)
    Wave Race 64 (all 1st places/high scores)
    Blast Corps (Platinums on every level...effing YIKES.)
    StarFox 64 (all medals on normal and expert)
    Goldeneye (all 00 agent levels)
    Rogue Squadron (all golds)
    Zelda: TOoT (everything)
    Mario KArt 64 (1st on everything, don't remember if it actually unlocks anything)
    Jet Force Gemini (yeesh)
    Super Smash Bros.
    1080 Snowboarding
    Shadows of the empire

any N64 game i had that had unlockables was gone through 100%...can't say i've done that on any other system. don't know if i ever could. it came out at the right time (senior year of HS), so i had a LOT of free time.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am not a perfectionist, and why are so many of you like that. It is about having fun and trying your best it is that simple.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i can safely say im a perfectionist all around with my games, gotta have the consoles box- instructions - inserts, games in the cases, with instructions, in good condition, i HATE games with the "greatest hits" or whatever on them, it drives me crazy, i have a few loose nes and genny carts and it drives me nuts looking at them
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster_ca_2003
    I am not a perfectionist, and why are so many of you like that. It is about having fun and trying your best it is that simple.
    I'm not like that in everything (every game). Mostly just shooters and rpg's were i want to find everything. Plus it makes the game funner (in most places) to have found all the items or spells, or to have a insane run threw.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh man. I wish I could look at it that way again like I did when I was younger, but no matter how hard I try, I've always gotta complete the game 100% and I try having fun with it as much as I can, but it's just not like the good 'ol days.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I am only a perfectionist in those games that require perfection to win.

FreQuency, Amplitude, stuff like that. Goldeneye and Blast Corps are also great examples.

If I'm going through a game and I'm indirectly uncovering a lot of things which is making 100% completion a feasible task, then I'll do it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EnemyZero
    i can safely say im a perfectionist all around with my games, gotta have the consoles box- instructions - inserts, games in the cases, with instructions, in good condition, i HATE games with the "greatest hits" or whatever on them, it drives me crazy, i have a few loose nes and genny carts and it drives me nuts looking at them
    same here. GH packaging is the debbil. and heaven help the poor soul who comes over to my house and has to bend an insert all up to get it our of a case. and don't dig your nails into the labels on my MD carts!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still don't understand people's beef with greatest hits packaged games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

'cause a shelf of them makes you look like a n00b...?

dunno, i just don't like the huge banner/crappified artwork/etc. look at the "sega classics" series on the genesis. YIKES.

why not just make em $20 and leave them alone. i just don't understand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I can only speak for Australian releases, but our greatest hits packaging's usually aren't that much different from the standard ones.

Example

PlayStation Platinum games: The bottom 'PlayStation' banner is black writing on a silver strip (as opposed to the standard white text on black banner). And the spine is the same (silver with black text). Personally I think it looks better than the standard casing.

Mega Drive: We had the Gold and Platinum series, which admittedly, do look kind of dodgy. A tiny pic of the game's original cover is on the bottom, with the rest of the cover black. Large shiny silver or gold text saying: "PLATINUM" or "GOLD". Later releases simply kept the original casing, but had a little sticker slapped on the front saying: "Sega Classics"

N64: A simple gold sticker in the top right corner saying: 'Million Seller Worldwide'. Later they changed it to having a a gold strip on the right instead of the standard red.

SNES: Little green triangle logo saying: "best of SNES".

PS2 and GCN: The front cover is shrunk to about 75% of the original size. Silver borders the image.

XBox: these look shitty. Front cover shrunk to 75% original size. Crappy green and white pattern surrounds image.

Everything else we got never even received a greatest hits line of games.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcaster
    I still don't understand people's beef with greatest hits packaged games.
    My problem with em is this, most of em have some kind of great big bright color banner that purposely makes em stand out from the rest. I have one PSone greatest hits game, I decided to see what it looks like mixed in with all the others, it was a serious "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, IM BRIGHT GREEN AND STICK OUT" sore thumb type thing and it bugged the shit outta me.

I want my games to flow fluidly on the shelf, not a nice stack of games with a bright green/silver/yellow/red growth on it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nintendo had the right idea at first...with the GC players choice series, it was just a STICKER on the case. why why why can't more manufacturers just do that? i don't understand how it's cheaper to REDESIGN the packaging and re-print it, other than cutting stuff like color art out of the manual. but redesigning and printing new inserts and discs? even at the volumes they're done in, it'd still be cheaper, unless the original has some kind of crazy printing on the disc, like the original PS1 tekken 2 (a solid photographic process print that covered the disc), which was changed to 1 or 2 color printing of the title only with the disc showing through on the later runs as i recall.