Thread: Genesis Cart variations...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genesis Cart variations...

Curious to know, and forgive me if this has been brought up at some point in time, but does anyone know why some Genesis games have "Sega" listed on the back of the carts, and some have "Acclaim" listed?

I recently sold one of 3 extra copys of The Adventures of Batman and Robin I had, and the backside of the cart said it was "Acclaim: Assembled in Mexico", while my others say "Sega: Assmebled in the US".

Was sega short on cases, or were the carts reproduced? Does anyone know what the story is?

Also... my Mega Hits Series version of Vectorman, that I bought about a week before the Caldors here closed down, has a black sticker covering where the "Assembled" test normally is. Rubbing it, there doesn't seem to be ANY text underneath it.

So I'm curious... are these considered variants, or does no one care, or what? I've always found these little things interesting myself.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Genesis Cart variations...

Quote Originally Posted by spooie
    I recently sold one of 3 extra copys of The Adventures of Batman and Robin I had, and the backside of the cart said it was "Acclaim: Assembled in Mexico", while my others say "Sega: Assmebled in the US".
    Those are just the different manufacturing plants- Australian games say "Made in Australia" or "Sega Ozisoft pty ltd". UK games would say "made in liverpool" or "made in we got spanked by the NZ rugby team country"- along those lines

I wouldnt go so far as to call them variations though...

As for the acclaim thing- didnt acclaim make its own, differently shaped carts ? In any case, most 3rd party companies had their own manufacturing plant/source.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While we're talking sega variants though- did any other countries get the silver Mega Drive carts ?

That ones from ebay, but ive got a Silver X-men 2, with silver box. There are also some MS games with the silver cart, but ive never seen a silver MS box (yet).

Oh yea, and i had a look at the genesis games i have, and they both say made in japan, then i had a look at both my MD Space harrier 2's and one's a "made in japan" and the others "sega ozisoft", but the instruction manual is different (japan is stapled booklet, ozisoft is foldout). If the different "made ins" for the same cart have differences then that would be a (tangilble) variable- not that different locations isnt in itself.

Is there even a point to my irrelevant mega drive drivel ?
    Will susan marry fabio ?

Tune in next week...

Argh- i just read your post again

And i totally read it wrong the first time, so your right- something is amiss there. Perhaps sega manufactured some and acclaim made some?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure about the Mega Drive carts.

Someone told me that Sega had a shortage of cases at one point and Acclaim had overproduced some, so they bought extras from them. Of course, I have no idea if this is true or not. So I thought I would ask.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only variations I can recall are teh Electronics Arts "Strike" (Desert, Jungle and Urban) series carts. They came in both the EA cart version and normal Sega version with the red label.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatescape
    While we're talking sega variants though- did any other countries get the silver Mega Drive carts ?
    Nope, that was just Australia. I think they're the 'Platinum Collection' re-issues.

Those are just the different manufacturing plants- Australian games say "Made in Australia" or "Sega Ozisoft pty ltd". UK games would say "made in liverpool
    I can't check at the moment since I'm at work, but I'm fairly sure that PAL games were generally made in Japan/Taiwan/Hong Kong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

holy motherfucking shit, those look damn cool

ok, sorry for that
    -Jan

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think they're the 'Platinum Collection' re-issues.
    Platinum as in black cases with silver text? (ebay linky). As far as i know they were all black carts/boxes. Same with the "gold" series (no idea why there was platinum and gold- some games were released under both labels).

Unless by re-issues you mean they were planning on using silver carts but had to change or something. Silver carts in the platinum series would make more sense, but wouldnt explain the master system silver carts (unless MS platinum was cancelled or something).

Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    The only variations I can recall are teh Electronics Arts "Strike" (Desert, Jungle and Urban) series carts. They came in both the EA cart version and normal Sega version with the red label.
    Those sound interesting. Are the red label ones uncommon? That would be interesting to have in a collection

Batman and robin thing- i was thinking accolade (different shaped carts). I suppose one way to confirm the overproduced case theory would be find another game with the acclaim back and check if they were from the same "era". Unscientific-yes, but its all i could think of (at 3:47AM). Damn mmorpgs.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Pretty. O_O The Australians got lucky for once when it comes to video games. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think they're the 'Platinum Collection' re-issues.
    Platinum as in black cases with silver text? (ebay linky). As far as i know they were all black carts/boxes. Same with the "gold" series
    Ah, right. Yeah, that was what I meant by the Platinum ones.
    I wasn't 100% sure about it and I guess I was jumping to conclusions.

For the record, I've also seen a silver cart Asterix & the Power of the Gods.
    I'm pretty sure these were all released in Oz on normal carts aswell, right?

(no idea why there was platinum and gold- some games were released under both labels).
    Do you know any titles like that?
    I've noted all the Platinum & Gold versions I've seen, but haven't got any listed under both yet.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    For the record, I've also seen a silver cart Asterix & the Power of the Gods.
    I'm pretty sure these were all released in Oz on normal carts aswell, right?
    I cant vouch for asterix (seems to be rather uncommon in these parts and on ebay au), but all the silver games ive seen so far have had normal carts (the normal versions being far easier to find). Ive also seen a Light Crusader 2 silver cart and warlock, but thats all i can remember.

(no idea why there was platinum and gold- some games were released under both labels).
    Do you know any titles like that?
    I've noted all the Platinum & Gold versions I've seen, but haven't got any listed under both yet.
    My bad- i mistook a sonic 2 gold for sonic 3. The platinum is just a later version of gold right? i.e older games (sonic 2, ottifants,SoR etc) were on gold and newer on platinum (sonic 3,S&K, SF2,etc) ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 2 copies of super volleyball, and both have completely different labels...both are US btw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The platinum is just a later version of gold right? i.e older games (sonic 2, ottifants,SoR etc) were on gold and newer on platinum (sonic 3,S&K, SF2,etc) ?
    That makes sense, and more-or-less fits with those I've got so far - the following are currently in the DP Database:

Gold
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Golden Axe II
    Sonic Spinball
    Streets of Rage
    Wonderboy in Monster World
    Wrestle War

Platinum
    Aladdin
    Mortal Kombat II
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Sonic 3
    SFII: SCE

I hadn't seen a Gold Sonic 2 or Ottifants, but I'll add them aswell.
    If you're aware of any more, let me know and I'll add them in.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gold collection: Quackshot, Turbo outrun, Shinobi III and Mickey mouse: world of illusion.

Thats probably about it.