Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Playstation 3 in 2007??? I dont think so!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Breath IN

Breath OUT

Everybody feel better? Good, lets not flame each other or the thread will just be locked and nothing will be accomplished. Back to discussion.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by kai123
    Good, lets not flame each other or the thread will just be locked and nothing will be accomplished.
    Oh I think we've already reached that point without the thread being locked.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

kai,

I really don't think that I was at all rude in my reply. Why I got statements like this last time was a surprise to me:

Wow, are you the editor-in-chief of Gamepro?
    By the way, I love your razor sharp examples of new features introduced by each system. Truly classic! How old are you?
    I found this an interesting topic, and I really don't believe that there will be a compelling reason to upgrade to the next generation of consoles until they can provide a new play mechanic that is available due to the upgrade. I made this clear in my last post and I outlined the history that upgrades have in consoles, and because of my differing opinion, I was made fun of. That isn't a fair conversation, and I don't think it is fair to make fun of anyone for stating a differing opinion, and I think that Joe and the rest of the DP staff would feel the same way. If that is the way that RCM is going to reply to posts I simply will no longer pay any attention to him.

Anyway, I am completely done with this now and I will not post again about it unless this topic gets back on track and my opinion is asked.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

goatdan-

I am not trying to pick a fight with you. Don't take offense to this if possible, but you seem pretty confused. I am actually young as well but not nearly as out of it as you. I will accept that there is no reasoning with you and that's fine with me. You completely missed my points and and are arguing for no good reason. If you don't like my comments perhaps you should become more informed about gaming and think about what you post before you hit the submit button. All in all I take no offense to your comments and truly hope you dont take offense to mine. You clearly missed me trying to be humorous quite a few times. I was just shocked by a lot of your comments. Maybe I am missing the humor, were all of those posts serious or were you trying to be funny? My hope is with the latter. I had the impression that the people on DP were well informed. Anyway, hopefully no harm is done. At least you learned what a PSX is! You learn something new everyday!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What we need

What we need isn't the next generation of CONSOLES, we need the next generation of games. I doubt that any of the current consoles have been pushed by more than 1% of the titles out for each system, when you compare to what was being done for Atari 2600 5 years into it's release. It won't matter if the consoles are more powerful if the games are a significant enough improvement to justify buying them.

My other point is, I have no point.

Actually, my other point is that the next generation console winner WILL be backward compatible with the previous console. The only two consoles to carry a legacy of success over multiple generations are the Game Boy series and the Playstation series. If Xbox isn't backward compatible, it will seriously hurt it's odds of success.

In order to capture the next gen console buyers, you have to appeal at least partially to their checkbooks. Assume that they don't want to have 2 generations of consoles sitting around their entertainment centers- unlike most of us. If you can buy Xbox2 and still play your 20 old Xbox games- dammit, why not? Get Halo3, an Xbox2, and still have all your old titles to play. Ditch the old Xbox, or just put it in junior's room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Wow, I'd love to know what the hell Sony did to half of the posters here. It seems to me that they'd have a better reputation had they drowned a basketfull of kittens, lit an orphanage on fire and gave the Pope a golden shower. I don't own a ps2 and of the 3 current systems it's my least favorite, mostly because of faulty hardware issues, not due to the fact that they are the market leader or somehow pushed Nintendo off the monkey bars and can swing the highest on the swingset. Get over it, your nostalgia for Nintendo is as generic as everyone else's and I'm sick of hearing Sony raked over the coals. Now...if you'll excuse me, I've got to go play some......Four Swords Adventures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[Rakes Sony over the coals more]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

don't blame sony, blame the american public/marketing people.

look at all the arcade/shooter/etc. titles for the PS2 in japan, as opposed to the US's library.

while nintendo does milk the HELL out of their franchises just like everyone else, at least there was a discernable difference between mario 1-3 as opposed to say, tomb raider 1-3. i think that's the harshest criticism that can be leveled at sony, is that the franchises that are pushed over here, frankly suck.

my PS library that i sold off most of was CRAMMED with just as many great games as any other system. they're just the ones that never got any attention, or were oddball ones that came over early in the system's life cycle, that never appealed to americans (i.e. Jumping Flash).

sony's marketing people somewhere along the line discovered americans want (other than sports) an "experience", not a game. metal gear is an "experience", GTA is an "experience", gradius V isn't. while those games are kinda nifty the first time through, they're a chore whenever you want to go back and revisit, whereas gradius will undoubtedly still be fun 10 years from now. the american market wants something they can get through from start to finish, from point a -> b, not "this game is just too hard for you, so either deal and get better, or play something else."

anyone remember spiderman on the genesis, and the flood of calls that sega's customer service line got when people called and said there was something wrong with the game because they couldn't figure out how to beat sandman?

can you imagine that in today's significantly more whiny climate?

"I SPENT $50 ON WHAT?! I CAN'T GET PAST THE 2ND F-%#@ LEVEL! I'M GONNA SUE!"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dethink
    while nintendo does milk the HELL out of their franchises just like everyone else, at least there was a discernable difference between mario 1-3 as opposed to say, tomb raider 1-3. i think that's the harshest criticism that can be leveled at sony, is that the franchises that are pushed over here, frankly suck.
    TR2 didn't suck; it was the best game of the series. TR3 sucked, because the creators of the franchise had bailed Core to make a new game called Galleon (which Atlus is publishing in the States later this year).

sony's marketing people somewhere along the line discovered americans want (other than sports) an "experience", not a game. metal gear is an "experience", GTA is an "experience", gradius V isn't.
    I recently read a review which referred to these meta-categories as "experience games" and "score-attack games." (I would've gone with "high-score games" myself.) But you're right: high-score games aren't what Americans want. The Sims isn't a high-score game. GTA3/VC aren't high-score games (although they do have scoring elements for players who pursue them, yet another of that game's brilliant design aspects). Need for Speed Underground is about 2/3 experience and 1/3 high-score.

I myself enjoy both categories, but I understand why most Americans prefer experience games: they just don't have the time to sink into the pattern memorization and flawless technique that high-score games demand. High-score games are great when you're a teenager with time to kill, but not so great when you're a grown-up with a job and a wife and (shudder) children.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    You know how long Sony Computer Entertainment has been around?
    Yep... a bit over 10 years. They were a spin off of Sony to R&D, manufacture, sell the PS.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/index_e.html
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Wow, I'd love to know what the hell Sony did to half of the posters here. It seems to me that they'd have a better reputation had they drowned a basketfull of kittens, lit an orphanage on fire and gave the Pope a golden shower.
    Shhhh. Your giving take 2 ideas for their next game

Ive never had a problem with any of my sony systems (playstation,psone,ps2), but the nes toaster i had made up for that. I guess people are sick of ripping on the toasters and now moving on to sony?

The Sims isn't a high-score game
    depends how you play it (cough simgenocide cough)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    You know how long Sony Computer Entertainment has been around?
    Yep... a bit over 10 years. They were a spin off of Sony to R&D, manufacture, sell the PS.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/index_e.html
    when did Sony Imagesoft first appear??
    -Jan

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    I recently read a review which referred to these meta-categories as "experience games" and "score-attack games." (I would've gone with "high-score games" myself.) But you're right: high-score games aren't what Americans want. The Sims isn't a high-score game. GTA3/VC aren't high-score games (although they do have scoring elements for players who pursue them, yet another of that game's brilliant design aspects). Need for Speed Underground is about 2/3 experience and 1/3 high-score.

I myself enjoy both categories, but I understand why most Americans prefer experience games: they just don't have the time to sink into the pattern memorization and flawless technique that high-score games demand. High-score games are great when you're a teenager with time to kill, but not so great when you're a grown-up with a job and a wife and (shudder) children.

-- Z.
    *shrugs*

to each their own. now that i'm settling down, i find it easier to put a few rounds into something arcadey, rather than have to block out 2 or 3 hours to play xenogears, and pray i get to a save point so i don't have to go through all the reading again.... or play for 60-70 hours to complete VC 100%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I should've mentioned that the PS2 was exceeding the PS1 in sales performance, but I already receive enough heat in this very anti-Sony forum for daring to point out the company's success.
    Weren't you the one who posted the "I officially hate Sony" thread a while back?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    I should've mentioned that the PS2 was exceeding the PS1 in sales performance, but I already receive enough heat in this very anti-Sony forum for daring to point out the company's success.
    Weren't you the one who posted the "I officially hate Sony" thread a while back?
    Ah, yes, my ill-advised rant about Sony's quality-control policies, which was cut-and-pasted onto every freakin' forum in existence, or so it seemed. And, of course, the only post of mine on this forum that drew the attention of a Sony employee. You can't win for losin'.

Prior to that rant, I'd been accused of Sony fanboyism on umpteen occasions.

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dethink
    to each their own. :) now that i'm settling down, i find it easier to put a few rounds into something arcadey, rather than have to block out 2 or 3 hours to play xenogears, and pray i get to a save point so i don't have to go through all the reading again.... LOL or play for 60-70 hours to complete VC 100%.
    But are you a teenager with time to kill, or a grown-up with responsibilities? If you're the latter, your preference for high-score games is an interesting exception to the rule.

-- Z.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Ah, yes, my ill-advised rant about Sony's quality-control policie...
    ... which completely blow...

... but I still like games on Sony consoles. Which is probably as far as my affection for any console company runs.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

when did Sony Imagesoft first appear??
    I think with flying hero for the famicom. Though the only good game they ever really made was skyblazer and in a ways hook.[/quote]
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.