Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3 in 2007??? I dont think so!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Playstation 3 in 2007??? I dont think so!

There have been several reports on the internet that are pointing to the Playstation 3 not coming out to the end of 2006/2007. I dont think that this is a good move at all, with the PS2 really starting to show its age already. I know that the PS2 has a considerable lead in the market, but is this a good move? Does Sony really think they can milk the PS2 that long? I know that the PS one was on vapors for several years, but this console war is different in my opinion. The stakes are alot higher, for the loser of the big three(Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft) might bow out of the console making business. Is it to focus on the PSP? What the heck?
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and what makes u think the loser will bow out of making consoles???
    Wolverine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Link. What makes you think the "loser" will decide to stop? All three companies have a lot of money, especially Microsoft. If MS were the "loser", they'd still go just because they have money to burn and MAKE people love them. If Nintendo's #3, they still will stick around because people actually like their games. If Sony's numero tres, well.. I dunno what Sony would do. They've never been out of first sadly. Let's hope this round shows them what it's like to NOT be first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    If Sony's numero tres, well.. I dunno what Sony would do. They've never been out of first sadly. :o
    You know how long Sony Computer Entertainment has been around? They put the original Lode Runner on the MSX computer. They've been around quite a while, and not always in first place :)

Anyhow, I've seen 2007 as a late date for how long certain publishers are planning on supporting the PS2. I was pretty sure that Sony had said 2005 for the PS3...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

As for the looser bowing out of the console makingI was thinking of Microsoft and Nintendo mostly. They really do have more to loose this next round in the console war. Its kind of wierd to even think of Sony placing last.....but then again anything goes these days. The whole 2007 thing is distrubing to me. Again I have heard stuff from various sites, and nothing set in stone. I think all three companies need to be competitive, but the more I think about it, I dont think Sony can roll out an expensive handheld and new system so close together...even for them there is a limit on how much they can spend at once!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    If Sony's numero tres, well.. I dunno what Sony would do. They've never been out of first sadly.
    You know how long Sony Computer Entertainment has been around? They put the original Lode Runner on the MSX computer. They've been around quite a while, and not always in first place
    I mean first place in the console business.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    If Sony's numero tres, well.. I dunno what Sony would do. They've never been out of first sadly. :o
    You know how long Sony Computer Entertainment has been around? They put the original Lode Runner on the MSX computer. They've been around quite a while, and not always in first place :)

Anyhow, I've seen 2007 as a late date for how long certain publishers are planning on supporting the PS2. I was pretty sure that Sony had said 2005 for the PS3...
    Sony has NEVER officially announced a release date for the PS3. Dunno where you heard it had.

A 2006/2007 ship date for the PS3 wouldn't surprise me at all, since one of Sony's major themes at this year's E3 was its desire to break the traditional five-year hardware cycle and extend it to a ten-year cycle. In theory, this would giving manufacturers and publishers more time to recoup on ever-increasing R&D expenses, and more time to explore current technology instead of always worrying about the Next Big Thing.

One stat of Sony's that gave much credence to their plan: 90% of PS1 hardware sales came when the price point was $149 or less. In other words, if the PS2 mirrors the sales history of the PS1--which, so far, it has--the PS2's dominance has only just begun. Why interfere with the PS2 by prematurely launching the PS3?

Sony was beaten to market twice before by competing consoles (Saturn and Dreamcast), and it didn't hurt 'em at all. Nintendo certainly won't be a threat with its next console, as it's been all downhill since the NES. Microsoft could be a threat, but it's still a one-trick pony, and hasn't proven it can establish multiple brands.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That date wouldn't have been official, more rumors than anything. This does make sense, though, and also does make me hate Sony more than ever ;P

I'll bet you this trend won't last, but it should serve them for a good number of years. Just a hunch I have about how technology moves along. The PS3 will have to be something amazing to survive for six years, and the PS4...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that some others have nailed this topic right on the head. Basically, if Sony did put out the PS3 in 2006 or 2007, that wouldn't be so far fetched. In fact, that would be a five year product cycle again.

I think that Microsoft is trying to push out the next XBox so that they can continue to be the technological leader, but I don't think pushing it out so soon will be a great help to them -- unless they can price the new one EXTREMELY low to compete with the current crop. I don't think that a new console launching right now at a price point of $300.00 or more would make too much of a splash, as at least the PS2 has enough of a life cycle in it that most people wouldn't upgrade unless exclusive content came out for the new system, which quite frankly Microsoft isn't very big into (And before the bashing begins, I own an Xbox and I love it. I just don't see that many exclusives that are vastly different and/or superior to other games...)

I think that a new system launched at $150.00 could compete, but the only company stupid (or smart) enough to do that would be Microsoft... Guess we'll have to see exactly what is in store with the Xbox 2!

But until then, long live the PS2 hardware and lets slow the market down for a long, long time so I can continue to enjoy owning a "current" system
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I think that Sony can and will continue to milk the PS2. For two reasons. A the console is currently in first place. B Sony is still milking THE PSONE! So until a next gen system comes out that starts to sell like hot cakes Sony will be happy with there current hardware.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope sony continues supporting the ps2 and someone takes the bastards out. I wouldn't even mind seeing microsoft do it.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Its well known that the PS3 isnt gonna get out until the new 65 Nm processors are well into production. That is slated for late 2005-2006. So they take a little longer and maybe even go till 2007.

They are going to be publishing for the PsP Which will have no real ports after the GT4 launch game. They want all new games for that system, and still more PS2 games will be developed into oblivion. Let em milk the system, Cause I dont want the PS3 to seem like its hitting its best span, 2-3 years into the life of the system.

There really is no rush for Sony to cough out a new system. They are makin plenty of money per system, and they are still selling incredibly well. They arnt in a rush, dont see why we need to clamor for a new system either, there are plenty of games and things for us to enjoy right now.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    Its well known that the PS3 isnt gonna get out until the new 65 Nm processors are well into production. That is slated for late 2005-2006. So they take a little longer and maybe even go till 2007.

They are going to be publishing for the PsP Which will have no real ports after the GT4 launch game. They want all new games for that system, and still more PS2 games will be developed into oblivion. Let em milk the system, Cause I dont want the PS3 to seem like its hitting its best span, 2-3 years into the life of the system.

There really is no rush for Sony to cough out a new system. They are makin plenty of money per system, and they are still selling incredibly well. They arnt in a rush, dont see why we need to clamor for a new system either, there are plenty of games and things for us to enjoy right now.
    I'm sorry but the psp is full of ports. In fact the only original game I have seen is that death jr. That is not a bad thing but don't get your hopes up on a all original line up.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by kai123
    I'm sorry but the psp is full of ports. In fact the only original game I have seen is that death jr. That is not a bad thing but don't get your hopes up on a all original line up.
    Sequels do not equal Ports. Sony has said that they dont want to just port games, it takes away from the selling points for the system. The only reason that you've really seen Death Jr. is because thats really the only one thats being shown in decently large amounts. Most everything else is all a rare random screen shots and non playable demos. http://www.us.playstation.com/news.aspx?id=328

Ive never heard of Metal Gear: Acid before, guess thats a port too. Just because the systems development unit is suppose to be close to the PS2 archecture doesnt mean that they are going to port games, it just allows for easier development and the useage of physics and game and graphics engines.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    Ive never heard of Metal Gear: Acid before, guess thats a port too.
    Needs rolleyes :P

Anyhow, the big difference between the two is that PSP is gonna be...NURBSy. So...they're still similar, you can do ports easy, but the PSP should end up better.

Death Jr. isn't very impressive, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Link. What makes you think the "loser" will decide to stop? All three companies have a lot of money, especially Microsoft. If MS were the "loser", they'd still go just because they have money to burn and MAKE people love them.
    you do know that Bill Gates once said that if the Xbox2 is going to lose MS as much money as the xbox is doing they probably won't make another system. Yes, MS has A LOT of money to burn but if they realize they won't find a way to make profit they will stop their console, they are known well enough in the world, they don't need another market just to make them more popular or whatever...
    -Jan

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont mind sony milking the ps2- saves me having to fork over a few hundred to have a current system

I also dont think the loser of this "console war" will bow out of consoles, but if nintendo (sorry) lose the next round aswell then maybe...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mm I remember reading back a while on IGN they interviewed someone from sony and the statement they gave was " the cell technology is still deep in development and wont be done untill sometime in 2006 EARLIEST" personally i think if xbox 2 GETS the 3rd party support, like EA and recently square-enix was looking into it...it can sell.....remember we make up like what...30% of the gamers in the world? most people who play games want GRAPHICS or the latest technology, so i can see people buying it.....its either do or die for xbox's future, if they throw the box2 at us and it rocks then sony is in for a suprise, but if it fails...its doomed like sega was.....i for one hope it rocks, i will support it, sick of ps2 this and ps2 that, its not even a good system except for its small rpg library and its few good platformers....call me a segafanboy but when sony released the psx and knocked saturn out, then knocked DC out...all i have is hate for sony...and i dont support it at all.
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Playstation 3 in 2007??? I dont think so!

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    There have been several reports on the internet that are pointing to the Playstation 3 not coming out to the end of 2006/2007. I dont think that this is a good move at all, with the PS2 really starting to show its age already. I know that the PS2 has a considerable lead in the market, but is this a good move? Does Sony really think they can milk the PS2 that long? I know that the PS one was on vapors for several years, but this console war is different in my opinion. The stakes are alot higher, for the loser of the big three(Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft) might bow out of the console making business. Is it to focus on the PSP? What the heck?
    Are better graphics and sound effects necessarily going to mean better games? Believe me, once the PS3 is released all you're going to see are new ports and sequels of the same boring games that they're making now. The gaming industry needs an injection of creativity and imagination, not more power.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Milking out the life of the ps2.........hrm...maybe we should start calling it the atari ps2...........*coughs*