Thread: Playstation 2 HDD

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playstation 2 HDD

Hello everyone I'm kinda new here. I've only made a couple reply posts so far. Here's my story.

Today at Goodwill I stumbled upon a Playstation 2 HDD with Final Fantasy XI and I bought it for only $15. When i got home i realized that someone had bought this from Target, swapped the 40GB Hard Drive in it with a crappy 3.2 GB and returned it to Target. Then somehow it got to Goodwill. I was wondering if anyone knew if you could use another hard drive for the PS2 and if there has been any types of modding done with it yet like with the Xbox's hard drive. If not I have a PS2 HDD box and a copy of Final Fantasy XI for sale.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes you can now use an aftermarket hard-drive with the PS2.

But you need to buy HDLoader and also you have to have the Network Adapter.

Here is some info :
    http://www.maxconsole.com/?mode=comments&newsid=2277

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

That sucks man, I'm sorry to hear that.

Did you buy it more for the HD or FFXI? If the latter, at least you got something for a fair price.

And you can't even take it back to goodwill......that really bites.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought it more for the Hard Drive but wanted Final Fantasy too. I don't know if you can even play it without the HDD. And is it only online playable? the person who kept the real HDD probalby used the online code for it already. At least I only paid $15 for it. Maybe I should just pull what he did and try returning it to a store. Then I could buy myself $100 worth of other video games. Besides the missing HDD it's complete with box, instructions and everything else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh man, heh. I guess that 3.2 GB hard drive is a mite better than some of the hard drives in $20+ computers I've bought at Goodwill, though, if that's any consolation. At least you have the enclosure and such

Man, that's pretty awful. I'm really sorry about that, but it's pretty funny at the same time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if its the same everywhere but in my area Taget donates a lot of old and returned stock to Goodwill. In fact, some of the Goodwills in my area has entire shelves of just Target stock (which Target prices themselves BTW). This is probably how it ended up in your local Goodwill.

Also, unfortunately I believe the hard drive is required to play Final Fantasy

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quite unfortunately, I know the feeling. I paid quite a bit of money to get a Dreamcast broadband adaptor from a Gamestop ($25.00 -- good deal but...)

I bought it just a couple days before a trip that I left on and when I returned, I was promptly hit by a drunk driver, so I really didn't have much time to look at the thing, especially since I didn't have broadband yet.

Well, I finally pulled it out and found that it was just a standard modem. Someone bought a broadband adaptor, put it in their 'Cast, sold the modem back to Gamestop and since it took me over a month to figure it out, no returns.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    And you can't even take it back to goodwill......that really bites.
    Actually, Goodwill has a 7 day return policy.

Personally, I'd either go to eBay with it (noting the hard drive problem, of course) or dispose of FFXI and wait for the HDD Loader.

And this is one of my biggest pet peaves about Goodwill. They really don't check their merchandise at all. I know, I know. It's a thrift store, what do you expect? The thing is, people seem to just dump crap electronics there that are broken and aren't worth fixing. Everytime I go there, I see stacks of cheap VCRs and CD players that don't work and are really designed to be disposables. I don't know if I'm more irritated with the fact that the Goodwill people never check anything, or the fact that a lot of people can't tell the difference between trash and charitable donations...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed, Captain Wrong. I always check N64s at the Salvation Army for the expansion pack. I'd estimate at least half the consoles I check are missing the jumper pack altogether. On the one hand I guess it's not much different than buying a console sans controllers or AC adapter, but on the other hand, unless you know the N64 you are gonna get shafted.

Especially hilarious when they are charging like $35 for one....