Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Saturn worth it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Sega Saturn worth it?

OK, all you guy's we're awesome in my post "Neo CD...worth it?". Thanks to all your input I have decided to just emulate Neo CD on PC/Xbox. However, having exhausted my Dreamcast collection I am still looking for a system worth collecting. I have not been happy with Sega Saturn emulation. I have tried everything from Satourne to GiriGiri hacked but find it not to great (I mean geez Chankast emulates Dreamcast better!) the last straw was I wanted to play Deep Fear as I love Resident Evil type games, it booted but the cut scenes don't play and textures (like legs!) are missing from my main character! I want to play Sega Saturn games as I never owned it originally (too exspensive) and yes I went the playstation route (not that I regretted it. Regarding Sega Saturn, I am thinking to seek out a system on Ebay, am looking to be able to play CDr's AND imports. To my understanding that requires Action Replay 4in1 and a modchip.
    Please as someone looking to invest in Sega Saturn I would really appreciate all of your great opinions/experiences/stories/recommendations and tips regarding Sega Saturn Hardware and Software, as always thanks in advance!!!!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say go for it. Sure most of the "better" games cost an arm and a leg. Though alot of solid games can be found cheap aswell.

I would get astal,panzer dragoon series,Prikura Daisakusen,The shining games,dragon force and the capcom 2d fighters.

Oh by the way, if your into trading games. I happien to have a spare saturn (model 2).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

YES YES OH GOD YES!

The Sega Saturn is the BEST 32 bit system in my opinion. It had some of the best games ever.

NiGHTS (and Christas NiGHTS especially)
    Panzer Dragoon (all of em)
    Daytona USA (The racing game for non racing game fans)
    Bug!
    Shining Force 3
    Sonic R
    Sonic Jam

and many many more that I can't count. The system was top of the line, I suggest buy it and cherish it, and play it everday.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I will be getting a Saturn bundle soon and though I never thought much of it in previous years I'm fairly excited about it. I've been hanking for the chance to try out Astal and Nights so I'll be paying attention to this thread a little closely as well.

Outside of the relatively well known titles what are some great obscure domestic releases?

How many games can you save on the internal battery alone? Just curious.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    I will be getting a Saturn bundle soon and though I never thought much of it in previous years I'm fairly excited about it. I've been hanking for the chance to try out Astal and Nights so I'll be paying attention to this thread a little closely as well.

Outside of the relatively well known titles what are some great obscure domestic releases?

How many games can you save on the internal battery alone? Just curious.
    3 dirty dwarves is a pretty good beat'um'up. Galactic Attack and of course guardian heros are also solid u.s releases. I can't beleive i didn't say nights in my first post.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nightwarriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge is a required first purchase if you're a fan of fighting games. In fact, I bought my copy weeks BEFORE I purchased my Saturn!

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    YES YES OH GOD YES!
    I couldn't have said it better myself Though, to unlock the full fun factor, you need to get into importing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want to chip it, you MUST have a round buttoned Saturn. The chips for the oval buttoned ones are long ago discontinued and nigh impossible to get.

I have a spare round buttoned Saturn actually. I could chip it, and region switch it too. The region switch would eliminate the need for the Action Replay for import play, freeing the cart slot for saving, and RAM expansion function. I have to find a controller for it though.

PM me if interested.

Otherwise get a round buttoned one. They are worth it. Shooters, Fighters, and a very different 'feel' than the Playstation.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If your TV supports s-video then I would suggest you get an s-video cable for your saturn asap. Your games will look fantastic!

Of course you'll need the AR 4-in-1 and get a Nights with the 3D Analog controller bundle (they're all over ebay cheap) and if you get a Model 1 Saturn then you'll want to upgrade your controllers to the model 2 versions, they just feel better IMO.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suggest getting it for Deep Fear alone like you want. Much better than Resident Evil, then again I never like the Resident Evil series but I actually finished Deep Fear. Grab a Saturn and you will be happy.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

You know, I'd LOVE to get a Saturn and what are considered the best games for it, but it's just too much of a expense and hassle.

The fact is that you can get most of these older systems for pretty cheap, and that's true. However, in order to really spend any time with them, you have to buy a whole mess of other stuff. The cables and hookups, a second and normaly better controller, a memory card or expansion pack -- and THEN you have to get into the games.

When I got both my Sega CD and 3DO systems, all of the above stuff, with shipping, pushed me over $200 for each one. And none of the games were really THAT expensive -- I'd say around five to six games for each system, nothing more then $20 each.

Add to the fact that a lot of good games I'd like to play for the Saturn are either VERY expensive (Panzer Dragoon Saga) or are Japan only, and you're looking at twice that price by the time I have a 'basic' system and games.

Is it any wonder, with my money tight, that I prefer emulation over actually having the system?

Hopefully some day a good Saturn emulator will come out so I can save SOME money and just buy the games.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get a saturn.
    Get it now.
    Go to Jandaman get a modchip, a 4in1 cart then go grab a saturn with round power buttons. Unscrew it, solder the two simple wires and you're done. And it's not expensive at all to buy the chip and cart through jan. Works beautifully and you can play and backup or import game you want. The us saturn collecting may not be exillerating, but it does have quite a few enjoyable games if you search em out. Then when it comes to import games, there is tons of kick ass stuff to delve into. Plethoras of very good looking 2d shooters, so if you're into shooter or fighters there's tons of gamin goodness to be had there.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saturn will always be king .

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Sega Saturn worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer
    I have not been happy with Sega Saturn emulation. I have tried everything from Satourne to GiriGiri hacked but find it not to great (I mean geez Chankast emulates Dreamcast better!)
    Just remember that the saturn has 2 cpu's and is a heck of a lot more complicated than a DC, which is fairly similar to a pc (in some respects)

I also recommend getting a saturn for both the good common games and the good imports. Theres enough of both to make owning the system worth while, which is more than i can say for a lot of other systems.

Personally im happy with my purchase of a saturn, even though ive only got 11 games and no 4-in-1 (despite having a US darius gaiden for 6-months). It doesnt get as much play as the other sega consoles, but its worth having

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Between Dreamcast and Saturn, I pick Dreamcast, but when you're done collecting DC and want to get a few more, go for Saturn, if you'r einto imports, Saturn (DC for newer ports) has so many Neo-Geo ports that would cost you arms and legs if you try to get them on Neo-Geo. On thing that Saturn misses, is the perfect Sega 3D arcade ports DC has.

Anyone remember back in 98 when Best Buy was clearing out Saturn games for $10 each, I drove around Southern MN and Wisc Best Buy stores and stocked up quite a few, plus TRU held on to many games toward 2000, including Super Puzzle Fighters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good GOD! you must own a Saturn. There not all that costly(The systems) and have a good library of unique games.

My ss list of must haves:

Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    Panzer Dragoon Saga(expensive BUT worth it! )
    Gaurdian Heros
    Sega Rally championship (CHEAP!)
    Nights
    ANY Capcom fighting game ex. X-men vs Street Fighter

Should Haves:
    Shining the Holy Arc
    Viruta Fighters
    Die Hard Arcade
    Earth Worm Jim 2 (Best version IMO)
    Raident Silvergun (Too damn expensive though )

Well that should be a god start!
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, get a saturn. I love mine, and you do not need a 4 in 1 cart. Just do a import switch mod. I did one on mine where you press the reset button and it changes reigion codes. It's wonderful for playing my imports. When i did the improt mod i also painted it, click on the link in my sig to see pics. Also you may want to get the type 2 controllers, they are a little samller, and much more comfortable. And with any SEGA made saturn controller you can enjoy the BEST D-PAD ever!!! As for games get Nights, Sonic R, Bust-A-Move 3, Virtual Cop 2, Astal, The Panzer Dragoon Games, Detana Twin Bee Delux(import), Fighting Vipers, BURNING RANGERS, MegaMan X4, and Christmas Nights(for basically having just one level this game has loads of replay value, and a thing that you can unlock where you can play nights as sonic!)........So, YES. Get a Saturn.

Here are some links:

Import Mod Instructions - http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/saturncon.htm

Switchless import mod(what i did) - http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/sat_switchless.htm

A nice, but outdated saturn page(check out the movies of the jap TV adds for saturn) - www.sega-saturn.com

Brief Saturn info - http://www.segaoa.com/saturn.html
    The Monarch: Hey, guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist-fight between Anne Frank and Lizzie Borden. We never should have brought the henchmen. We're going to be the only ones there with henchmen!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47835

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Definetly get a Saturn! It's one of my most played systems.

While it's true you don't *need* a Action Replay 4 in 1, you should get one anyway. There are some games that require the extra RAM (Metal Slug, D&D, some other Capcom games) and the built in Region defeat saves you from doing any other modifications to your Saturn besides a MOD chip. I recommend NCSX as a source for the cart: http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/EMS-ARP.html

To MOD chip it is ridiculously simple. Ensure you buy a 21 pin model (Model 2, round buttons as other people have said). Solder one wire to your powersupply, or even just tape it electrical tape. You'll see why when you open it. Solder the other wire to 1 leg of 1 chip. Plug in chip to the Saturn's MB, hook ribbon cable to MOD chip... done!

Great, underrated system.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes you need a saturn, best 32bit sysytem out there, saturn is my main import machine, i bought a few of the hard to find US tittles but everything else i been buying has been imports, and there making me go broke lol.....

AS to the internal battery question....lol not many...maybe like 4.. or 3 depending on the game.
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes,its worth it.do your self a favor and get a saturn,right away!! i have a action replay 4in1 cart to play imports,and its great.i think everyone listed almost all of the "must have" us released games except for a few,1.dark savior,thats a greatgame. 2.the legend of oasis. 3.sega ages(almost arcade perfect ports of outrun,afterburner,and space harrier,all on one disk)and if you are into wrestling games then you will need to get the import games:1.fire pro wrestling s 6 man scramble2.blazing tornado.in my opinion,those are the best wrestling games ever made.also,i heard the import version of castlevania had some extra areas and stuff then the psx release of synphony of the night,but i never got to play that one yet.so yeah,the saturn is definally worth it!!
    do not buy/get system repair from martin krohn aka iamnotageek.com