Thread: Console Flight Sim Suggestions

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Console Flight Sim Suggestions

I've never been into flight sims or flying games unti I recently when picked up Sky Odyssey[PS2] and Sky Gunner[PS2]. Both are fun games but each one lacks a little "something" that keeps it from achieving greatness. Then I played Crimson Skies on the Xbox for the first time last week and I AM IMPRESSED! This game has greatness!

Are there any other console flight games out there that I should try/avoid?

I'm currently playing PS2(PS1), Saturn, and Xbox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Check out Ace Combat 4 for the PS2 (the earlier ones are good too, and AC5 is due out pretty soon as well).

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If your playin saturn, then id have to suggest Wing Arms. From what i hear it pales in comparison to the Ace Combat series, but then again everything does

If you have a DC then theres a couple of good ones of that: Aero Wings series and Deadly something (cant remember the name).

Theres another Flight combat game game on PS2, but i cant remember its name either. Also not as good as AC

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default it's a bird, it's a plane....

ace combat 4 is the best game in the genre on the ps2, but here's a couple of others:

lethal skies
    lethal skies II
    both are good (better than the biased reviews you'll see on too many sites), but i'll admit that they have slightly touchy controls. but do the practice missions and you're golden. plus the replay feature has an interesting graph viewpoint and you can save replays to a memory card (takes up mucho space). still, both games are easy to find and inexpensive. part II has some amazing cinemas and pop-art menus to go with the improved gameplay.

aero elite
    sega's entry (call it aerowings 3) is nice, but some of the backgrounds are weak, and some of the planes are a bit sluggish. still, there's a lot of different craft to fly (you get a helicopter at one point), and the tutorials are pretty cool.

top gun: combat zones
    looks great, but so, so hard to control your plane here. if you get used to the game almost always starting you out either too close to the ground or speeding toward cliffs, you'll find a random mission generator that adds weeks of gameplay in addition to the long main campaign.

dropship
    underrated (highly) and challenging, this is a futuristic flight sim with some vehicles to drive as well. there are a few visual annoyances, but for the most part the game is well done and definitely worth tracking down.

fire blade
    midway's arcade style helicopter game. sort of like a steroid and caffiene powered version of EA's strike games. fairly long and tough at points (make sure you do the tutorial levels!)

thunder strike: operation phoenix
    so-so sequel to the sega cd/saturn/ps one 'copter game by core. there's a LOT to do in the game, but the visuals and controls are sort of slippery and headache inducing in a way. can be found really cheap.