Thread: It Pays to be a Jerk...I guess

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default It Pays to be a Jerk...I guess

Okay so I was bored tonight and decided I needed to get out. Went down to the local Gamestop. Lucky night they have their 2 for 1 used sale back on. This particular Gamestop is cool because it still has Dreamcast games and they are 30% off and if you have a Gamestop card you can take another 10% So I pick out Mortal Kombat Gold ($12.99), MSR($14.99), Eighteen Wheeler($9.99), Sega GT ($7.99), Sega Rally ($5.99) and Blue Stinger ($4.99). The two people behind the counter are new, 1 is a trainee the other either came from another store or is new too (I shop Gamestop 3 times a week I KNOW all the employees) I am polite and explain to the guys that I have six games I want to purchase MSR and MKG and get 18 whlr Free. Then I want to purchase GT. Rally, and Get Blue Stinger Free. If they can't do it in one purchase then I will make two seperate purchases. They get my disks and ring up...an of course it is Rally and Blue Stinger Free....sigh.
    I am still polite and I question the guys about what they have done. They explain that the register takes the two lowest. Ok as I have said I shop here 3 times a week and I KNOW that they can overide that feature becuase I have had it done several times before and anyway I told the guy that if that was the case to ring up two purchases. He looks me in the eye and says, "YOU CAN'T DO THAT". Whaaaaa? You did not just say that you son of a...anyway now I'm ballistic and I tell the guy I don't want the last three games and to take them off the receipt. He does, I pay him...I then promptly push the three other disks that he had set aside and say, "Changed my mind I'll buy these three NOW...Tell me I can't do that F*&^#$!" Anyway I got my games for 25.18 + Ca tax.
    Aha! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your avatar is too big. Like.. too big, dude. Way too big. Dude.

And, I don't want to seem rude, but that does make you seem like a jerk. But I understand what you are saying.

Actually, after a reread.. My GameStop ALWAYS does it that way. They sort the games by price and take off every third game so you save the most. I don't get why yours didn't. They must have been new. Good for you. Just hope they don't all of a sudden give you a "look" every time you enter the store. "Uh oh, here comes that difficult guy again."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well i'm in complete agreement here ... your avatar is way to big.

And now back on topic ... damn right, it wouldn't have hurt them a bit to do that for you and if you want to get technical its important to keep the customer happy ... blah blah ... completely agree with you man take advantage of the sale. and if they don't like it then they need to change the sale to buy 2 and get the lowest priced game for free or some such thing.

yup ... thats what i think about it.
    Formerly letsallgameon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember the first time I encountered this sale, I took about I think 9 games up and asked first. "Which of these games do I get free?" they told me they sort them by price which is what they SHOULD do, and what TNT wanted all along. I thought it was just how GS does it. Guess I was wrong. Still, next time talk to the regular employees and see what's up.

Actually, when you usually shop there with the normal employees, do you always do separate purchases? I do one purchase and they adjust it for me correctly. I'm just confused and befuddled. Talk to them and find out what the story is.

Also.. how long is the sale on for??? PLEASE SAY UNTIL NEXT SATURDAY OR LONGER!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    Your avatar is too big. Like.. too big, dude. Way too big. Dude.

And, I don't want to seem rude, but that does make you seem like a jerk. But I understand what you are saying.

Actually, after a reread.. My GameStop ALWAYS does it that way. They sort the games by price and take off every third game so you save the most. I don't get why yours didn't. They must have been new. Good for you. Just hope they don't all of a sudden give you a "look" every time you enter the store. "Uh oh, here comes that difficult guy again."
    I've seen bigger Avatars around here...but I get your message It is now fixed until I can find something that can resize animated gifs. All I have is MS Paint.

I have never had that problem before...and I didn't mind the mistake. But to be told that I couldn't make two serperate purchases got to me.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's strange. I never shop GS or EB chains anymore since the ones near me carry NO cart based games which is all I buy and whenever they had that sale it was very explicit in the signs as well as their sales pitch that the LOWEST two games get removed. You can't mix and match them at any of the places in AZ that I've been to =\.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    That's strange. I never shop GS or EB chains anymore since the ones near me carry NO cart based games which is all I buy and whenever they had that sale it was very explicit in the signs as well as their sales pitch that the LOWEST two games get removed. You can't mix and match them at any of the places in AZ that I've been to =\.
    Actually, the signs say "Buy Two, Get One Free of Equal or Lesser Value".

So buy one. Buy one. Get one free. Buy one. Buy one. Get one free.

That's how all my stores interpret it. As well as my local EB's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how do these stupid kids get jobs at places like these?

sales are supposed to encourage business, not piss off customers

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

TNTPLUST, although you were being a jerk, yes, two things to consider. One, you wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of what you did, but more importantly, two, you should have just been smarter than them to begin with, and do what you did in the end, with 2 separate purchases. You knew how they are (It sucks, and is frustrating, I agree as well), so you have to overcompensate for their mindless job.

Nothing against you though. I'm sure put in your situation, my urge to kill would be rising... The situation sucks, because that's GS/EB for you.

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that's about how every store in the USA rings things up though, they always give you the lowest priced items for free.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    TNTPLUST, although you were being a jerk, yes, two things to consider. One, you wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of what you did, but more importantly, two, you should have just been smarter than them to begin with, and do what you did in the end, with 2 separate purchases. You knew how they are (It sucks, and is frustrating, I agree as well), so you have to overcompensate for their mindless job.

Nothing against you though. I'm sure put in your situation, my urge to kill would be rising... The situation sucks, because that's GS/EB for you.

dave
    Yeah, but he said "If I need to do two seperate purchases, then I'll do it that way" and the guy still messed it up, then told him he was wrong. The employee was just daft.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    Actually, the signs say "Buy Two, Get One Free of Equal or Lesser Value".

So buy one. Buy one. Get one free. Buy one. Buy one. Get one free.

That's how all my stores interpret it. As well as my local EB's.

Having been part of management at a Gamestop I can indeed verify that this is how it is supposed to work. Two highest, third free, next two highest, third free, so on and so forth. This store is run by dicks.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default sigh......

Its all about the golden rule.....do unto others that you would do unto yourself....I have worked in management at game stores, and see both sides. 1. Employees should know promotion procedure before they happen(mangagement should remind and train all employees before the day) 2. I never held cool promo stuff for arrogant customers . The next time you have an issue, kill with kindness for the real scores!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the same experience at one a long time ago. I walked in and there was a sign that said "buy two games, get one game of equal or lesser value free!" Sweeeeet, I thought figuring I could get a TON of stuff...

I moved through the store and I picked out over 50 cartridge and Dreamcast games and brought them up to the counter. I had picked out some higher priced games I wanted to play but had never wanted to pay full price for (Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy II and III come to mind) and a bunch of really cheap games too. They finished ringing up my order, and it seemed to be way to expensive, so I asked to make sure that I had the games taken off. They said they were. The games were:

NBA 2K
    NBA 2K1
    NFL 2K
    NFL 2K1
    WSB 2K1

and about 10 other $0.99 or below games. I kindly said that I wanted to get the third one free and they said that they couldn't do that. I said that if I walked in and bought the three games above, I would get one for free but since I bought these other cheaper games, I didn't. They said that was how the promotion had to go.

I told them that they could keep all 50 of the games and was ready to leave, and then their manager decided to call corporate to see if they could do it "my way" instead. I ended up getting the games like I should've from the beginning, but it wasted about 30 additional minutes of my time.

You weren't being a jerk, you were just being how any normal person would be in that situation.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I once bought a ton of games, and they gave me shit like GENESIS SPORTS GAMES and MENACER 6-PACK as the freebies Fukkin' 89 cent games were my freebies, when I bought at least five at $9.99 or so....

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

The Manimal: So wait, if you're picking up a ton of games on sale around the same price, why bother getting the sports cartirdges which are always cheaper then dirt anyway?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: sigh......

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    Its all about the golden rule.....do unto others that you would do unto yourself....I have worked in management at game stores, and see both sides. 1. Employees should know promotion procedure before they happen(mangagement should remind and train all employees before the day) 2. I never held cool promo stuff for arrogant customers . The next time you have an issue, kill with kindness for the real scores!
    I agree with you 100%. I do know most of the employees there but there has been an unusual amount of turnaround in the past few months. Don't know why. I too worked retail in my high school and college years and I know about difficult customers (Compusa, Target, Kmart, and Gemco..mostly as a service manger). My post was brief in description cause I truly was venting on something that had happened within 30 minutes of the post. I was not mad at the mistake as much as the fact at the rude comment (and it was said in a rude manner) that I could not make mutiple purchases. So by their reasoning I could not buy something go to my car change my mind come back into the store and purchase more product. It's a little absurd. I have since gone back to the store and asked a different employee about policy. He indicated what others have said that the register should have taken the third next highest price for free. His theory was that they must have entered it as two seperate purchases and mixed the games up so that I got the lowest titles free. Personally I don't know ..in my eyes It seemed only one transaction was entered but then again I wasn't paying strict attention.

Honestly I would like this thread to die...I posted out of anger and frustration and needed somewhere to vent. I am actually rather embarassed by my behavior. Then again it illustrates that the buyer must beware.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: sigh......

Quote Originally Posted by TNTPLUST
    I too worked retail in my high school and college years and I know about difficult customers (Compusa, Target, Kmart, and Gemco..mostly as a service manger). My post was brief in description cause I truly was venting on something that had happened within 30 minutes of the post. I was not mad at the mistake as much as the fact at the rude comment (and it was said in a rude manner) that I could not make mutiple purchases. So by their reasoning I could not buy something go to my car change my mind come back into the store and purchase more product. It's a little absurd.
    TNTPLUST, you were not being an arrogant customer by ANY means. I have worked in two service positions in the past where people would go absolutely ballistic if they didn't get their way (Chuck E Cheese and an amusement park) and I can definitely say that you requesting that was NOT being an arrogant customer. Like I said, I had the exact same thing happen to me at one of their stores with a much larger purchase, and I don't feel ashamed at all for how I handled the situation.

Honestly I would like this thread to die...I posted out of anger and frustration and needed somewhere to vent. I am actually rather embarassed by my behavior. Then again it illustrates that the buyer must beware.
    You shouldn't be. If you walked into the supermarket tonight and saw that there was a buy one get one free special on both candy bars and milk and you went to check out with two of each, and the store said that you got two free candy bars and had to pay full price for both gallons of milk, wouldn't you feel ripped off? I sure would...
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    The Manimal: So wait, if you're picking up a ton of games on sale around the same price, why bother getting the sports cartirdges which are always cheaper then dirt anyway?
    Because I wanted them.

Figured they wouldn't be jackasses and give the freebies as say, the third most expensive item, not the bottom end for EVERYTHING.