Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo DS vs. Sony PSP

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo DS vs. Sony PSP

When it comes to the battle of these two super portables, to me it all comes down to the quality of the screen/screens.

I've been waiting a very long time for a handheld gaming system that has a really, really good screen. So far, other than the Zodiac, which I don't consider to be a real entry into the portable market, I haven't found a screen that I've totally liked.

The Nintendo GameBoy Advance SP screen is decent, but just not bright enough, and vivid enough for me.

Now, it appears as though the Sony PSP will have the superior screen. But the big downside with the PSP, is the fact that Sony is going to position this portable as a 3D machine. On the other hand, the Ninendo DS will do both 3D and 2D, and in many instances at the same freaking time! Since I'm a huge, huge fan of 2D, and not a big time fan of 3D, this makes things more complicated.

I love the fact that the Sony screen is so large, and also that it's widescreen 16:9. I also feel that it most likely is a very bright and crisp display, considering the price is likely to be $249.99 or so. No way you can charge over $149.99 for a portable and not have a truly kick ass screen.

With the Nintendo DS, because they are using "TWO" screens, that worries me a bit. I know that one of the screens is a touch screen, with a protective coating on it, but still, you have to imagine that with the cost of having two screens, that the quality of the actual screens arent going to be that great.

I've heard that the non touch screen display is a little bit more vivid and bright then the SP, but we shall have to wait and see.

So for me it basically boils down to this.

Sony PSP = A screen that I've always been dreaming of, but a focus on 3D next gen type gaming.

Nintendo DS = Two screens, one of which is slightly better than the SP, the other a touch screen, and a focus on both 2D and 3D gaming, with some classic Nintendo gaming thrown in for good measure.

It will definitely be interesting to watch both of these units actually arrive at retail, and see exactly what they really turn out to be. When it comes to portables, you really need to see the final incarnation of the product up close and personal, to get a real feeling for it. Pictures and video of the units just won't cut it as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, by the way, another huge factor will be emulation. Will you be able to play SNES and Genny games on the PSP? That would be sweet! Then I might just be willing to go the PSP route. It does have the better screen, at least I'm thinking it does, and I just want some 2D love. So if I can play all the classic 2D games on the PSP via emulation, then I would probably go that route.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shouldn't the games be what matters?

I'm not looking forward to PSP because they haven't announced any games for it yet that even remotely interest me. On the other hand, there are already a handful of DS games that I'm clamoring for.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Nintendo DS vs. Sony PSP

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    When it comes to the battle of these two super portables, to me it all comes down to the quality of the screen/screens.
    Anthony, admit it, all you care about are your super monitors and HDTV. That's just about the only thing you ever focus on :P

As for the DS vs. PSP, let's see what gamers traditionally have cared about...

Battery time (10 hours on the PSP in PSP mode, five playing movies?)
    Accesibility (for the DS you have stylus/touchscreen, twin screens for realtime item switching, and VOICE recognition)
    Games

The Game Boy's classic puke green screen never stopped millions of Americans from having a hell of a good time with it, after all.

Like Rev says, we're gamers, and we're here for the games. Hardware fetishes are great (hell I've got one myself and I buy stuff I don't use!) but at the end of the day I'm here for the games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Nintendo DS vs. Sony PSP

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Anthony, admit it, all you care about are your super monitors and HDTV. That's just about the only thing you ever focus on :P

True. I've always been a huge fan of the "audio/video experience". I'm always looking toward that ultimate audio/video experience. But I'm not totally wrapped up in that. If all I cared about was graphics, then I wouldn't have played the Original Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac Man and Galaga about an hour ago on my XBOX via MameOX. I love the SNES and Genny and TG-16, just to name a few, and if all I cared about were HDTV screens and super monitors, then why the hell would I bother with old school games? I would only be playing the XBOX and GameCube in progressive scan on a HDTV, if that was the case.

Sure, I do love my HDTV's, and I can't wait for the new systems to come down the pipe that will be "TRULY" HDTV compatible, and "TRULY" widescreen compatible. That will be sweet.

And yes, I do love RGB monitors. The reason that I love RGB monitors so damn much, is because I really love the Genesis, SNES, Sega CD, TG-16, Saturn, Jaguar, PSX, etc, etc. and all of those particular systems just happen to look their best on a RGB monitor in "TRUE" rgb output. But that doesn't mean that I'm just a graphics whore and I don't care about what really matters, "the games".

Sure, in the end, "THE PLAY IS THE THING".

I know that.

But that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy that particular play on a nice crisp clear screen.

One reason that I've never really been that "into" portables, is because none of them had really had a screen that I thought was that great. Maybe it's kinda shallow of me, but dammit, I want a really crisp clear screen.

I believe that the PSP is going to have that kinda screen, but I'm not that enthused about the focus on 3D games and trying to have games that look like PS2 and XBOX games on it.

The Nintendo DS "may" have a crisp clear screen, and if that is the case, then I will probably roll with that one, considering I like Nintendo's classic type gameplay better anyways. I know that Nintendo isn't afraid to have the occasional 2D'ish type game or 2.5D'ish type game.

But I will say that if the Nintendo DS's screens are no better than the SP, then I will probably pass. At least until the price drops quite a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Handheld Super Mario 64? It has me sold.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My answer: Who gives a crap? I'm getting both!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The collector in me won't let me not get a PSP, but it'll be after the price drops severely and the software is into its 2nd generation or so.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link
    The collector in me won't let me not get a PSP, but it'll be after the price drops severely and the software is into its 2nd generation or so.
    I understand what you're saying, the main reason I'm wanting the PSP is for a 3D GTA and Gran Turismo. If they don't have either of those near launch, I probably won't be getting one for a long time(depending on price).

It's just I've always wanted to play a 3D GTA game while on the go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not even a question for me. DS all the way. I haven't gotten a PS2 yet
    so I doubt I'd get a PSP. I probably won't get anything until a price drop.
    $199 pre-orders for the DS. I don't need two screens that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

<thread jack>

You really aren't playing modern games unless you're playing them in at least 480p. It makes a HUGE difference. That is all.

</threadjack>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    Not even a question for me. DS all the way. I haven't gotten a PS2 yet
    so I doubt I'd get a PSP. I probably won't get anything until a price drop.
    $199 pre-orders for the DS. I don't need two screens that bad.
    That $200 mark is strictly EB's guess. The final price hasn't been set yet, but I believe Nintendo said they're going to shoot for around $150.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DS man; this is pretty cool...

I gotta say I've been pretty pessimistic about how this DS was gonna turn out...
    But I was wrong, I think this could be Nintendo's big gain again, it's wicked setup with some good games in production, so they better not screw it up.
    I love how it has that oldschool G&W look to it, and making the second screen a touch screen was the piece de reisistance.
    I'm just a litter worried about it's price, and even after the initial price it might take a LONG time to drop due to manufacturing costs... here's hoping it's cheap to make *but not TOO cheap!

About the only thing I think thats gonna give the PSP any advantage is the name itself.

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ok, how can we judge a screen that we've only seen pics of? It's like saying "Man, That HDTV screen isn't so good" when you see the commercial for one on a regular television. I mean, all in all, how can we really even tell what the better system will be right now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, like I said, it's all about the games.

And when I take a look at what's in development for both systems right now, DS wins hands down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link
    Well, like I said, it's all about the games.
    look at my signature
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Btw, I know this is a little off topic, but where did this Reggie dude come from all of the sudden? He seems cool, I hope he can help Nintendo really turn things around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oy, is this starting already?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know for a fact, I will get the DS when it comes out. Probably first day. They have to announce a price first. If it's $150, I'll pre-order it. Get it first thing. If it's more, I might have to hold off.

Actually, I may not even pre-order if I know my store will be getting them.

I'll be playing it by ear. I just hope it comes out this year. A Christmas release would be great. It'd be this years Christmas Present to myself. I did that with the Cube in 2001. And last year I got the GBA. (Albeit late. February.) This year it'd be the DS.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Ok, how can we judge a screen that we've only seen pics of? It's like saying "Man, That HDTV screen isn't so good" when you see the commercial for one on a regular television. I mean, all in all, how can we really even tell what the better system will be right now?
    No. But personally I think the DS sounds more exciting then the PSP, all the new gameplay possibilities is certainly something worth getting worked up about.

I mean besides a nice screen the PSP really isn't anything we haven't all seen before, and you really can't judge the system until we start seeing the games for it.

Although a new Nippon Ichi game has pretty much guarenteed that I'll be buying one eventually.
    ________
    GoldenBlond

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    <thread jack>

You really aren't playing modern games unless you're playing them in at least 480p. It makes a HUGE difference. That is all.

</threadjack>
    There's the reason it pains me to see Anthony start off the topic on what's unfortunately the "wrong foot" in talking about screen...quality. Not what the screen's concept is, not about UMD discs, touchscreens, PS2 quality graphics, voice recognition or wireless capabilities...but screen...quality.

Let's have a show of hands: who's looking at the new consoles in terms of screen quality (I guess that means sharpness and resolution)? Not me. The DS does 3D well enough and the resolution fits that. It's the PSP we need to be worried about.