Thread: Most Regrettable Gaming Moment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Selling my CIB Genesis and around 5 CIB games (including Fire Shark and Splatterhouse 2) to some crappy game store to purchase Star Fox for the SNES! Yeah, that's right.... all of that to purchase ONE SNES game! And this was in '93!

Selling my PSX and all 20-something CIB games (including Lunar: SSSC, Einhander, Time Crisis, etc) for, maybe $150 or so to pay for part of the rent, only to land a decent job 3 days later, which would've negated this whole need to sell my games in the first place. I actually have re-acquired all the prized gems that I sold (except that CIB Time Crisis set), but I still think that this was probably the dumbest move that I have ever made when it comes to games.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

This is an easy one for me to answer: throwing away all of my boxes prior to around 1999 when the bug to hunt down classic game bit me. If I was only into the really mainstream stuff, it wouldn't matter so much, but I was into RPGs and other stuff that was more obscure at the time and later became valuable. I'm guess I'm fortunate that my collection only dated back to the SNES and Game Boy back then, so it's not like I was doing it for decades. But still, just a sampling of what I threw away includes the boxes for Castlevania Legends, Lufia II, Super Mario RPG, and Harvest Moon.

I can be thankful that I always kept manuals at least, and the one exception I made to my throwing away rule was definitely a wise one. I loved Chrono Trigger so thoroughly that I saved the box just out of sentimental value. It's slightly squished from having something light resting on top of it for years, but in general, it's still very mint.

Another regret is buying the original Japanese-only King's Field for my boyfriend. I don't regret that in and of itself, but I wish I had done it at a later point in time or at least switched the memory card in the system. Little did we know that there was an option to format the card right in the game's menu. And I'm not talking an option menu on the title screen. I mean the in-game menu in which you also put on equipment and such. We were just trying to find the option to save the game. Well, we did, but bye bye 100 hour Tactics Ogre file I had been working on, getting deep into the bonus dungeon. I hadn't even beaten the game yet, and I still haven't because I sold the game. I bought the game with the intention of selling because it was a scratched up loose disc and I wanted to replace it with a complete copy. I was intending to beat it before selling it, but because of my disgust over losing my file, I sold it off then and there and still haven't bothered buying a complete copy of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a lot of "selling things" regrets.

In 1995 I sold my NES, Genesis, and SNES. . . all with several games to get a Playstation with Tekken.

FuncoLand/Gamestop is pure evil. I wish I just kept everything. They give the absolute worst prices possible.

Letting my sister anywhere near my games is a regret. I gave my copy of Mega Man 2 to a friend because my sister had literally spilled a liter of soda on it. He eventually got it to work. She also traded my NES copy of Snow Brothers for Super Mario Brothers 3 or something extremely common. I'm glad I don't share a state with her anymore.

Oh yeah, I raged out once and kicked a hole in a wall after getting worked in World Heroes. That was stupid.