Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The genesis of your Genesis experience

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default The genesis of your Genesis experience

Remember back when the NES was pretty much "it"? Magazines were jammed full of NES previews, reviews, pictures, ads, and other what not. Video stores began carrying NES games for rent. Seemed everywhere you looked it was NES, NES, NES. Sure there was the Master System and the Atari 7800 and your computer but it seemed everyone was just captivated by the power of Nintendo.

Then we hear about a new system Sega is coming out with: the Sega Genesis. It was coined a "16 bit" system, something gamers probably never really thought about. It had more powerful graphics, true stereo sound and had the backing of Sega's flagship arcade titles which all looked and played pretty dang close to the originals.

So to you Genesis owners out there, what were your first Genesis experiences? What made you buy the system? Was it your only system? Did you like it? If you jumped on the Sega train later on, aside from collecting what made you buy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Played it at friend's houses and store displays....Sonic, Toejam & Earl, Quackshot, Ren & Stimpy...of course I loved it. Got the Genesis 2 + Sonic 2 for Christmas '93. Ah...Aladdin, Cool Spot, Fun & Games, Shadow Dancer, Mortal Kombat, Altered Beast, Sonic 3 + Knuckles....

When I fell in love with video games all over again in '99 one of the first things I bought was a Genesis at a garage sale. Then I discovered so many games I passed up the first time around, like Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2, Contra Hard Corps, MERCS, Gaiares, and other greats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I saw plenty of it back around 1990, but I was into the Atari 7800 (those weren't exactly my best days).

A couple of years ago, at one of those second-hand stores that come and go around here, they had one. There were a few games there. It didn't work, but the problem was such that I felt I could repair it- and sure enough, I did. Played a few games, including that dark, souped-up Ms. Pac-Man, and Strider. It confirmed once and for all that the 16-Bit era was, for me, not at all interesting.

So I just gave it back. Otherwise, it would just be taking up space, gathering dust.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Sonic The Hedgehog!

I jumped on the Sega Bandwagon a little late, I was just a kid then so sue me, but I remember playing the original Sonic The Hedgehog in a store kiosk and some people came up behind me and started watching me and started saying "wow, your good, you must play this a lot"...it was my first time

Anyways, a few months later I got my first Genesis at Toy Liquidators and it came with Sonic The Hedgehog! Then me and my dad went to the video rental store and rented Sonic The Hedgehog 2. We had fun that entire weekend! I loved it.

Too bad my dad was an alcoholic and my mom kicked him out shortly after that. I miss my dad.

sometimes nostalgia sucks.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in the mid 90s i was just a mere gamer and not a collector. i had a SNES and pretty much didnt see the need for a genesis. then one day in EB i saw a sega nomad and i had to have it! i was very unimpressed with the gameboy but this nomad seemed like the ultimate toy. so i saved up and went back only to find it was gone, they had stopped selling them! i looked for nearly a year until one day i was in the mini mall of the orlando airport, there it was, last one for $100, got it right there with pitfall and biohazard battle. i got up to about 20 games for it before i turned into a collecting idiot, now i'm at 300 or so, all of the hardware except a CDX.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got one for my birthday when I was 12. My birthday always came around tax-return time so it worked out great for me

Genesis, Sonic 1, and I was a happy camper for quite some time. Followed it up with Shining in the Darkness, Sword of Vermillion, and a host of other games kept me quite happy. I played a lot of Joe Montana Sports Talk Football for someone that hates sports games

the SNES may have my dear Final Fantasy series, but you can't deny the Shining series or Phantasy Star. I remember saving up to pay that hefty $99.99 price tag back in the day. OOF!

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    i looked for nearly a year until one day i was in the mini mall of the orlando airport, there it was, last one for $100, got it right there with pitfall and biohazard battle.
    Shame you couldn't find one for 30$ right when they were phasing them out of retail, but it must have been real nice to have that when the Nomads were relatively new all the same. Great game to start out with, that Biohazard Battle.

I first experienced the Genny in the form of Altered Beast at my grandmothers. She had an NES, SMS and Genesis which she played nearly every available RPG on at the time, which was early 1990. Unfortunately she never let me play any games on her machines for very long and that only made me want to try them out some more. Oh well, she's six feet under now and I have three of the darn things. I should dance on her grave while juggling them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I first started playing it at my grandpas house when i was about 5 or 6, i loved sonic1/2 and golden axe, and about a year later I got my own genesis system and played it like crazy, I had about 40 boxed games by the time I was 8 years old. I also had a colecovision at the time, which was my only other console before the genesis.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, since I started it I guess I'll add.

Since I first played the NES I was hooked. I was a Nintendo fanboy. Even though I had a Sega Master system it hardly got any playtime. I pretty much religiously read VG&CE, Game Players and had a subscription to Nintendo Power (to get the Legend of Zelda Tips and Tactics book).

The mags started showing images and having articles about this new game system Sega was working on. Called the "Mega Drive", the system was capable of bringing the "arcade action" home. Upon reading that I was skeptical and then I looked at the screen shots. My mouth literally dropped. From the time the system was announced I had followed its progression when I could. I wanted this system. Bad. I know my parents would buy it so I'd have to save up. Of course being a teenager with money it's hard to do the actual saving part.

It was the end of the summer of 1990. I had finished up my first "real" job of being a grounds keeper for a local resort. I had put in a LOT of time toward the end of the season getting the place ready for fall and winter and my check was pretty large, I wanna say about $350. I told my parents that I wanted to buy a Sega Genesis. I explained what it was, why I wanted it and why I *should* get it (basically working my ass off at this job). They agreed and allowed me to buy the system.

After I got my check cashed it was off to Prange Way in Plymouth. [Quick History to those not from Wisconsin: it was a chain of stores not unlike a K-mart owned by the H.C. Prange Company. The chain eventually closed sometime in the mid 90's.] I walked to the electronics department, waited for the clerk and had her ring up a Genesis and a Golden Axe cartridge. After some shopping my parents wanted to do we got home and I quick unboxed my prized and hooked it up to my 20" spasmatic TV (circuit board had a crack in it, I'd have to literally whack the side of the TV to get a picture back from time to time...I loved that TV with its classic woodgrain and digital tuning). I plugged in Golden Axe first, put on head phones and turned the power on. I was blown away. Awesome graphics mixed with great sound and a pretty comfy control pad made for great times.

I don't think my NES saw much action for some time EXCEPT when I got SMB 3. Even then I was on the Genny playing Joe Montana Football or Super Monaco GP (a rarity at the time, I didn't like sports), Forgotten Worlds, Phantasy Star II (still haven't beaten this game), Afterburner II, Shadow Dancer and many others.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought mine the week it came out. I loved Altered Beast. I saved my money for some time to be able to get it the first week. I bought it across the street from where I lived at the time. I remember think the graphics where so good. I still have the system and most of the games I bouhgt back then.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

did nomads ever get down to $30?!?!

heck i woulda gone for that, i got mine right as the saturn was coming out and i never saw one for less than $100 new.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Yeah, it was 1999 and KB Toys had them on clearance if I recall right. 100 bucks back when the Saturn was launched was not bad at all though.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nintendo was everywhere, and Sega's 8-bit masterpiece was being ignored by the masses. Undaunted, Sega went on to create the most powerfull home system of the day, eventually surpassing nintendo in popularity. I barely had enough money to buy games for my NES ($55 for Battletoads, yeesh!), but that one fatefull day Sega released Sonic the Hedgehog, with all it's glorious colors, awesome FM music, and futuristic console design, I became determined to own one.

Eventually I did, and I LOVED it. I loved it so much that I even bought the Sega CD at launch, and the 32X within a month of it's release. ...which of course, eventually left me a little sour on the video game industry, as at that point (late 1995) pretty much only side scrolling CRAP was being released, and thus my attentions turned to Sega's earlier, more humble days, where only the best arcadey 8-bit goodness was released.

Ah, the Master System, how I love thee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The REAL question was:

GENESIS VS. TURBOGRAFX-16 - WHICH ONE DID YOU BUY?

I'm sure a bunch of us remember the launch periods in that eventful year (1989?) It seemed the Turbografx and the Genesis were launched almost at the same time!

It made for some agony at the store while sitting there checking out both tasty newfangled and powerful consoles. On one counter we had the Genesis.. with Altered Beast so arcade perfect it seemed. Then on the other we had the Turbografx, with Keith Courage on demo play but with such sweet titles like Blazing Lazers right there at launch.

If I recall correctly they were both about 200 bucks. I chose Genesis and loved it. But I so wanted a TG-16 as well. And since I was a young, dumb and drunk college kid, I made up for it a week later by going back to the store and shoplifting a tg-16 system.

So, which did YOU choose?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my Genesis from my uncle for $50 in about 1991. He didn't want the Genesis anymore because the SNES was almost out and he wanted one of those instead. It was a great price back then, because they were retailing for at least $100 if I recall correctly. Like many other people Sonic the Hedgehog was my first game for the Genesis. It was also one of the first video games that I ever beat, however I had beat Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, and about 5 other NES games before it.

Shortly after getting the system I got Altered Beast, Golden Axe 2, Outrun, and Streets of Rage 2. I also remember getting Quackshot and Last Battle fairly early on. The Genesis was my main console (although it switched back and forth between Genny and NES) until 1996 when I got an N64. I never actually owned an SNES until much later. Even today the Genesis is probably my second favorite system of all time (behind the NES).
    View My Current Game Collection!! My Complete Collection Page!!

Seeking These NES Games!! Willing To Trade or Sell Some To Me? NES Games I Don't Have!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    The REAL question was:

GENESIS VS. TURBOGRAFX-16 - WHICH ONE DID YOU BUY?

I'm sure a bunch of us remember the launch periods in that eventful year (1989?) It seemed the Turbografx and the Genesis were launched almost at the same time!

It made for some agony at the store while sitting there checking out both tasty newfangled and powerful consoles. On one counter we had the Genesis.. with Altered Beast so arcade perfect it seemed. Then on the other we had the Turbografx, with Keith Courage on demo play but with such sweet titles like Blazing Lazers right there at launch.

If I recall correctly they were both about 200 bucks. I chose Genesis and loved it. But I so wanted a TG-16 as well. And since I was a young, dumb and drunk college kid, I made up for it a week later by going back to the store and shoplifting a tg-16 system.

So, which did YOU choose?
    I read about the TG-16 as well and saw the commercials but what I saw didn't really trip my trigger. The games weren't what I was looking for and even though it had pretty graphics it just looked like some average NES games playing expensive dress up. Also the TG-16 was NOT available in my county. None of the discounter stores had it and my family hardly ever went to the "big cities" like Milwaukee, Green Bay or Appleton. So Genesis, besides my built up hype, was really the only choice.

I DID buy a TG-16 in 1991 (pretty sure it was 1991). Park and Save, a fairly big grocery store chain, was one of the only stores that had a video department that took chances. Not only did they have NES and Genesis but they also had TG-16 games to rent. Eventually the store sold off its TG-16 stuff and a buddy of mine picked one up along with Military Madness and I think Blazing Lasers. My next door neighbor got to playing it and wanted one bad because he wanted to play Veigues (sp?) Tactical Gladiator after reading about it in a magazine. So he ordered his through Chips n' Bits when the "Buy a TG-16 get a game free" deal was going on. I think he was actually lucky and got V.T.G. I also jumped on the deal (I think the TG-16 was lowered to $150, I don't remember) and bought mine and got Ordyne as my free game. However after some play I wasn't very impressed and the system just sat and eventually I sold to an acquaintance of mine.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

My stepfather had a Genesis and Altered Beast, Afterburner II and Herzog Zwei. I'd watch him play and occasionally play mself. Grew to like Herzog Zwei more then my stepfather too.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

Nobody i knew wanted to touch the Genesis after the SMS.
    But my neighbors cousin came over and had AlteredBeast and Strider, Fricken wow! Instant hit. I bought mine in some odd trade with my old TRS80 soon after. Had it for about 6 months before i traded another kid at school for the tg-16.

I didn't get it back until a few years ago, not bad! I really did miss some great games.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I discovered the Genesis when I was about 8 or 9, when I went over to a friend's house who had one. It boggled my mine that there were three jump buttons in Sonic the Hedgehog.

I didn't really get my own until much later, probably 5 years or so. And when that one was fried, I bought another one and discovered the beauties of Wardner, and I haven't turned back since. G3|\|\|'/ 4 3\/3r!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well me..well my story is pathetic. I had just boughten a used NES and I STILL wanted more gaming goodness. So, I went to Funco, picked up a used Genesis 1, and I still had 2 dollars and no games. I picked up sonic the hedgehog. Wise choice. After stopping at the grocery store, I plugged it into my TV...and failed. The damn system didn't work?! Then when my next door neighbor came over, he showed me the problem....I DIDN'T HAVE THE CARTRIDGE IN ALL OF THE WAY!!!!! I was mad as hell, but when I played Sonic, it was beauty.
    Games I Am Playing: Animal Crossing, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Super Mario 64
    Movies I am Watching: The MR. Bill collection, Indiana Jones, Alien
    TV: X-Play