Thread: Why spine cards for Japan?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why spine cards for Japan?

I've noticed that DC, PC Engine, and Saturn games come with spine cards in Japan only, and I'm trying to figure out what the point is. That is, why add something that people will lose, throw away, etc just to add more information that you can put on the back insert or in the instruction manual?
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They use it for all of the CD-media that is released in Jewel case format, so DVDs and Music CDs also. They also sort of exist for books too, but they are made of a cheaper paper.

Spine cards have several functions: 1) To make it easier to find items on store shelves. 2) To allow the company to provide additional information about the product. 3) To allow the company to advertise and promote other products.

Having said that, I think that it all comes down to the Japanese and their fondness for overpackaging and making things look really pretty for the customer. Here's a page with some more info:

http://segaguild.netfirms.com/7F_Spine_Obi.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IntvGene
    They use it for all of the CD-media that is released in Jewel case format, so DVDs and Music CDs also. They also sort of exist for books too, but they are made of a cheaper paper.
    I have 25-year old Japanese LPs that have them too.
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, barcodes are printed on the spine card so they don't spoil the artwork on the back.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmmmm...there are hundreds of bar codes on older games, music, boks etc. under those spine cards if you poke around a lot. i have a couple of old film soundtracks and other japanese lps and a few books that came wrapped as well. also, not all pc-engine games had spine cards- many hucards were spineless, and you'll also see saturn and ps imports that come in some boxed sets are missing them as well. the key is more likely historical (pause for slight comic relief)

...i've heard/read it's possibly a cultural thing. look at all the well-wrapped things in japanese history. a good kimomo, freshly made sushi, the head of one of your enemies in a box full of salt (movie reference). why, spine cards are like sealing wax- you don't need to have 'em, but it makes whatever you're opening so much more special, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

most Hucards games don't have spinecards. In fact, only the ones with some kind of print on the back did. The numbered ones, that had the black case in the back with sticker didn't have them.

For the record:
    Books come with something that looks like a spinecard, but is actually called something else, which is very ironic, since the word for spinecard in Japanese ("obi" which means "belt") looks more like a belt on books, since it wraps around horizontally. Magazines and most small books that you read on the train don't. Graphic novels and picture books (or larger sized books in general) seem to come with this psuedo-spinecard.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The book obi are very annoying to preserve. :/ Have to take 'em off if you want to read the book, set them somewhere, and then put it back on when done. Bleh!

Minor, I know.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BenT
    The book obi are very annoying to preserve. :/ Have to take 'em off if you want to read the book, set them somewhere, and then put it back on when done. Bleh!

Minor, I know.
    lol- too true! i sometimes use them as bookmarks (if they'll fold flat without getting crunched)...