Thread: New member here looking for advice.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New member here looking for advice.

Hi, I started collecting not to long ago, heres roughly what I have gotten so far...

3 Regular NES Consoles
    1 Toploading NES
    about 20 games

1 Super Nintendo
    5 games

3 Sega Genesis
    60 differant titles (over 100 carts)

Sega Saturn
    10 Games

10 Sega CD games
    5 Sega 32X Games

2 Playstation
    21 Games

2 N64
    30 Games

7 Dreamcasts
    38 Games

That pretty much what I've got... I know, numbers arn't really what matters but just consider I dont really have any very rare games but they are not all crap. I've decided to set a goal to get every single offical US Dreamcast release. My queastion is, should I sell everything else (or most beside maybe one or two more to work on) and concentrate on just getting DC games or should I keep everything (maybe sell extra systems???) And, is the list on www.sega.com which says there are 248 titles accurate? (couple more if you add bleem.)

And also, here are a couple of auctions I bought resently I would like to know your opinions on how I did (don't be afraid to say I got ripped off!!!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:EOAB:US:6

Didn't properly specifly the top loading NES which I have seen easily go for over $70 Figure once I recieve (this sat or mon.) to sell the top loading NES with a couple of cheap games and keep the other NES and games as profit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=48752

I have plenty of Dreamcasts but I just couldn't pass this one up. I'm going to try resell with a couple of duplacates I've got hopefully make some cash. Shipping was only $5

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=31583

I know what everyone will think about this! I know, I know, sports games arn't worth anything, but I fugured it was a easy way to get 40 new genesis games and I could sell the dupes to friends.

This was on Yahoo and they dont let you view the auction after it closes. But here is what it was...

Genesis Version 3
    X-MEN, MS.PAC-MAN, STREET FIGHTER II, NBA ACTION 94, DISNEY'S ALADDIN, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 1, SONIC 2, SONIC 3 Most with cases and instructions.
    Total with shipping: $32.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4313

Thought this was a pretty good deal. Got shipping down to $15 Thoguht Could get a couple new games, sell the DC and games I already had and maybe come out a couple of games ahead.

Also, for dreamcast stuff, here how I've been bidding on things...

Console w/controller- $20
    Controllers and Memory Card - $2 each
    Games - $3 for most games $2 for really crappy ones, more for good ones

basically thats what I use as a starting point, thats prices with shipping.

One more thing!!! I've heard of people refering to a price guide on here, where can I get it?

Help would be much appreciated!!!!

Mike

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

It all depends on want your feelings are about everything in your collection. i don't see a problem with keeping all the games you currently have and keeping one of each unique system. you can use your extra consoles for trade bait to get the games you want for dc because i know theres always people here looking for an extra console or 2.

just think it over.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, I think I'll try keeping one of everything and all the games except duplacates. Should I sell and buy games or try trading??? And also, is there anything wrong with putting new 72 pin connectors in my 4 NES consoles (including a top loading one.) Does that make them any less collectable or valuable? Is it a good investment? Know of any good places to get them? There $10 on ebay and that would be a quick $40!

Mike

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My suggestions:

Keep each unique system, and trade/sell the others.
    Replace the NES's with 72-pin connectors, but only the toaster ones. I dont think that top loaders need them.
    You definitely have a great start, but i would suggest keeping all of your games, except your duplicates. Dont sell them off now, because you will most likely want to collect for that system later on.
    Try to get the hardest to find DC games first, so you can concentrate on the commons later.
    Check out the rarity lists for DC, and print the sucker up.
    Get the guide, which i think there is a link on the mainpage for it. It only covers 8-bit stuff, but it will help you for reselling nes games that youll find sooner or later.
    Definitely try trading and buying on these forums. It will help you tremendously.
    All of the ebay items i think you did fairly well.

The most important rule though is to have fun. Dont stress out about this hobby and dont set the goal that you have to get a complete set. Just have fun with it.
    Good luck!

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

go with balloon fight on this one, he said it a lot clearer than i did

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything. Its just something I like doing in my extra time or when I get stuck at home. I'm 15 right now and I live on a farm and alot of times on Sat. and Sun. (work days for me since my dad has a full time job) he usually doesn't need my help for very long but I cant go anywhere atleast until night so I like to do this during that time. Plus I have some time belore I go to bed every night. For that gude, do you have to buy it?

Mike

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Good start..the auctions werent that bad. Good deal on the top loading NES and regular NES. Hell, I didn't even NOTICE it until I stared at the picture trying to find it.

Well, off too a good start, and your at the best forum you can find for game collectors. Not hardcore now are ya? Stay a while, sit down, have a drink...that will change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1988_11
    Yea, I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything. Its just something I like doing in my extra time or when I get stuck at home. I'm 15 right now and I live on a farm and alot of times on Sat. and Sun. (work days for me since my dad has a full time job) he usually doesn't need my help for very long but I cant go anywhere atleast until night so I like to do this during that time. Plus I have some time belore I go to bed every night. For that gude, do you have to buy it?

Mike
    For the guide, click on the left side bar where it says Collector's Guide. It will bring you to a page where you can buy it for $25 USD.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983