Thread: StarCraft 64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default StarCraft 64

Is it the same as the computer game? Is it exactly the same?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: StarCraft 64

Quote Originally Posted by jgenotte
    Oooh! I can answer your second question without having played either game: No, of course it's not. It can't be. Now how much of the cuts were confined to music or video I can't say. I'm betting they took out some of the units or simplified their animations, though. Seeing how computers at the time StarCraft came out had more RAM than a N64 cartridge has storage space and all, you know.

Here's IGN's review:

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/153/153894p1.html

SC64 combines the storylines and elements from both StarCraft and the Brood War expansion set for the PC.
    Looks like a whole new game to me.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: StarCraft 64

Quote Originally Posted by jgenotte
    In essence, yes, and no....well, what you get with the N64 game is quite a feat to say the least. You get the standard missions found on the basic Starcraft PC game, and as a bonus, if you have an Expansion Pak, you also get the complete Brood War expansion....what a deal!....however, there are lots of cut scenes, most all of them, missing from the cartridge, who cares?...the missions are the same as those on the PC game.

Gameplay wise the game is identical, if you can become efficient enough with the Joypad controls of the N64, as opposed to a keyboard and mouse. I gained all my strategy tecniques from reading strategies contrived from players who were nothing less than pros at the PC version, and their techniques were spot on with the N64 version. You will notice a lower resolution of course, but the game does have a hi-res option for Expansion Pak owners, but its not super hi res like a monitor, but it is very nice. I love this game on N64, and you can battle a friend in a VS. match, which is always a blast, but the game's strong point is its enveloping story mode, with up to 6 different quests.

This will be one of the rarer N64 games in the future, and at times it's already been moody on its pricing...I've seen this thing sell for up to $90 on ebay complete...so if you can get one cheap, I'd do it, its definitely worth it, you'll get many many hours of enjoyment out of this one.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game is easily one of my top 10 games of all time. The game for N64 is a lot worse compared to the PC for the one main reason: No internet play/ split screen 2 player. The other dude already knows an attack is coming!
    I am extremely good at the PC version, but i just got board quick with the N64 one.
    I also found it hard to get used to the joystick.