Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Default Metal Slug X for ps1 reprinted!

That's right, the once sort-of-hard-to-find Metal Slug X for ps1 has had a new print run. I got a copy tonight at my local Gamestop for $19.99 new! It's available so far at Gamestop and Amazon.

You can't lose, a friend and I beat it tonight (yes, it's on the short side, but we used a helluva lot of continues :/) and it's a truly fantastic game! Who knows how long these will last, get it while the getting's good!

(sorry for the excessive excitement, I've just been searching for this game a LONG time outside of ebay with no results ).

Source: gamefaqs, gamestop

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the tip, already ordered, the game was on my must-buy-list.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I was wondering how a delisted title was constantly coming to my store new! Every week we sell the one copy of MSX and DDR:Konamix (which ALWAYS come in the same box) and every friday we get restocked w/ one of each, heh.

I'm so tempted to pick up the next MSX we get, but I keep thinking in the back of my head "Why not get the MVS version?".

The answer of course is that I need another $40 in order to get said MVS version, but oh well.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

ALRIGHT!!! I do really want this game on the PS1... maybe the original someday, but for now, it's an import. But this game rocks. And I was worried that it would become too hard to find, but this tidbit of news is a godsend! Oh, how this game does rock. MS2 on serious steroids. Arab soldiers. Human and dog mummies. Chinatown. Trains coming right for you. CHUDs. MARS PEOPLE!!!

Nuff said.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I just got Metal Slug 3 for the PS2. It's a Japanese import right now, but is still slated for a US release soon (SNK denies the rumors that the US release has been cancelled).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that's fine and dandy, but I think there are WAAAY too many games reprinted. It kills the resell market, and kind of puts a black-eye in collecting.

PS/PS2 games are definitely the most abused, although Sega REALLY pissed me off by putting out the "Dorikore" verison games, with absolutely NO differencein the package/GD-ROM with the exception of a sticker which is outside the shrink-wrap.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw a copy at a store by me...is it worth getting this game? I've never played any of the metal slugs...are they any good?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

About the whole "kills collecting" bit: I know some of you out there are violently anti-reprint, but if any game deserves to be more highly appreciated, it's Metal Slug. I can see where you're coming from, and I can appreciate that, but I'd consider myself a player first and a [small-time] collector second.

@Drexel, YES it's worth getting, it's a very fun game reminiscent of Contra (often labeled a "Contra clone," but it's much more). Imagine a Contra with better 2D graphics and a sense of humor and you've got the idea.

IGN gave it a 9.0 and Gamespot gave it a 8.2 for reference. It's good stuff.

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Metal Slug series is tons of fun. If you've never played it, you owe it to yourself to pick up MSX for the PS. It's hilarious, difficult, full of amazing animation, and a whole lot of fun. The only thing that saddens me about the PS version is that even though the animation stood up pretty good, the Neo-Geo version is still that much smoother, but it doesn't detract from the gameplay at all.

As for Metal Slug 3, it's still slated to come out Dec. 16th, and I'll be all over it. It's easily the biggest game in the series, and playing as a zombie and puking on soldiers is too much fun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

When we say "reprint," we mean a game indistinguishable from the original printing? (I gather that's the case from what I've read here, but I want to make sure...)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

MS3(import) is way better than msx, so i hope you all grab that asap.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Who cares about reprints if you care about the games market? It might not put more money in your pocket in the long run, but it does ensure that sleeper hits can continue to make money for the publisher / producer even if their hype-machine doesn't happen to astound the public in the month prior to release.

I'd rather have quality games continue to be available than have to believe in the hype companies put out (which about 75% of the time is usually just that - hype) and have to get a game right at release.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure about your neighborhood, but over here, you can usually buy the original prints in used shops pretty cheap... sometimes cheaper than the reprints are new.

There are VERY few cases -- usually only when Sony publishers Super Lite stuff... and even then there are 100's sitting on the shelves... block NEW GAMES from being in plane view.

To the credit of Sega -- most of the Dorikore stuff they reprtined were rare, and hard to find.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    Who cares about reprints if you care about the games market? It might not put more money in your pocket in the long run, but it does ensure that sleeper hits can continue to make money for the publisher / producer even if their hype-machine doesn't happen to astound the public in the month prior to release.
    I'm all for getting stuff cheaply and for companies making money...this game's getting a few years old, though, and I would rather they made some small change to the package (nothing in-your-face, like downgraded artwork or garish "Greatest Hits" type packaging) so collectors aren't getting the short end of the stick. I agree that it's important to keep the games in print, though, and I'd very much like to see some really older CD and even cartridge games reprinted (if again with some small change for the collectors).

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky
    MS3(import) is way better than msx, so i hope you all grab that asap.
    I'd love to, but I think $250 or so is too much for a PS2 game.

(Japanese PS2 $200 + MS3 $50 = $250)

With luck it finds its way over here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

True, but then you see the Sega Ages games.

I'm personally waiting to get a Japanese PS2 along with some games. I don't feel the Sega Ages titles will be released here in the US so I feel the reasons to shell out money for a US PS2 are outweighed by this.

Wonder if the PSX will be region free...or if any PS2 is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    True, but then you see the Sega Ages games.

I'm personally waiting to get a Japanese PS2 along with some games. I don't feel the Sega Ages titles will be released here in the US so I feel the reasons to shell out money for a US PS2 are outweighed by this.

Wonder if the PSX will be region free...or if any PS2 is?
    Well I hope the other ones are better than the Sega Ages Golden Axe. I played it at Joes's house at NJ Classic and it wasn't too hot. Joe had a couple of other ones too...Phantasy Star looked promising though.

I guess I'll give Metal Slug X a try...if everyone says its a good game then I guess 20 bucks isn't that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    I think that's fine and dandy, but I think there are WAAAY too many games reprinted. It kills the resell market, and kind of puts a black-eye in collecting.
    Agreed. Maybe I'm just selfish, but it pisses me off when the same game I hunted and paid $50 for 6 months ago is suddenly available for $20. Makes you think twice sometimes. Anywho, has it been posted here yet that "Xenogears" is being reprinted this winter? Among a few other Square titles which I've already forgotten.

Edit: Here's the link
    http://www.the-magicbox.com/game110403.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    Agreed. Maybe I'm just selfish, but it pisses me off when the same game I hunted and paid $50 for 6 months ago is suddenly available for $20. Makes you think twice sometimes. Anywho, has it been posted here yet that "Xenogears" is being reprinted this winter? Among a few other Square titles which I've already forgotten.

Edit: Here's the link
    http://www.the-magicbox.com/game110403.htm
    Sweet, I can finally play xenogears and I don't have to spend a fortune. But I think this is different they what is being talked about. These square re-releases will be in greatest hits packaging, while the metal slug X is regular. So the collector value will be lower for the Square games, yet the MSX will remain the same. And without repeating all that was said in previous posts, that is the stem of the outrage.

Also, unfortunately 99% of the time, the minute you find something you wanted for a long time and you buy it, you are going to find it cheaper in the near future. It never fails.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't bother; Xenogears is horible. </unpopular opinion>