Thread: Off topic, but important nonetheless...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Off topic, but important nonetheless...

I have recently had the problem of a pop-up window that looks like a normal "Windows type" window coming up every now and then referencing some "DestroyAds" software. Something to the effect of "If you don;t want to see these pop ups, get our software" type deal. My brother was getting it as well, and his girlfriend. At first, virus came to mind, but it wasn't that. And I have a good firewall (Zone Alarm) , so it can't be that. Well, what it is is really simple. There is a service that is used in Windows 2000 and XP called "Messenger". This is not MSN Messenger mind you, but a service that allows admins to send and receive messages across a network to each other. Well, these evil software sellers are taking advantage of this service and randomly spamming ads across various networks and they come to you in the form of a windows "pop-up". It does nothing harmful, but is annoying to say the least. To disable this "feature", go to start, then run and type "services.msc". Scroll down to "Messenger", right click on it, and click "properties". When you get there, first stop the service by clicking "Stop". Then hit the down arrow by "Start Up Type" and change it to disabled. This will stop these spamming bastards from using the service to sell their software that will do the same damn thing. As you can tell it just pisses me off. Oh well, hopefully I helped someone by posting this.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Off topic, but important nonetheless...

Quote Originally Posted by zektor
    I have recently had the problem of a pop-up window that looks like a normal "Windows type" window coming up every now and then referencing some "DestroyAds" software. Something to the effect of "If you don;t want to see these pop ups, get our software" type deal. My brother was getting it as well, and his girlfriend. At first, virus came to mind, but it wasn't that. And I have a good firewall (Zone Alarm) , so it can't be that. Well, what it is is really simple. There is a service that is used in Windows 2000 and XP called "Messenger". This is not MSN Messenger mind you, but a service that allows admins to send and receive messages across a network to each other. Well, these evil software sellers are taking advantage of this service and randomly spamming ads across various networks and they come to you in the form of a windows "pop-up". It does nothing harmful, but is annoying to say the least. To disable this "feature", go to start, then run and type "services.msc". Scroll down to "Messenger", right click on it, and click "properties". When you get there, first stop the service by clicking "Stop". Then hit the down arrow by "Start Up Type" and change it to disabled. This will stop these spamming bastards from using the service to sell their software that will do the same damn thing. As you can tell it just pisses me off. Oh well, hopefully I helped someone by posting this.
    Yes, if you don't turn that "service" off those ads will drive you insane and they're not stopped by any firewall.

Dave
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.