Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: digital press guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default digital press guide

this is a questions to all who have purchased the DP guide

i was wondering does the guide include a rarity list and if all the lists are basicaly complete (like the ones on the web page that say work in progress)

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

They're all complete, with the exclusing of some of the more exotic systems, like import Arcadia 2001 carts and Interton VC4000 games. All of the core systems are completely priced-and-rated.

Take a look at this page, there's a few pages sampled.

http://www.digitpress.com/dpg_plug.htm

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah. Everything you mentioned and more. Check out this page for sample pages from the Guide itself:

http://www.digitpress.com/dpg_plug.htm
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just buy it man. One of the best books you'll ever buy. Seriously.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Double Seriously w/ Jelly Beans.

now THAT'S serious.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

I quadruple-dog-dare you to buy it.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i gues i wasnt clear enough in my post OR im not getting some of the replies but 25$ is not a killer - ill go for it anyways i gues

thanks guys -- it seems you are all happy with it -- ill give it a try

ive been looking for something like that for quite sometime and finaly one day on something like the 100 soimething page listing ( on the web) i found this holy grail

only thing that bothers me is the inconsistancy in some of the listings for rarity ( on the sample pages ) with other websites that have rarity listings but i use this site as my guide anyways -- for being the most profesional looking and consicse

i will apoligize for my bad gramer and spelling for this and my future posts ( im notorious for not checking x_x )

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Rarity is always a fluctuating thing... I would hope you would find the values in the DP guide to be most accurate out there given the background, research and general level of competance all the section editors put into it

Certainly I've changed a few values in my 2 sections since #7 came out...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely try it out! I bought mine at CGE for $20. It has been the MOST read book/magazine i own. Perfect for reading on the crapper!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Balloon Fight
    Perfect for reading on the crapper!

Someone else has my idea I guess!

Danny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well i finaly got the book and boy was i disapointed

i gues i expected way too much or misread posts and descriptions

for onething i expected everything listed in there to have some sort of value instead of unknown ( someone led me to belive it was all complete)

for some reason i i thought that the descriptions of the systems would be more technical and historical instead of the writers opinon and experiences - like information on company, division, engineers, and reasons for design descisions ( something like [[becasue of the lackluster performance of the system the redisigned system was designed to be very lowcost (examples here) and for a lean manufacturing procces (examples here) - which leads to failure due to mechanical (ie thermal, materials, fastener,stiffener etc.) problems {{ example of what ive seen on the net is the reason there si no electonics in the odessey for background images was for reducing the cost of manufacture--something like that and that one of the prototypes (or pre-engineering prototype did have electronics for the backgrounds}} - even crap like if the final product met the original vision or concept of the engineers VS marketing-- i see information like that spread out over the internet and i was hoping this publication would either confirm it or say somthing else -- also market performance -- there was something i saw that made me think this is what was in the book

but mostof all the most disapointing thing was that there as no mention of the 16bit and up systems and games

regardless even if i knew all of my expectations for a book or manual such as this wouldntt be met, i unfortunatly still would have plunked down the 25 $ for it because there is notthing else i could find out there that even comes close

it is a very fine job and am happy to have it but i do think there is room for imporvement - i realy hope im not offending anyone becasue i can tell that it was a painstaking undertaking to create and that is not my goal for this post im just hoping mabey some of this stuff would be considered for future issues -- mabey there isint enough demand for such things or i totaly misunderstood what the book is about - from what i see its just a comprehensive list of pre-16bit video gameing --- ahh forget it enough venting the more i vent the more confusing and probbaly offensive it gets which is not the purpose - its just the aproach i would have taken if it was my project

::::im thinking i should just delete all this and just say its wonderful but im betting on calm temperments --- realy im happy with it - i know it dosent look it ::::

id just like to ask this -- did any one else expect what i did or is interested in that kind of information ?

EDIT:::: ok i did misread on of the other posts here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Well, the book that you have in your hands was published before the 16bit + project was really undertaken. I wasn't given the Game.com section until 6 or so months after the guide came out. I'm not sure how you would expect those systems in there, since the order form you use (http://www.digitpress.com/dpg_plug.htm) lists the systems included. For all these newer systems, sometimes it's too soon (N64, Saturn, PSX, GB) to gauge exactly where the rarities for these will go, so it's like a work in progress. Just as all the other systems are, but not as much so.

I think it's phenominal of Joe to bind this into one book, instead of having to go to a few dozen sites looking at rarity guides. It's also phenominal that all the editors can work together on this and produce something of that calibur for the community.

I love my guide, not only does it serve it's "purpose" as a rarity listing, but also as a listing that i can "check off" what I've got and don't have. It shows the battle scars- the pen marks, the coffee stains, the dog ears, and the rips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're kidding right?

well i finaly got the book and boy was i disapointed
    You're using the author's forums free of charge and then you bad mouth his work? Did you expect any of us to agree with you since many of us posted that the book is worthwhile?

i thought that the descriptions of the systems would be more technical and historical instead of the writers opinon and experiences - like information on company, division, engineers, and reasons for design descisions ( something like [[becasue of the lackluster performance of the system the redisigned system was designed to be very lowcost (examples here) and for a lean manufacturing procces (examples here) - which leads to failure due to mechanical (ie thermal, materials, fastener,stiffener etc.) problems {{ example of what ive seen on the net is the reason there si no electonics in the odessey for background images was for reducing the cost of manufacture--something like that and that one of the prototypes (or pre-engineering prototype did have electronics for the backgrounds}}
    So, basically you were expecting a book the size of the entire Encyclopedia Britannica for $25?

but mostof all the most disapointing thing was that there as no mention of the 16bit and up systems and games
    Umm... it lists exactly which systems are covered.

Also, could you please run spell check when you post and perhaps use at least a FEW punctuation marks?

Perhaps you should wait for his next book covering the 16 bit systems and then you can dislike that one as well.

D
    DP Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

man this is what i was not trying to do -- i wasnt trying to bad mouth the book -- you guys totaly misunderstood me -- yes i saw the list- i thought it was incomplete because of the other things listed on the web site

i said i was happy with it (in regards to what it was) - i also said even if i knew in advance what it was i would have still purchased it -i was just saying what i thought it was suposed to be and that i was wrong -- ahh im having a hard time explaining it

yes its good - ive even conviced my friend to get one the same day i got it
    sure i DO think it could be better - thats why i said what i said -- in an effort to spark some ideas

someone said that the book was written before the newer systems -- something like that - being that the newest version - version 7 was recently put together i thought that meant that each new version was a total update not just updating the same matertial

someone mentioned 25$ what difernce dose it make if its 5$ or 100$ its what ever the price they wanted to put on it - im not complaining about the price of the book - im not even complaining!!

someone said encyclopidia- yea if i could get one id pay what ever thats worth - mabey a colectors encylopidia isint a bad idea - you could put more information in each section break it into 3 or 4 volumes and people can choose them all or just the period or type(how ever its divided) they want

anyways i didnt realize this was one point of view land

i had a strong feeling it would rub people the wrong way

EDIT::: i didnt realise there was a spell check option secondly i warned in advance about my gramar-- no one needs to reply to this remark - i dont get why people have such a hard time reading bad grammer -- i understand what everyone tries to say even the ones trying to use a pocket translation manual -- i nor ne1 else i know has a problem -- mabey because we deal with somany foreigners and many people dont -- i dont know -- ever since people started complaining i have slowly begun to modify my typeing habbit on the internet- belive me each one i type gets better

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. Complaints about the Guide and complaints about the smaller meetings in another thread. And with only 12 posts to your name. You're endearing yourself to everybody here, aren't ya?

It's "Digital Press Land." What did you expect? We like it here and we like the Guide.

And yet you posted anyway, THEN acted surprised when people got defensive.

Dude, you need to work on your people skills. And quickly.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

for onething i expected everything listed in there to have some sort of value instead of unknown ( someone led me to belive it was all complete)
    Everything that was *released* does have a (ballpark) value. Stuff in the prototype and rumor mill sections don't because they are either one-of-a-kind's or rumors.
    from what i see its just a comprehensive list of pre-16bit video gameing
    That's *exactly* what it is and that is *exactly* what it claims to be. Come on guy, the systems covered are LISTED ON THE ORDER PAGE. If you expected it to have 16-bit systems, that is nobody's fault but your own.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman
    Wow. Complaints about the Guide and complaints about the smaller meetings in another thread. And with only 12 posts to your name. You're endearing yourself to everybody here, aren't ya?
    i dont understand what you mean

It's "Digital Press Land." What did you expect? We like it here and we like the Guide. [/quote]

yes its digital press land with an "open" forum not "one way street" forum ( unless i mised something somewhere ) -- i like it here and the guide too

And yet you posted anyway, THEN acted surprised when people got defensive.

Dude, you need to work on your people skills. And quickly.[/quote]

i was hoping for open minds -- i wasn't suprised -- and i didn't feel people got defensive since i wasn't attacking anybody -- i got defensive - trying to explain what i felt

i dont understand what you mean by working on my people skills -- was was trying to come accross as neutral and positive as i could - i was also trying to be helpful - {{this may bother you}} the only way i could see why people would be upset is if they have such a high opion of thier own perfection that an opion disagreeing with that upsets thier flow- even if there is no malice intended

you are just picking out the parts that bother you with out considering the whole thing -- if you look at it that way ofcourse you will be upset and offended - its like reading the middle of the sentences in a book - youll never get the whole story

look if you want to feel mighty then ban me ( i'm sure thats what you meant) im not acting in any way negative to anyone in either of the forums
    --in the other i just said what i was looking for and why i wasn't looking for the parties --- not bad mouthing anything ---- totaly neutral --- here in this forum i just expressed what i thought would be a good addition --- something positive --- sure i used the word disapointed --- becasue i was -- but thats not something negative --- is everyone totaly happy with everyone elses work --- no --- some even decide to bad mouth other peoples work -- i didn't and i don't even when i totaly don't like it - unless they work for me (thats the one and only place i would do that)

lastly - isint feedback what makes products better --- sure does in my field

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Morbis
    Everything that was *released* does have a (ballpark) value. Stuff in the prototype and rumor mill sections don't because they are either one-of-a-kind's or rumors.
    from what i see its just a comprehensive list of pre-16bit video gameing
    That's *exactly* what it is and that is *exactly* what it claims to be. Come on guy, the systems covered are LISTED ON THE ORDER PAGE. If you expected it to have 16-bit systems, that is nobody's fault but your own.

yes i totaly agree with you -- but thats not all i said -- i don't have the book with me at work but i was sure i saw the unknowns in other sections besides the rumor mill -- also from one of the first things i posted today i did say i did misread a post regarding that -- if it was yours then it was yours but i dont remember- sorry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Listen Google, can you PLEASE use some punctuation? It's very difficult to read your posts otherwise.

D
    DP Feedback

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just imagine how big the guide would be if we added in all that extra data AND 16 bit consoles x_x