Thread: Old Nintendo related Newsgroup posts circa 1989

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Old Nintendo related Newsgroup posts circa 1989

I got this link from an IGN board, posted it on the RetroGamingRadio forums and I thought I'd share it here:

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&l...9&as_maxy=1991

Basically it's all Nintendo related newsgroups postings from around 1989 forward, when the Genesis, NES, and TG-16 were duking it out and when the SNES was on the horizon. What's interesting, above and beyond the viewpoints from that time period, are how the posts were written. Proper grammar, punctuation and sentence structure were present in a lot of the posts I read. Actually kind of refreshing to see well thought out sentences as opposed to "hacker speak" and lots of abbreviations or acronyms.

Enjoy.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

WOW. This is exactly the reason I liked VG&CE so much. It's no surprise that better prose was the order of the day back then. Access to newsgroups was a lot more exclusive by the nature of the beast.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for putting the link up!! Interesting read, indeed. I noticed the difference in style, too, maybe newsgroups back then (in some of which I participated) attracted more adults than today. On the other hand, the changed style even influences us, with all this "..." and smiley faces and abbreviations. It's nice to see that the use of commas was still fashionable. SMILEY FACE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always have fun looking through old nintendo newsgroups from the early 90s. Especially when they talk about how much the new Snes Cd is going to rule, and how the Playstation is going to fail when people see the Ultra 64.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The newsgroups were pretty cool back then, you could have people from magazines or developers on there posting. Nowadays it's just mostly spam or flame wars.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for this "war" between the Genesis and the Super NES, I feel that there will be no clear cut winner as in the Sega Master System/NES war. Even if Nintendo fails to gain majority share in the US market, the Japanese market is probably more than enough to ensure the continuance of software in the US.
    Wow. What eerie insight from the past... Sure the SNES's market share in the US was better than expected, but that is a pretty dead on comment. IMO there was no real "clear" winner of the SNES/GEN war, particularly not in a global perspective.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for this "war" between the Genesis and the Super NES, I feel that there will be no clear cut winner as in the Sega Master System/NES war. Even if Nintendo fails to gain majority share in the US market, the Japanese market is probably more than enough to ensure the continuance of software in the US.
    Wow. What eerie insight from the past... Sure the SNES's market share in the US was better than expected, but that is a pretty dead on comment. IMO there was no real "clear" winner of the SNES/GEN war, particularly not in a global perspective.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

:edit. Ack sorry bout all these posts. The post wasn't going through.. so I hit submit several times. Please delete them admins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My son really enjoys playing with his Atari and Nintendo game systems, so
    last spring, a friend from Japan sent the latest hot game to him for his
    birthday. Even though it is from Nintendo, the cartridge doesn't fit his
    nintendo. Or his friends Sega.
    Oh the ignorance too.

I'm half tempted to try and email this guy 14 years later to tell him how get his Famicom to work.