Thread: Newbie question on MAME

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Newbie question on MAME

Not new to DP but I've seen/heard much on MAME, & w/ a new faster computer here, I thought I'd try it out. A few Qs:

How illegal is MAME? I dont get how you can have MAME, but not legally(?) play games?

Is it OK if I download each ROM I want to play, then delete or simply not keep that ROM? I'm told it's illegal to just download the ROM(s)!

Although I've heard the "if no one complains, it's OK" principle, I dont want to do ANYTHING illegal. But I dont understand how this concept can exist for no one to get enjoyment from it.

Please try to clear things up for me w/ serious, helpful replies, please...
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Newbie question on MAME

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    Not new to DP but I've seen/heard much on MAME, & w/ a new faster computer here, I thought I'd try it out. A few Qs:

How illegal is MAME? I dont get how you can have MAME, but not legally(?) play games?
    MAME is "freeware", the games aren't.

Is it OK if I download each ROM I want to play, then delete or simply not keep that ROM? I'm told it's illegal to just download the ROM(s)!
    To my knowledge, there are only three arcade games that are legal to download and run in the emulator: Gridlee, Poly-Play, and Robby Roto. The rest, technically, are not legal.

Although I've heard the "if no one complains, it's OK" principle, I dont want to do ANYTHING illegal. But I dont understand how this concept can exist for no one to get enjoyment from it.

If you don't want to deal with anything that is even technically illegal, your best be is to stay away from most emulation. The Vectrex stuff isn't illegal to use, nor are a number of homebrews, but most commercial projects are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't have explained it better myself. Thanks man!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Newbie question on MAME

Also, if you check the main page of the site you will see a link to a website where you can actually purchase roms legally! This is indeed great news for the emulation enthusiasts AND the original copyright holders. Here's that link again:

http://www.starroms.com

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't pay much attention to the legality of emulators. I just play whatever I want to play, lawyers be damned. However, if you've got more scruples than I do or just want to keep your ass covered, here's what you need to know...

* MAME is entirely legal.
    * The vast majority of ROMs are not.

Possible exceptions include homebrew games, hacks, and games by companies which have since went out of business. There aren't many arcade homebrews... I know of a Tetris clone designed with Vanguard hardware, and our own Raccoon Lad hacked Ms. Pac-Man, giving it a pet shop theme.

I think it's all right to emulate games by companies which are no longer in business, but I'm not sure. I do know that if another company acquires the rights to those games, it once again becomes illegal to play them on an emulator. Data East recently went belly up, and nobody has laid claim to their properties so far, so it should be all right to play Bad Dudes, Karnov's Revenge, and Sly Spy on MAME, at least for the time being.

Of course, it's worth mentioning that if you own the actual arcade hardware, you have the right to possess an archived copy of that game. A friend who used to own an arcade gave me the mainboard from a Kung Fu Master/Spartan X machine, so I'm legally entitled to play that game on MAME. The only problem with this is that there are thousands of games supported in MAME... if you wanted to play them all legally, you'd have to fill your garage and attic with arcade boards.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i suggest if you're worried about doing things illegal, just stay away from emulation. i mean, i like to follow the law but emulation is a totally different story, IMO.....not in the eyes of the law. if you have MAME and you have some stuff you want to play on it. play it, if you play it frequently.....more than your share of free gaming. then i think you should atleast make an attempt to save the funds for the real deal. atleast you will feel somewhat at ease in your mind that you made a striving attempt to get your hands on the real deal. i don't care who you are though, you break the law atleast every day for one reason or another. ever pull a tag out of your shirt because it makes you itch......off of a blanket....touch the centerline with your tire......forget to claim that $10 you made at a garage sale on your taxes?.......don't worry about it.....just don't publicize it(set your system with mame in a store and charge people to play it... ) it's funny but i know some idiot out there would think he found a pot of gold and do it........just my own views though.......