Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone actually collect PC games?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does anyone actually collect PC games?

I've been browsing through the local thrift stores lately, and there sure seems to be a lot of PC stuff lying around now. I've noticed that alot of it goes for almost nothing on Ebay too (besides the odd rare game).

So, does anyone here actually collect PC games? I mean, with boxes and disks and everything? Having 2 gigs of abandonware on your hard drive doesn't count either.

I know that there is a whole compatibility issue, and then there's a question over how long the data will last... where do I find a 5 and 1/4 inch drive, etc. I guess alot of the old stuff gets reprinted on CDs and in anniversary packs and stuff too.. But, does anyone still do it?

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope. No PC gaming for me.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, there are people who do it. I'm sure an old mint-condition Infocom game complete with all the "feelies" will fetch quite a price. (Trinity came with a sundial, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy came with a "Don't Panic!" button, authentic fluff, a microscopic spaceship fleet, and a few other things, etc.)

Some collector's packs, such as The Lost Adventures of Legend and the King's Quest collection, were also released in relatively small numbers and are highly desireable.

And then there are the other obscure adventure games: Alice: An Interactive Museum, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Gothic, The Cassandra Galleries, Discworld, The Neverhood, Congo: Descent into Zinj, and so on. All very hard to find, all worth a lot to the right people. I don't know if non-adventure games have quite the same following.
    ________
    BABE FRENCH
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Oh, there are people who do it. I'm sure an old mint-condition Infocom game complete with all the "feelies" will fetch quite a price. (Trinity came with a sundial, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy came with a "Don't Panic!" button, authentic fluff, a microscopic spaceship fleet, and a few other things, etc.)
    This stuff I would buy, and have bought for the C64 and/or Atari 8-bit, but I didn't consider it PC gaming in terms of the original question. I don't buy or play PC games - they're generally too advanced for my feeble brain and I have enough console stuff to keep me busy as it is. Super Monkey Ball: yes! Everquest: no!
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

If they're good games, I'll collect 'em. Some stuff really is rare, too, like the expansion pack to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri or the Neverhood game mentioned earlier. But all the doodads and other stuff that came with it...well if the game is really all that, then maybe, but the only game I feel that way about is Deus Ex.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no, i really don't collect pc games, there would be no end to this as millions have been released, especially here in germany where there is a huge shareware scene

i think the only pc games that get collected are adventures, cause there are hardly any new ones and the old ones are still the best...
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Does anyone actually collect PC games?

PC gaming has always seemed cheap--even when console games turn toward discs as well, they somehow feel better. More something. Though it helps that I really only pay attention to my favorite series, like Shinobi or Ninja Ryukenden, for example :P

I have a couple collection-quality PC titles, but I was reflecting on the cover art for some of my "golden age FPS" titles and it is laughably bad. Rise of the Triad's, in particular, really wasn't as good as I remember due to the rather big brushstrokes and lack of interesting detail. :(

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And then there are the other obscure adventure games: Alice: An Interactive Museum, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Gothic, The Cassandra Galleries, Discworld, The Neverhood, Congo: Descent into Zinj, and so on. All very hard to find, all worth a lot to the right people. I don't know if non-adventure games have quite the same following.
    I can see most of those being hard to find, but Gothic? That's quite a bit more recent than those other ones. Unless you're talking about the German version...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The funny thing is that a lot of the older games, especially the infocom and D&D titles, had actually really good artwork. Fooey at low budget FPS teams :P

Anyhow, I should start thinking about getting some old PC titles again. There's a fellow on eBay (last time I checked anyways) who had a bunch of sealed titles from the late 1980s and even earlier. Good stuff!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yes, I collect 80's early 90's PC gaming. There is some excellent stuff, as mentioned above, Infocom, also Star Saga 1 &2 are great, Lucasfilm/Arts games rank about the best in the world, Origin, Micropose, SSI, EA, there are endless classics on PC to be found.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Collect? No, but I will snag something if it's cheap and interesting enough. Recently I snagged a complete Pandora Directive, Return to Zork, and Zork: Nemesis for less than $10.

I'm kinda going through a PC game renaissance as I had to kick back to Windows 98 on my home PC as for some reason Win2K didn't want to reinstall. Good thing I didn't pay much for it-the OS came with an office PC I bought from a business selling its stuff.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

I don't collect PC games... I don't really like using a keyboard and mouse to play things.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Keyboard and mouse is the ONLY way to play FPS games, IMO. Even if one is proficient with the keypad the mouse just plain has better accuracy, I find...which is great for those head shots.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I don't collect PC games, I have a small collection of early to mid-90s PC games that I amassed a couple of years ago, under the delusion that I would actually play them.

I still occasionally suffer from this delusion, which is why I haven't cleaned a dozen or so games off my hard drive.

Re: FPS and keyboard/mouse. I am sure that the key/mouse combination leads to better accuracy when trying to pick up the head shot. However, I have come to the conclusion that this makes it too easy to hit things. If you were really running around some big crazy place while people were shooting giant guns at you, I'll bet it would be a lot more like frantically trying to get the !@#$ing thumbstick to center your shot than coolly positioning your mouse on the pad.

Keyboard/mouse control is a crutch. Real men use console controllers for FPS games.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I donīt collect PC games with the same entusiasm (i donīt know if i wrote this word ok), but, if i found a true "classic" or a game that bring me memories...i buy it. Ex: Maniac mansion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I used to prefer the PC version of Maniac Mansion (actually the C64 one has the best color) because it has far better graphics, but when I started playing the NES version I was like "hey, Dave's music is pretty cool."

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I don't actively collect PC games, but I do have a binder with about 400+ cds in it right next to me here Everything from DOS to Win XP, lots of those 1000 games on 1 disc things...I bought those like nobody's business back when I had Windows 95...I'm a little more selective now, since Win XP isn't as friendly to those kinds of discs.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect some PC stuff....very picky about it though. I'd buy a complete Wasteland or X-Com or Star Control for sure. But not EVERY PC title, only select ones and it depends on the format...I prefer 3.5 disks or CDs, not 5.25 disks.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trellisaze
    I can see most of those being hard to find, but Gothic? That's quite a bit more recent than those other ones. Unless you're talking about the German version...
    the german version of gothic is ****** easy to get if you've got a german contact, just ask me if u want it (i think i even have got it twice)
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, I collect mostly adventure games with a definite slant towards cheesy FMV. I tend to play most of them on this rather ancient computer (300mhz, Win 98) , but occasionally I need to boot up the 486 which sits beside it for those tempremental bastards which refuse to load NO MATTER WHAT. Windows XP compatability isn't an issue for me as..well, I don't actually own a computer that would comfortably run it.

Yoshi M - what kind of box did The Pandora Directive come in? Most importantly though - what do you think of Tex?