Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

Default quick 5200 question

I've never really played the system for more than 2 mins. I've never really seen any of the games it have to offer, or the difference between them and the 8-bit or 2600-7800(assuming graphics). Now i can see and just take a guess on what it's like how ir works, and so on. so I’m not looking for the obvious answers.

I want to know if why i should get one. I know why I have a coleco/intellivision/2600...and every other game system that i have, I can find at least one game or so that’s just that compelling to own it, play it whatnot. (same goes for why i will not own a jaguar) I'm more after the playability of the system, not to own every single cart. But what are the good points to having it. I know there is a top 20 or whatever....but does one game alone stick out enough to start another system? is it only available, looks better, plays better...than something else?

Just looking for someone to slap me and say Buy it....so I can continue going after buying one.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two Words: SPACE DUNGEON. Also, SPACE DUNGEON!

Also: Joust, Mario Bros., Jungle Hunt, Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus, Kangaroo, Vanguard...

Still not convinced? Then here're a few more words that will definitely convince you to buy the 5200:

Koffi Yellow Kopter
    Adventure II
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown... (Woodstock, IL)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It also has probably the best home versions of Wizard of Wor, Blueprint, and possibly Dreadnaught factor and Qix.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
    Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper II?
    View my collection here:
    http://users.ign.com/collection/markm2112
    http://www.gamespot.com/user/collect...user=MarkM2112

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't have (or plan on getting) an 8-bit Atari computer, then Star Raider is another reason to pick up a 5200. It's even a bit better than the 8-bit computer version, because the 5200 version takes advantage of the analog control.

Star Raider RULES.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    Also: Joust, Mario Bros., Jungle Hunt, Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus, Kangaroo, Vanguard
    I should point out that Ballblazer is also available for the 7800, that I never liked the fact that you can't move diagonally in 5200 Vanguard, and that my thumb gets tired too fast playing Joust with a standard 5200 controller.

But I dig the 5200 nevertheless, especially for Qix and Wizard of Wor. Joust looks excellent and plays well, and Mario Bros. is also great. Ballblazer, of course, is classic. And the Defender port is quite excellent, second only to the Digital Eclipse Playstation emulation on the Williams Collection disc (of the versions I've played).

I like Frisky Tom, too.

And Pengo! Friggin' Pengo! I don't even know of any other home translation of the game (well, Gamefaqs just told me it also came out for the 2600, C64, Gamegear, and Genesis, but still...). I loved to dump quarters into Pengo in the arcade. The arcade had a vertical screen, but that seems to be the only change I can remember between the arcade and 5200 versions.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    And Pengo! Friggin' Pengo! I don't even know of any other home translation of the game (well, Gamefaqs just told me it also came out for the 2600, C64, Gamegear, and Genesis, but still...). I loved to dump quarters into Pengo in the arcade. The arcade had a vertical screen, but that seems to be the only change I can remember between the arcade and 5200 versions.
    You know, I'm thinking about getting an Atari 5200 just so i can play Pengo, since it's one of my favorite games from the pre-crash era. Then again, the Genesis version might be better. Anyone care to confirm that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Don't forget Montezuma's Revenge. Great game.

I regard my 5200 as one of the shinier jewels in my collection. You've probably heard the horror stories about the controllers and they're all true. But if you are willing to become proficient at maintaining them then you will be rewarded with some outstanding gaming for your troubles.

And if it is gameplay you're most after, skip the cart hunting and get in touch with DP's good friend Sean Kelly so's he can hook you up with a multicart. It is a must have for all 5200 fans.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 5200 is really the homebrew machine right now. Sure, there are loads of 2600 homebrews, but the 5200 gives homebrew programmers more of a chance to strut their funky stuff. Someone has already pointed out Koffi, and that's a damned good example.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

well i'm sold, plan on it in my hands by next week.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.