Thread: Retro gaming: it's growing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Retro gaming: it's growing

Just figured I'd share two experiences showing that retro gaming is definitely not some fad (though I know most everyone here would agree with me anyway).

About two weeks ago I stopped in at a Checker auto parts store to get glue to reattach my rearview mirror in my van. I was wearing my "Know Your Roots" NES shirt at the time. Walked up to the counter and the gal smiled when she saw my shirt.

"Oh! I just got a Nintendo off of eBay! I love those games!"

Cool.

Move onto last Saturday. Stopped in at EB to check out some stuff and was looking through the SNES games. Gal walked up next to me and asked if the games were for the regular Nintendo, pointing to the NES carts next to the SNES section. I said yes and she began to dig through, picking out games like Wheel of Fortune and Donkey Kong Classic. She said she was scouring the area for a NES and she finally found one in the paper (she doesn't have a computer) and the guy said many people sell their stuff online. So with that she happily took her stack of games to the counter and paid even though some of the titles were a little on the high side.

That's pretty cool-people actually going out of their way to find and get classic hardware from their youth. And not just to collect, but to PLAY.

Now another little tid bit- it looks as though American arcades are on the path to past glory. The Aladdin's Castle in town has been the worst arcade to get new machines since the early to mid 90's. Any "new" games were usually 2 or 3 years old already and usually other Aladdin's Castles got the newer stuff than this backwater place. Anyway I walked in yesterday and saw a couple brand new (as in 2003) games. One was a gun game whose name I can't recall and I think it centered around the Army. The other new game was a beat-em-up called Demolition Fist by Sammy. The best way to describe this is that it's a 3D version of Final Fight. Pick from 4 characters of different looks and abilities then have at it against various gang members. You walk about, smacking bad guys (whose difficulty is indicated by their clothing color-yep it's palette swapping all over again) and picking up power ups and weapons (crates, motorcycles, cars, knives) to attack or throw at your opponents. It's a 2 player simultanious game with three buttons to use : Guard, Attack and Jump. Press all three and you do knockback damage to everyone around you. When your combat meter (from beating up enemies) is full, you can unleash a flurry of powerful attacks by also hitting all three buttons.

It has about the same pace as Final Fight, but it's just as fun. There are some oddball characters like these big bloated Tele Tubby looking baby-people that wear teddy bear backbacks, do butt-bump attacks, and spew green vapor at you and a boss that uses a big motor on his back (that he pull starts) to unleash attacks. The machine itself is cute: short (need to sit on a stool to actually play), colored white and red with the coin slot on the control console.

While this is not a sign that arcades are on a comeback but when THIS Castle gets recent games one can relate it to Hell freezing over. Still, it's good to see a game that goes back to basics and not be another gun/driving/redemption machine.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great post. It's my impression too that retro-gaming is getting more popular, and probably will get more popular in the future.

1) It's a reaction to current games which became bigger and overly complicated. The attraction of older games is their simplicity (2 button controls, graphics) and the appeal of basic gameplay. This means that you can slide in a cart for about 30 minutes without having trouble getting into complicated control issues. This appeal goes for new younger gamers and older gamers as well.

2) It's a recapturing of your youth for older gamers, and in stark contrast to your first beloved game experiences as a kid the older gamers can afford the games now; no begging anymore 'mom, can I have this game?'

3) It's a powerful love relationship. Love is always to a good part memories, and what is more powerful than memeories of your youth when you experienced safety and warmth - something you never will have in your life in this form again?

4) With more success of videogames comes the curiosity about their roots; additionally, it comes with a powerful mythology build-up about the beginnings, from game development firms, individual developers to magazines. In retrospect we are usually less critical of games than we were when they were new.

Retro-gaming is appealing for old and young, therefore I think too that it will become more widespread in the future. That's good news.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree, the retro gaming is taking off, but so are the prices :/ .. This makes me mad, finding Atari 2600 carts used to be 50cents in this area, now are $2 each. NES carts which used to be $1 a pop are now $4-5 each. I'm talking the flea market scale. This makes me mad, I know the economy is bad but COME ON! I could get twice as many games 2 years ago as I could now... Sigh.. Oh well..
    #vbender

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Don't forget all the remakes or ports of NES/SNES games to the GBA and Atari and Intelivision games to the PSX/PS2. Those collections or souped up games sell quite well.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grandamchandler
    I agree, the retro gaming is taking off, but so are the prices :/ .. This makes me mad, finding Atari 2600 carts used to be 50cents in this area, now are $2 each. NES carts which used to be $1 a pop are now $4-5 each. I'm talking the flea market scale. This makes me mad, I know the economy is bad but COME ON! I could get twice as many games 2 years ago as I could now... Sigh.. Oh well..
    You know, I never saw NES games go for that cheap individually. The cheapest overall was $2 at Goodwill or SA. Garage sales ranged from $3 to $5 when I saw NES games (usually SNES or Genny sports games). I do agree about the Atari 2600 carts, though. .25 to .75 a pop. Usually go for $1 to $1.50 at the Goodwills which is pretty okay to me.

However, I haven't been to a flea market since like '82 so I have no idea what things were like in the video game department.