So i was all set to get a PS5 after the slim down. i was going to get a disc version because of well, reasons that should be obvious to most any one on this message board how ever i found it strange when leaked pictures of boxes show that internet is required to register the detachable disc drive on the version that comes with it.

Why?

Is it not 2023?

I thought we had figured out that letting people service their own stuff and not keybonding drives and consoles together was a better thing for everyone. Is this not the case any more or is it 2003 again?
If its 2003 again i need to go warn my self not to do things and buy some bitcoin and other stocks before its too late.
I was all set to run down and grab one when i saw one but i am now thinking no. This will be a problem when it comes time to repair. not a IF but a WHEN it needs to be repaired. Sure that might be 20 years from now but again most people on here should understand that people keep consoles a looonnngg ass time some times. I still have my childhood systems, and systems older than me.

I think until then i'll just stick with what i got or until they reverse course as this will be a right to repair issue and its wholly un needed in this day and age.

does any one see a reason for this other than to be ass holes wanting more monies?