Thread: I'm thinking of downgrading from PLaystation 5 to Playstation 3 - I would like to ask for advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    This is a general issue I have with modern games and consoles. I don't want consoles to have the same compatibility issues as PCs. I want a console so I know that games will just play properly without various compatibility or hardware issues, they should be designed to run well on the hardware they're intended to be run on, and they shouldn't require patches either. I just want less headaches compared to using a PC.
    I completely agree here. On the eight generation of games, Switch included, it's actually worth owning the PS4 and Switch because there are so many great games. PS4 at least, Switch for anything that's exclusive and you'll still get 20-30 great games.

The only reason to own the PS5 is to make the rare PS4 game that can play better do so, and for that I do like the console, but I actually think that the ninth generation of games is the worst generation in gaming. There are very few AAA development studios in existence now days so your options of AAA games are extremely limited year over year compared to every other generation prior. Games are now developed as a catch all where the developers pretty much try to make the biggest net to get everyone they can and unfortunately, that's not going to be a great game for anyone who hates a lot of the modern conventions now days. Last generation indie developers were also more abundant, but it really seems there are very few shining examples of indie games now days in comparison to the previous generation so even the AA and indie studios can't really fill the gaping holes.

At this time, I'd say the current generation is even worse than the third and fourth. Not to say that the third and fourth were bad, for their time they were great, it's just that gaming exploded in the fifth generation and the more powerful hardware made games that weren't even conceivable during those generations of games, on top of the quality of games becoming substantially better. While this generation may pass up the third and fourth by its close, I can guarantee that this generation will never exceed every other generation to come after.

After this generation comes to a close, I'm going to focus on all classic consoles as well as PS3, PS4, and PSP games that I've missed purchasing. I don't do much emulation(really I don't do any emulation,) but maybe I should start. I don't play the classic games I own as often as I'd like to because most of them are in boxes and I still haven't put up yet. There's the fact that playing games digitally comes with an extreme convenience so maybe I'll just download all the games and emulate them all, the ones I find that I really like purchase those ones if I don't yet own them.

I've just been wasting too much money lately on games that, many of the last few that I've played at the very least, I really find no enjoyment in playing. Or very little. Either I'm not really enjoying gaming as much as I used to which I think is slightly the case, but more so think it's because the games now are just bad. I've been really enjoying playing through Theatrhythm Final Bar Line to the point that I'm near a platinum, then Tactics Ogre Reborn, a 10/10 imo in the past few months completed everything on the main game on a new save file and only have the side content left to do. Baldur's Gate 3 and Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth are my two most anticipated games, so there's still games out there, but I've recently just played game after game that I've hated(AAA and indie games both.)

*edit*

I am a huge Armored Core fan but I'm still pretty cheap as well, so haven't purchased Armored Core 6 as well. I was still at that point that I bought so many games that I felt that I'll just wait until everything drops in price. Buying games that "interested me" at lower cost rather than buying the games that I truly wanted at $60. Between purchasing far fewer games than I have, I'm just going to start buying games I really want when I'm ready to play them. Armored Core 6 released such a long time ago the price is bound to drop at some point soon so I'm not going to buy that one until the price drop, but when FF7 Rebirth and Baldur's Gate 3(NTSC) get their physical release I'll buy them day one.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-23-2023 at 12:53 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.