Thread: A nice calm from the Gameboy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default A nice calm from the Gameboy

I'm finding after getting a GBC a few weeks back that there still is a Nintendo cartridge based system out there where you can feel fairly well at peace and be calm finding fun stuff to play if you stay more or less out of the paper game. I had no intention other than using one as a desktoy but I've been finding lots of stuff in the $1-6 range (a few up to $10) that is a good mix of stuff I once owned years ago and stuff new to try out I learned should be good. It's nice being able to still find old games and not have to worry about getting shived by a scalper in the wallet.

Anyone else here do much with the old GB/GBC stuff? I've been watching sales lists on here and racketboy and I rarely see a thing ever pop up, and I do recall never seeing good supply even over at NA too in the past. It kind of makes me wonder if people just don't care much anymore or if it fell under the radar and hopefully will stay there. Today I brought home DK, Space Invaders, TMNT 2 and W&W X Fortress of Fear all in very nice shape and last night I scored on dumb luck a $14 copy of Zelda Link's Awakening DX on ebay that has already shipped out too. I'm looking forward into digging into those. I do know I'm going to try and find that old Nintendo guide for the original Link's Awakening to use along side it.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

the original pokemon games are super-fun (red/blue). Im not much of a fan of the series otherwise, but the first 2 are just awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Same here. I've tried for years but I just can't take it. I had red back when it came out and it was fun, did it up to where you get that strong TM item and stopped as I got tired. I happened to get into the cartoon doing that in the mornings as I ate before school, so I ended up buying Yellow. All the added fluff of the idiots of Team Rocket, some other conversions and starting out with Pikachu +1 that one I actually finished, far better with the little refinements and the only time I ever finished one. I'm strongly considering getting it despite the fact I have the GBA version of Red which is awesome. I've tried it again heartsilver (ds) and Y (3ds) since and I get overwhelmed with all the bs and get bored since I feel like i make no progress since they're just so bloated.

If this thread and it would be cool if it did evolve into a favorites list I've got some good understated gems I could post.

I'm just happy finding something I can enjoy again in old games and not want to get in someones face about being awful about it as it's thankfully just not being abused. I just finished cleaning up those four games and I'm going to go break out the GBC right now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Played through most of the good stuff (original GB) on a GBA SP with a flash cart a few years ago. Money well spent.
    Unfortunately I somehow lost the GBA in a move recently. I still have an original GB and ~25 games for it but find it hard to go back to playing on it.

The recent threads here and on racketboy awoke some good memories from that time and I've now put together a big list of "new" games to play. Probably going to focus more on the GBC this time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Same here. I've tried for years but I just can't take it. I had red back when it came out and it was fun, did it up to where you get that strong TM item and stopped as I got tired. I happened to get into the cartoon doing that in the mornings as I ate before school, so I ended up buying Yellow. All the added fluff of the idiots of Team Rocket, some other conversions and starting out with Pikachu +1 that one I actually finished, far better with the little refinements and the only time I ever finished one. I'm strongly considering getting it despite the fact I have the GBA version of Red which is awesome. I've tried it again heartsilver (ds) and Y (3ds) since and I get overwhelmed with all the bs and get bored since I feel like i make no progress since they're just so bloated.
    One man's bloat is another man's depth, I guess. I felt like the plot of Platinum was just as epic as any Final Fantasy game I've played and the fifth gen only improved on that.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I like my old Nintendo Power Game Boy Player's Guide, which is basically its version of the NES Atlas. Full of those awesome old pasted together screenshot maps. I picked up a spare for a buddy of mine that was a little worn for $2 the other day. I only really love a handful of GB games like Gargoyle's Quest, Milon's Secret Castle, and Metroid II, but sometimes I think about really digging to see what I can scrounge up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Alianger kind of was starting to feel that way too but I was intentionally not going to play along as I let it all go like 5 years back, but when I got this GBC weeks ago adult only like brand new I wanted it for desk toy purposes and clearly that has backfired as I'm around 30 games into it with what's in the mail currently mostly coming from Japan at the moment. I guess the up side is they're all damned cheap $14 (Zelda DX by sheer luck) the most I've paid, many have been in the $3-6 range. I'll piddle with it, it's a distraction though as I was supposed to be trying to clear out some 3DS stuff I've got sitting around and still need to open xenoblade.

retro: I wouldn't go as far as bloat, just overwhelmed. I mean I do prefer FireRed over Red and it has more bloat to it. My problem is you need to get so many of the things at the minimum and then up until the 3DS you never really could level up stuff as a group so it was just a grinding pain in the ass moving the game along is all so I'd lose interest. I just really didn't have time to invest in Y on 3dS but I really liked it up there with Yellow and FireRed most definitely. Casualty of a three year old being around and me too busy/tired to care when it's later on.

celery: I miss that guide I really should buy it again as I still have the Atlas and Top Secret still. Tempted to snap up the more useless than not Super Gameboy guide (and cart) too, even if it is redundant it would be cool on the Retron5 as some of my games have really good SGB use with color and audio.

I'll say this as a general notice, if someone sees a cheap good price (20-30USD shipped) for the UK Konami GB Collection Volumes 1-4 I want em, cash or trade. I refuse to buy all those little carts in black and white individually, space waster, plus I want to do Goemon, Parodius, Twinbee, and stuff in english. Also any idea how to happen across Castlevania Legends where scalpers don't get this warped sense the game is rare and worth $60 because if I can't find it at half that it's not happening nor am I going to get worked up over it as the 2nd castlevania was the best.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I do know I'm going to try and find that old Nintendo guide for the original Link's Awakening to use along side it.
    Might be difficult. I hear that is one of the rarer Nintendo guides. (I think I mentioned it somewhere else, but I think it might have only been available direct from Nintendo Power.)
    I've heard some say Super Mario All-Stars is a HTF (though I know that one was in stores). There does seem to be a rising scalper market for those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There is, the guides maybe 2 years back were all pretty cheap, barely if any premium over other period era guides of the SNES/GB stuff. Since then though anything that happens to be first party, and the front cover has that re-used font and rectangular box with the games name on it has disgustingly shot up. You'll be looking 30+ depending on the game if the franchise is one of theirs (or others) AAA stuff. Things like Zelda, Mario Allstars, Chrono Trigger, FF3, Mario RPG, stuff like that but the second tier stuff like Yoshis Island and the DKC guides are still relatively cheap.

I have that allstars one, zelda on 64 and snes, ct, ff3....annoyingly I do lack mario rpg. I do have the worst of the lot in excellent shape -- earthbound. I don't keep paper much anymore, but for certain guides due to my lack of time to really dig into stuff anymore I do as they're invaluable so I don't let the fact I could make a few hundred in flipping thin magazines phase me.