Thread: Anyone here use HDTV's versus CRT's for classic consoles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am now just having trouble determining what cables to get to hook up the xrgb mini to my tv via HDMI. I live in the U.S.

I think I need a SCART cable to hook up the modded for RGB SNES to the XRGB but the connector on the SCART cable does not appear to match the RGB input on the XRGB-Mini so I am not sure what else I need.

What about just getting this?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Super-Nintend...-/201087125244

Would this be the only cable that I need to hook it up to the XRGB and then plug the XRGB into my TV via a HDMI cable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

XRGB includes a Japanese adapter when bought new. If you want to use European cables, that's sold separately.
    In short Japan adapted the physical SCART socket with a new pinout and name.

Right that cable is NTSC at the console end, Japanese at the SCART end. It should work using an original XRGB adapter on USA SNES.
    Lum fan.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Many high end receivers/amplifiers boast video upscaling. I just bought a house, and hooked up a 65' Plasma on the Wall, with a Denon AVR-X4000. The sound is absolutely amazing, but supposedly their video processor will upscale things similar to an XRGB.... At least if you believe their press release hype. I'm going to test it the next week or so and see how it looks. I'm curious....

I've pretty much gone all emulator nowadays for the classic systems, as it's just the best and most convenient way to play older games. Especially if you have a nice HTPC setup. However, I think there's a certain fun factor of having people over, and popping in an old NES(or whatever) and just playing things with old controllers, old system, etc.. That just can't be matched with emulation.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A Retron 5 system would look great on that HDTV. Will not solve your Atari 2600, or TG-16 issues , but it would go a long way.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been playing nearly everything on my 42" 1080 Panasonic plasma, but that's because I spend the money earlier this year getting an analog RGB-YUV converter and cables/mods for all/most of my consoles. Of the four you've listed, this isn't the best option though. Maybe there's a good converter out there that works on composite signals though.

The only gripe I have, and it's a small one, is that my tv doesn't like a 240p signal (unless it's from Sega, for some reason) so I get a few lines of curling at the top of my screen. This is because I'm not using a digital upscaler (price in my case, but others would argue lag) so the feed in is the original 240 signal.

Still can't figure out why it doesn't happen with the Genesis and SMS though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    A Retron 5 system would look great on that HDTV. Will not solve your Atari 2600, or TG-16 issues , but it would go a long way.
    I can attest to that on my 29" LED I have. The clarity, response, the audio, just all of it is crazy good. And check those 2.0betas out the last couple weeks, the features being added for the official 2.0 shortly is nuts. Even the handheld games from the Gameboy family are good solid experiences as well that trumps the official GB Player big time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    The solution there is the Ouya. Now that I finally own one, I can say that the Retron5 does a great job most of the time, but the OUya does everything the Retron5 does and in most regards, surpasses it. The Ouya also does far more than the Retron5 with emulation of 2600, C64, PS1, Sega CD, TG-16, CD, Neo-Geo, NGPC and others.

And Ouya's library of android games some of which are absolutely amazing.

If you've got a limited space set up, there's no greater argument for the Ouya. Unlike the rather large Retron5, the Ouya is literally the size of a rubix cube and therefore can be put almost anywhere.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    The solution there is the Ouya. Now that I finally own one, I can say that the Retron5 does a great job most of the time, but the OUya does everything the Retron5 does and in most regards, surpasses it. The Ouya also does far more than the Retron5 with emulation of 2600, C64, PS1, Sega CD, TG-16, CD, Neo-Geo, NGPC and others.

And Ouya's library of android games some of which are absolutely amazing.

If you've got a limited space set up, there's no greater argument for the Ouya. Unlike the rather large Retron5, the Ouya is literally the size of a rubix cube and therefore can be put almost anywhere.
    Certainly true. I just am attached to the physical cartridges with the Retron. Even though the Retron 5 uses emulation it has a more authentic 'console' feel to it as opposed to the Ouya. Ouya is d great option for sure though.

If you went the Ouya route might go even farther and just attach a laptop/PC, add the Hysperspin front-end and have even more options, maybe a little less convenient than the Ouya though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

that's kind of my argument. See I have this nice Nexus 7 which is small enough as is, and I have a cable with it so I can just run it through the TV like the Ouya, and then I have a Moga pro for a controller. It negated any useful value of the Ouya so I ditched my interest in it. Either one will due to android introduce some level of slight lag with input especially on emulated old games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm realy not crazy about the next gen systems' jump to HD tv's. I really don't care if my PS4 games are in 1080p, I just wanna play my games. And I found it annoying that I had to buy a small HD tv just to play it, while everything else works on my CRT. There's just no justice for those of us who own 15 consoles that they wanna hook up at once. Am I asking for too much?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well the thing is, luddites just aren't going to win. CRT is dead and it's time to move along. I find it more odd you feel that CRT looks better. I'm curious what mental process goes into sitting a 20" CRT and a 20" LCD side by side and feeling the soft fuzzy/blurry quality of 480p and under has a more appealing look.