Thread: Anyone here use HDTV's versus CRT's for classic consoles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Genesis is YPbPr (component) modded, hooked it into my 720p Samsung plasma and 1080p Samsung, both looked like ass - very saturated and off colors. Too low res. I've seen a NES through composite, so it's possible. I said "eff it" and got a cheap CRT with RCA, s-vid and component inputs.
    If space is an issue, and you have enough money, then the XRGB is the answer, or the RetroN5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I mainly only use a HDTV, I see almost no value in the CRT anymore because the TV I bought I researched so there wouldn't be an input lag issue. The remaining effect is that first gen of 3D systems (N64 etc) have problems displaying on an off the shelf LCD TV due to tricks the systems used CRTs do to handle some effects and display which the newer can't so things get broken or at worst invisible(just black on black.) With that I still have my sharp NES tv, so the N64 is plugged into it. CRTs are just huge, heavy, the visual quality isn't all that fantastic, even on a higher end non-HD CRT so I see no use for it other than for one console I own and really don't even use.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I mainly only use a HDTV, I see almost no value in the CRT anymore because the TV I bought I researched so there wouldn't be an input lag issue. The remaining effect is that first gen of 3D systems (N64 etc) have problems displaying on an off the shelf LCD TV due to tricks the systems used CRTs do to handle some effects and display which the newer can't so things get broken or at worst invisible(just black on black.) With that I still have my sharp NES tv, so the N64 is plugged into it. CRTs are just huge, heavy, the visual quality isn't all that fantastic, even on a higher end non-HD CRT so I see no use for it other than for one console I own and really don't even use.
    Ditto

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am now just having trouble determining what cables to get to hook up the xrgb mini to my tv via HDMI. I live in the U.S.

I think I need a SCART cable to hook up the modded for RGB SNES to the XRGB but the connector on the SCART cable does not appear to match the RGB input on the XRGB-Mini so I am not sure what else I need.

What about just getting this?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Super-Nintend...-/201087125244

Would this be the only cable that I need to hook it up to the XRGB and then plug the XRGB into my TV via a HDMI cable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

XRGB includes a Japanese adapter when bought new. If you want to use European cables, that's sold separately.
    In short Japan adapted the physical SCART socket with a new pinout and name.

Right that cable is NTSC at the console end, Japanese at the SCART end. It should work using an original XRGB adapter on USA SNES.
    Lum fan.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Many high end receivers/amplifiers boast video upscaling. I just bought a house, and hooked up a 65' Plasma on the Wall, with a Denon AVR-X4000. The sound is absolutely amazing, but supposedly their video processor will upscale things similar to an XRGB.... At least if you believe their press release hype. I'm going to test it the next week or so and see how it looks. I'm curious....

I've pretty much gone all emulator nowadays for the classic systems, as it's just the best and most convenient way to play older games. Especially if you have a nice HTPC setup. However, I think there's a certain fun factor of having people over, and popping in an old NES(or whatever) and just playing things with old controllers, old system, etc.. That just can't be matched with emulation.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A Retron 5 system would look great on that HDTV. Will not solve your Atari 2600, or TG-16 issues , but it would go a long way.