Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Retro game prices on Ebay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Just browsing some things today, and shaking my head at all the BIN listings showing a "sale price" of a dollar or two off.

I hope ebay comes to its senses and reinstates listing fees for unsold auctions.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Just browsing some things today, and shaking my head at all the BIN listings showing a "sale price" of a dollar or two off.

I hope ebay comes to its senses and reinstates listing fees for unsold auctions.
    Hooray save whooping 2 bucks on a price that's still bloated anyways, or here's a btter one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHOMP-EM-NES...item51ac7d8d01

YAY, save Whooping 60 CENTS!..........................Muertos de Hambre, might as welll flip you the bird and slap you in the face.

And Here am i also thinking that sniping tools were illegal too, people have sink that low?
    Last edited by Gatucaman; 05-15-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I bid by hand in the last 3-5 seconds and queue it up in one window, then have an alt-tab away another to watch the counter and have another bid in case I change my mind to throw a little more on it. I refuse to use asinine sniper tools. There's too many people who drop a bid with 3-5 to go so I try and get as close to 3 seconds as possible given any delay lag on it going in usually amounts to 1-3sec.
    The only thing that a sniping tool does is let you schedule your bids in advance for the optimum time (the last 5 seconds before an auction ends). Sniping tools have become so prevalent that doing it manually is an inconvenience and potentially a disadvantage, as the sniping server likely has a better connection than you do, as well as (in some cases) redundancy and/or mirroring across multiple servers in multiple locations to snipe in parallel.

On the other hand, putting your bid in with days left accomplishes nothing other than possibly driving the price higher.

Do you use an "asinine DVR" to watch your favorite shows when it's convenient for you, instead of being forced to watch them when they air? Sniping tools really aren't much different.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatucaman View Post
    And Here am i also thinking that sniping tools were illegal too, people have sink that low?
    Why should it be illegal? If anyone should care, it's eBay themselves since lower auction prices means lower final value fees they get from sellers. And if they cared, they could fix the problem very easily by having the auction extend by 60 seconds if a bid is put in during the last 30 seconds.
    Last edited by jperryss; 05-15-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

You know, unless your a hardcore collector that is just trying to fill up shelf space, flash carts solve this problem. You don't need to worry about the condition, you don't need to worry about the battery since the save is on the cart, and you don't have to worry about price fluctuations.

It's a good investment. $120-$150 or so for a cart that you can put anything you want on is a good deal considering the prices of today's classic games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the thing is, i am closer to own 100 NES Games (plus 7 Famicom games) and my main goal was to get a collection of 150 games of all the good ones, and that's it, considering that i have been able to get for dirt cheap titles like Princess Tomato, Shatterhand and Fricking KickMaster (a game i neever tought i would find, let alone for 4 USD) tha gave me hope, plus with famicom games, i already covered certain titles that are bloated expensive in their US releases.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Threads like these just make me glad that 99% of my retro collecting goal is behind me.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Threads like these just make me glad that 99% of my retro collecting goal is behind me.
    Sucks for me I sold the stuff before it spiked and now I have to start over during a price hike. Yikes!
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I Just love it when assholes on Ebay sell NES game lots and claimed that their games are rare and mostly consist of COMMON AS DIRT GAMES like Super Mario 3, Lolos 1 & 2, Robo Warrior for Fuck sake!

You know what could possibly, maybe, help to solve this problem, or at the very least, do some difference, if we (along with the people from /vr/ from 4chan, made an image guide to "educate" people about the Ebay Bullshit and to not be hipsters, and share it to local gamers so they let the people in stores per example EDUCATE themselves and stop scalping and extoritioning the little guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I Just love it when assholes on Ebay sell NES game lots and claimed that their games are rare and mostly consist of COMMON AS DIRT GAMES like Super Mario 3, Lolos 1 & 2, Robo Warrior for Fuck sake!

You know what could possibly, maybe, help to solve this problem, or at the very least, do some difference, if we (along with the people from /vr/ from 4chan, made an image guide to "educate" people about the Ebay Bullshit and to not be hipsters, and share it to local gamers so they let the people in stores per example EDUCATE themselves and stop scalping and extoritioning the little guys.
    The hard part about hipsters is that they like being not cool. So people telling them they're not cool doesn't help. Nor does going the other direction. They are an odd breed. They kind of remind me of the unswayable Bronies. lol unless MLP is just a fad that will pass.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

People have been claiming everything on ebay as 'rare' for forever now so no point in getting excited or upset over it. If people want to pay more for common games its up to them. I dont think it spoils it for the rest of us because these are common games that can be found cheaper with patience. If you have to have that copy of Mario 3 RIGHT NOW then sure hit the buy it now button.

Rarity and price guides have been around forever so no need for more guides for stupid ebay buyers. If someone can get online to ebay they can just as easily find a nes rarity guide online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

What bothers me though is that people here on the forums who are supposed to be more respectable collectors and sellers use ebay as an excuse to raise prices here too. If I ask somebody in the WTB section to sell me a CIB The Legend of Zelda on NES for $25-30, they are probably just not going to answer me unfortunately because they know they can get more money for selling it on ebay, thus making the problem worse by not joining the ebay boycott. Or often times when I do get a seller offering a game for a good price on a forum, they don't take good pics and say the item looks great. And when it shows up it has like water damage on the manual, heavy creasing on the boxes, writing or rental stickers on the carts or cds. Nintendoage people are so shady sometimes. One time I even got a bootleg Donkey Kong Country 3 for SNES by somebody who "didn't know the difference." Caught them red handed when I opened the cart to install a battery because it had none in it to begin with. He never replied back.

Now I'm not saying everybody does this and I'm sure some people here would still give good deals, but it just worries me because I've seen it happen. Sometimes even good sellers turn bad. I thank all those members who have sold me something on this forum before or bought from me because on Digitpress I have had all good experiences so far.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 05-16-2014 at 01:43 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    What bothers me though is that people here on the forums who are supposed to be more respectable collectors and sellers use ebay as an excuse to raise prices here too. If I ask somebody in the WTB section to sell me a CIB The Legend of Zelda on NES for $25-30, they are probably just not going to answer me unfortunately because they know they can get more money for selling it on ebay, thus making the problem worse by not joining the ebay boycott. Or often times when I do get a seller offering a game for a good price on a forum, they don't take good pics and say the item looks great. And when it shows up it has like water damage on the manual, heavy creasing on the boxes, writing or rental stickers on the carts or cds. Nintendoage people are so shady sometimes. One time I even got a bootleg Donkey Kong Country 3 for SNES by somebody who "didn't know the difference." Caught them red handed when I opened the cart to install a battery because it had none in it to begin with. He never replied back.

Now I'm not saying everybody does this and I'm sure some people here would still give good deals, but it just worries me because I've seen it happen. Sometimes even good sellers turn bad. I thank all those members who have sold me something on this forum before or bought from me because on Digitpress I have had all good experiences so far.
    My good to bad ratio on ebay is far, far worse than forums. There have been a couple of bad apples, but I've only had one really terrible experience. I guess I'm lucky.

I do use ebay, somewhat, to price things, but unlike ebay, I continually drop prices until they're at a price someone wants to pay for, and I rarely turn down people asking for deals. I know I can't be alone in this, but sadly, too few people are willing to make a deal.

And then we have to worry about flippers on top of it all. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Rick while I agree with your sentiment I've seen this play out in the predator pool of the sellers board on Nintendoage to then have people bitch about others even some calling them out by name in open threads where people ignore the ebay price rape trends and give nice deals, sometimes like 3+years ago kind of nice to then have the buyer instantly post the stuff on ebay. Usually the buyer will be all appreciative that they were looking for an item for awhile or one of those lines, and the stuff just smack goes right up on ebay for those mid to higher end BIN prices and rake in a nice little extra on it.

That reason alone is why I set mine very carefully over there and on ebay too. I look at the current trending prices, remove the top 10-20% and bottom 10-20% for flukes, and then I see the average and come in lower by a dollar or a few dollars or more depending on the price so it's attractive and bought (and then on NA I'll take that and remove the ebay fees and will go even lower depending on the deal by 20%.) Someone gets a solid deal but not solid enough to flip it off my efforts.

Joining the ebay boycott isn't the answer. It's either somehow getting them to put back the posting fees and also allowing 1min auction extensions for sniper garbage that will curb a good bit of it. Snipers will lose out as the practice ends, and people posting shit for more than it actually sells for would stop unless they like to lose their ass on showing off goodies no one can buy. After they went to that newer model of free posting BIN's have shot up to 85% of the auctions for NES games on ebay, leaving 15% for true auction or auction w/BIN postings (I do that.)

By the way who screwed you over at NA, you do know they have a feedback model there, a hall of shame, and the site admins tend to go after people for stealing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'd rather everyone snipe with their max bid in the last seconds than slowly drive the price of the auction up over several days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Rick while I agree with your sentiment I've seen this play out in the predator pool of the sellers board on Nintendoage to then have people bitch about others even some calling them out by name in open threads where people ignore the ebay price rape trends and give nice deals, sometimes like 3+years ago kind of nice to then have the buyer instantly post the stuff on ebay. Usually the buyer will be all appreciative that they were looking for an item for awhile or one of those lines, and the stuff just smack goes right up on ebay for those mid to higher end BIN prices and rake in a nice little extra on it.

That reason alone is why I set mine very carefully over there and on ebay too. I look at the current trending prices, remove the top 10-20% and bottom 10-20% for flukes, and then I see the average and come in lower by a dollar or a few dollars or more depending on the price so it's attractive and bought (and then on NA I'll take that and remove the ebay fees and will go even lower depending on the deal by 20%.) Someone gets a solid deal but not solid enough to flip it off my efforts.

Joining the ebay boycott isn't the answer. It's either somehow getting them to put back the posting fees and also allowing 1min auction extensions for sniper garbage that will curb a good bit of it. Snipers will lose out as the practice ends, and people posting shit for more than it actually sells for would stop unless they like to lose their ass on showing off goodies no one can buy. After they went to that newer model of free posting BIN's have shot up to 85% of the auctions for NES games on ebay, leaving 15% for true auction or auction w/BIN postings (I do that.)

By the way who screwed you over at NA, you do know they have a feedback model there, a hall of shame, and the site admins tend to go after people for stealing.
    Wavingflags2. His last message was "i had no idea it was a pirate copy. its pretty crazy because i was under the impression pirating games is pricey. i see most homebrews selling for $20-30 and donkey kong country 3 seems like a reasonably cheap game.

regardless if you want to send me back the donkey kong country 3/super mario world 1. i'll pay the return shipping, and send you my other copies. also as far as donkey kong country 1. If you want to send that back I can swap it out with another one. ill take better photos of everything. "

So I messaged him to show me the pictures of the replacement items they offered and they never replied back with the promised pictures. With Super Mario World I was going for the label variant and this seller had both but sent me 2 of the same. DKC1 had a rental sticker and something engraved in the plastic on the back. DKC3 was a pirate. I never posted feedback as I thought maybe they went on vacation or lost internet or something. But now it's been since August so maybe I should mention them on there now.

Edit: He hasn't even been on Nintendoage since last October. Maybe something happened to him.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 05-16-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow that name is vaguely familiar but that is such a lie going on there. Pirating pricey, yeah right, whatever, if pirating was expensive people would buy a real one and to find a pirate at $20-30 of a snes game like that, sure whatever, the new one maybe would fall into that in nice shape. At least he seemed to want to fix it, and if he hasn't been on for that long of amount of time something probably did happen if he's not showing up as banned. They changed policy there to make it clear/embarrass banned people overlaying their avatar with a black body silhouette with banned in bold red over it to stand out. I'd contact a mod and post in the hall of shame, at least they'd get a chance to fix the damage if they come back, and if not, they have a black/red body thing for HOS fraudsters too making it very hard for people to buy/sell there once they screw around.

Girlgamer I get ya, but I've always wished that place took on a real auction format. True highest bid wins. It's not right someone has a better internet connection directly or with a bot so they can snake something. You should have to truly pay what it's worth, not what you can weasel lower with a lucky well loaded and timed click. I've got a box o' goodies auction over at NA now with an extension on it for bids.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Girlgamer I get ya, but I've always wished that place took on a real auction format. True highest bid wins. It's not right someone has a better internet connection directly or with a bot so they can snake something. You should have to truly pay what it's worth, not what you can weasel lower with a lucky well loaded and timed click. I've got a box o' goodies auction over at NA now with an extension on it for bids.
    What part of this are you not understanding? Highest bid wins. Sniping doesn't change that. If an auction is at $20, and you put in a max bid of $40, and then I snipe with $35, you still win.

The only overall affect sniping has on prices is maybe keeping them lower by reducing the possibility of "gotta have it" bidding wars.

In my last example, suppose my max bid is $45. I snipe the auction at the last second and beat your $40 max bid to win. What's the issue? If I'd put that bid an hour earlier, you might have gone in and put in a $50 max bid, even though you already told yourself $40 was your max bid. It's stupid! But everyone does it. Sniping avoids that completely.

Make sense?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    The only overall affect sniping has on prices is maybe keeping them lower by reducing the possibility of "gotta have it" bidding wars.

Make sense?
    Yup, agreed.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Yup, agreed.
    But snipes still are too ridiculously high. Sometimes I see prices double what was just sold, only bid at the last minute. A game that sold for $20 yesterday was sniped by an auto-bid for $30 today. Why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    But snipes still are too ridiculously high. Sometimes I see prices double what was just sold, only bid at the last minute. A game that sold for $20 yesterday was sniped by an auto-bid for $30 today. Why?
    Every auction is a new market of bidders. In your example, the currently leading bidder is winning the auction at $20, but his max bid is $29.50. If no one else bids, he wins at the price from yesterday. Instead someone else put a max bid of $30+ in the last seconds and won. Auctions depend on who is in the market for whatever item at that given time. Trying to use completed auction history as a concrete market value is flawed.