Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Famicom Games

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Half of Zeta Gundam is so much a ripoff of Thexder I'm surprised Bandai didn't get sued.
    Is it just me or do the Bandai and the blue Namco carts have a strong death-grip? I can't get those out of my AV Famicom without really yanking them.

I got RockBoard from a site once for like $3 and shipping. I remember they had Kid Dracula for like $2. I would've got it but I had already bought it at about the $20 going rate from another seller.
    Got Hammerin' Harry 2 from them as well for dirt cheap but I still don't have the first game.

The only other Rockman game I have is 2, since I have a full NES set.

"switching Ghost Konami character?" What game are you talking about? Wai Wai World 1? Up+A (awkward but it's a 2-player game and they needed to account for that the original RF Famicom didn't have 2P Start/Select). Wai Wai World 2? There's a power-up that lets you switch for a limited time. Press Up+A when it gets to your character (though it doubles as health, taking a hit cuts away your transform time)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah I guess it's UP+A for the limited time if it's the same as I'm talking about Wai Wai World 2. I thought about getting the original one but it's too confusing with all the random places and a 'goonies' like screwy layout. I called it a ghost character as the transformation pops in and it's temporary.

I can't remember but isn't reading needed for Rockboard?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

only famicom games I own are: Devil World, plus Zelda 1 and Metroid from the Famicom Disk System.

don't have the machine to play it on, but i don't care. from the nicely illustrated mini paper booklet with sticker sheet to the yellow hard disk with Nintendo engraved on it in big blocky letters, i find the Famicom Disk games an interesting artifact in my collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can agree with that. I keep on oddball I don't play around too because of just how it looks and the price wasn't bad either when I got it. It's a shame it can't be used, but hell it likely may not work as they're lousy magnetic disks that are prone to failure so maybe it's best not knowing too. For me it's a sealed yellow version of Metroid I put in a shadowbox as I love that one piece of Samus art on the box more than much of the rest from that 8/16bit era.

I won 5 more Famicom games in a midnight closer auction over at NintendoAge I can't wait to see in a couple of days -- Star Wars(namco), Twinbee, F1-Race, Final Lap, and Macross.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes! That cover art looks killer! I wonder who was the illustrator for the old Nintendo games cause I keep forgetting to ask myself to search it up. Loved the artwork for Zelda and metroid

And congrats on your purchase! Curious to see the packaging of Macross.
    Last edited by DigitalKarma; 04-23-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've got a quite a few CIB games and some loose games. Off the top of my head.... (excuse any games that were also released in the west) There should be many more. Forget the names of the SD gundam/super robot games worth checking out.

kunio kun games (there are 11)
    recca
    battle formula
    gimmick
    hebereke
    asmik kun/world
    rod land
    time zone
    goonies (1)
    bubble bobble 2
    Taro kun 1 & 2
    ninja jajamaru
    SDF (shmup)
    Gefu maden
    Spartan X 2 (Kung Fu 2)
    magical doropie
    gun dec
    wai wai world 1 & 2 (konami world)
    comso police galvan
    solbrain
    mitsume ga tooru (3 eyes boy)
    sayuki world 1 & 2
    chojin sentai jetman (not the same as nes solar jetman)
    air fortress (shmup)
    over horizon
    crisis force
    moeru twinbee
    image fight
    Kyatto Ninden Teyandee (samurai pizza cats)
    dracula kun
    bonk
    contra (diff from us version, has some extras)
    cocoron
    chuuka taisen (cloud master)
    kid niki 2 & 3
    final mission
    captain saver
    banana prince
    lickle
    masked ninja hanamaru
    hammerin harry 1 & 2
    war wolf
    dragon spirit
    yumei penguin story
    moai kun
    bio miracle
    might final fight

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The 5 games I snapped up last night are just carts.

If you're curious it's actually pretty attractive on the Macross game which you can see on ebay here, just roll the mouse over to blow it up.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACROSS-Chou...-/121207236546

It's the Minmei white dress singing imagery over the fleet with a space backdrop from that huge battle outside Earth against the Zentraedi fleet.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The 5 games I snapped up last night are just carts.

If you're curious it's actually pretty attractive on the Macross game which you can see on ebay here, just roll the mouse over to blow it up.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACROSS-Chou...-/121207236546

It's the Minmei white dress singing imagery over the fleet with a space backdrop from that huge battle outside Earth against the Zentraedi fleet.
    wow sexy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Stealthlurker: I agree on Gimmick and Hebreke, but thanks to a ripple effect of bootleg makers on the US carts it has driven the price of the Famicom games up to crappy levels, much can be said for Lickle too thanks to Little Samson. I have my eye on them but I'm not paying that, and would go with a famiclone (like with crisis force and moon patrol) or a new parts made NES shell bootleg. If it were the original company charging me it's one thing, but I'm not feeding a troll. While we didn't get it Mitsume ga Toru also is another that gets spendy I'm figuring out where I'll go with it as that one is fun.

You have a solid list, some of them the really small 32/64K sized stuff I have on my multicarts. I'm working on a deal for Hammerin' Harry 1 at the moment along with Parodius.

I have some of those games in there too that are on US carts like Bonk so I don't see a reason to get redundant again, even with the small differences stuff like Contra has. I'd be tempted to snap up Castlevania 3 even if I can't hear the audio entirely because of the other things but price would be a factor.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

With Famiclone Gimmick, I wonder if you have to worry about copy-protection? (it's little known, because to even see it you'd have to reach the final level. I hear the thing that sets it off is if the opening copyright has been hacked. I hear it was effectively nullified in the European version.)

With Bonk, yeah the main reason to get the Famicom version is that it should be a lot cheaper than the NES version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Did not know about that with Gimmick, but the famiclones early enough along were just straight copies of games from what I've been told a bit, they're not hacked, so I imagine that one may just work right as it's not like you're dumbing down a VRC6 chip like in Crisis Force.

Also lost hammerin harry and parodius. Guy doesn't respond for a day and a half, then tells me they were already sold in the first place which I find fishy since his post was new when I wrote about the two games. I'm not amused because paying the ebay rate sucks as Japanese shipping is a ripoff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Hot Scramble is OK but pretty hard

SD Knight Gundam story has a lot of RPG like story going on, its a top down final fantasy like RPG and since my Japanese has never been great its just too much going on in order to get a good feel for it.
    basicly I haven't played much of it and I have no idea whats going on. what I know is basic in terms of the language, good enough for shooters, and quick decisions in the games
    There are faaaar better gundam games than those, but forget their names.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Stealthlurker: I agree on Gimmick and Hebreke, but thanks to a ripple effect of bootleg makers on the US carts it has driven the price of the Famicom games up to crappy levels, much can be said for Lickle too thanks to Little Samson. I have my eye on them but I'm not paying that, and would go with a famiclone (like with crisis force and moon patrol) or a new parts made NES shell bootleg. If it were the original company charging me it's one thing, but I'm not feeding a troll. While we didn't get it Mitsume ga Toru also is another that gets spendy I'm figuring out where I'll go with it as that one is fun.

You have a solid list, some of them the really small 32/64K sized stuff I have on my multicarts. I'm working on a deal for Hammerin' Harry 1 at the moment along with Parodius.

I have some of those games in there too that are on US carts like Bonk so I don't see a reason to get redundant again, even with the small differences stuff like Contra has. I'd be tempted to snap up Castlevania 3 even if I can't hear the audio entirely because of the other things but price would be a factor.

I think the rise in famicom game prices is also due in part to the new wave of famicom collectors. For the past several years I've seen a lot of new folks hopping onto the famicom collecting thing. In general I think import collecting is on the rise... the competition amongst westerners is also spilling into Yahoo Japan Auctions. Pretty soon it might become as ridiculous as Ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wouldn't doubt it, there's many factors. I have seen in cases I said where things went for less, but eventually the greed on the NTSC-U side of the pond got so bad it was cheaper to buy Japanese and an adapter. You can get an adapter for like $30 and Lickle for $80-100 these days(if patient) and the US version is a $500 cart. Bonk is yet another good example of paying like $20 for a Famicom game or $300 for the NES version so it's no wonder people flock to those driving them up, then people get curious about others that look fun and buy too. I know the Yahoo Japan auctions are getting worse seeing others talk about it on NA and some linking these nice tools like buyee.com which works as a gateway tool to buy stuff in our language, and the other end can converse cleanly and everyone is happy and gets paid or a product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wouldn't doubt it, there's many factors. I have seen in cases I said where things went for less, but eventually the greed on the NTSC-U side of the pond got so bad it was cheaper to buy Japanese and an adapter. You can get an adapter for like $30 and Lickle for $80-100 these days(if patient) and the US version is a $500 cart. Bonk is yet another good example of paying like $20 for a Famicom game or $300 for the NES version so it's no wonder people flock to those driving them up, then people get curious about others that look fun and buy too. I know the Yahoo Japan auctions are getting worse seeing others talk about it on NA and some linking these nice tools like buyee.com which works as a gateway tool to buy stuff in our language, and the other end can converse cleanly and everyone is happy and gets paid or a product.
    Yeah, but it goes both ways. I can think of a ton of games that are "cheap" in the US but very expensive in Japan. I think this idea of Japan versions are cheaper are mainly due to perspective. Most from the US are more familiar with US titles and pricing (completely understandable). Also most westerners just happen to be interested or only know of the games in Japan that are the "cheaper" titles. Best example are RPGs. RPGs in Japan are like old Madden carts in the States haha. There are tons of them and nobody really wants them anymore.

The thing that pisses me off are all the westerners buying up stuff in Japan only to flip on Ebay for gouger prices. One game that has had a comical rise in price is Eliminate Down on the Megadrive. It used to average 150-200 USD. But in a very, very short time span is regularly around the 700-800 USD range now.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I hate you guys!

I had zero interest in the Famicom, then I read this thread and started researching it and finding a bunch of great games. In the past two days I've purchased 48 games, the wife will not be happy especially considering I purchased a Neo Geo AES and four games last week.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Has anyone played 53 stations of the Tokaido? Its a cool little game but tough. I diddnt know it existed until I saw it on GameCenter CX.

If you want to play Sweet Home, probably the best way is to get a powerpak or other flash cart. It plays the translated version just fine. No point in buying a repro/bootleg when you can just get a flashcart instead.

Also Getsufuu Maden is awesome, the patched/translated version works great on powerpak also.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 04-24-2014 at 04:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2 famicom games that i would highly recommend:

Samurai Pizza Cats - fun and quirky platformer

Bio Senshi Dan - fun "zelda 2" style game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    Yeah, but it goes both ways. I can think of a ton of games that are "cheap" in the US but very expensive in Japan. I think this idea of Japan versions are cheaper are mainly due to perspective. Most from the US are more familiar with US titles and pricing (completely understandable). Also most westerners just happen to be interested or only know of the games in Japan that are the "cheaper" titles. Best example are RPGs. RPGs in Japan are like old Madden carts in the States haha. There are tons of them and nobody really wants them anymore.

The thing that pisses me off are all the westerners buying up stuff in Japan only to flip on Ebay for gouger prices. One game that has had a comical rise in price is Eliminate Down on the Megadrive. It used to average 150-200 USD. But in a very, very short time span is regularly around the 700-800 USD range now.
    Totally agree with you. It's perspective, and you're so right about the RPG<->Madden effect between here and there. That is the huge problem I'm hitting is that slime are buying up Japanese games cheap then selling them for the price of the Japanese+EMS/tracked if not a little higher, and in turn I've seen the Japanese raise their prices which I don't blame them for as I'd stick it to a poaching reseller too which is why I don't start ebay auctions at $1-5 anymore.

Goddamn Camaro---48 in 48 hours? Self control time! Well perhaps you'll end up hating some of them and parting them back to us to fill holes.

BB - Agreed on Sweet Home, but I'd rather have a non-old parts chop shop new parts bootleg. PRobably same with Getsuufu Maden because that looks fun but there's enough words in there you need the english to enjoy it right which is why I'm not shopping for that famicom cart.

Ryan - Same with the above on Sweet Home, too many words, but it looks fun with Bio Senshi Dan, and Kyattou Ninden Teyandee is on my list, but annoyingly that's one this one US selling douche (I looked into the history) has been selling at $30 buying up copies so the Japanese are matching it now with the shipping so I've been holding off. I liked that one since the later 90s when I'd mess with a ROM a bit.

Another game suffering the US<->Japanese reach around is Holy Diver which makes sense as it's a really solid game. Sadly the same jerk I eluded to in the last line above with the Cats game is the only US seller and his is sun bleached badly blue and wants slightly more than the Japanese sellers. I've tried to offer on that guys stuff like $5 less at most on things and he ignores it. He also has Hammerin Harry too so it's annoying where do I buy it and eat it, or wait it out on principle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Has anyone played 53 stations of the Tokaido? Its a cool little game but tough. I diddnt know it existed until I saw it on GameCenter CX.
    That's funny, I have the game but didn't fire it up until I saw the GameCenter CX episode about it too. Yeah those old games were pretty difficult, but had a certain charm to them.