Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your end plan for your collection?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Default What's your end plan for your collection?

Simple, what is your plan for your gaming collection/buying as you grow old? What will happen with your stuff when you die?

I realize there are a lot of people who have kids here they will pass it on to but I want to hear from the people who don't and might not have thought about it yet.

As for me, I'm 43, have no kids and won't be having them, so I'm eventually going to thin my collection out as I finish games. I've already stopped buying SNES and N64 games and have whittled the collection down to the games I really enjoy. Eventually I'll sell the systems and games off as I age. In the event that I go sooner rather than later, I told my wife that it all goes on eBay, Craigslist, whatever as long as it doesn't go to the pathetic vultures who know I have it and will cheat her. (One asshole comes to mind.) I want her to get something for it, whatever is left. (I know, I know, I'll be dead. Why should I care? Because there are too many fuckers who'll show up and offer nowhere near what things are worth because she might not know better.)

As for buying games, I'll keep up with current systems as I get old. I don't plan on stopping gaming until I'm gone.

So, what's your plan?

P.S. I tried a search for a thread like this and found nothing. If this is a repeat, my apologies.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

No real plan, I'll continue to buy them as long as I enjoy it. Then I'll keep my dedicated game room for my son (11 months old) gets older to enjoy and then for his friends and cousins to play. Once I'm dead my wife can give them to our son or sell them, it's really up to her.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't mean to be mean, but this sounds like an Onion headline. I'm exactly the same age as you, by the way.

Old Man's Toy Stash Is Only Interesting to Old Man Himself
    - not as valuable as he thinks it is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

^Haha nice headline.

Seriously though. I have one girl who is 2 1/2, and she already likes to see 'Mari'(o) and can barely move him and jump, tries to get at my gb micro a lot when it's in sight. Personally I'm more or less 'done' at this rate because I feel I've been priced out, well willingly priced out. Games are getting hit like comics and sports cards of the 90s and as a kid on a few dollar a week allowance I was shattered having it taken away, and this is super similar. As it is now, I don't actively collect anymore, it's too depressing. If i'm out at a flea market and I find a game cheap worth the bother I won't leave it, that would be dumb, but that's it. If I see something I really want, and I can get it to where it's lower than ebay to a point worth the no returns risk, I'll do that too. Two months back I got Mickey Great Circus Mystery + Spike McFang for $40 total and Spike easily clears that, so I did it.

I'm done with American Nintendo cart games unless the above can be said so I'm at a 'done' status there as I'm fed up with the back biting, competitive bullshit, gold bricking the value of the prices, and the rest as it's being wrecked and I don't won't to go through it again. I did get a famicom converter weeks ago, up to 6 games in hand +2 in the mail overseas now and it's amazing. Games they got much we never got and the denied stuff we didn't get stuff that even felt like that so it's totally fresh a kid like flashback of fun. I have no end plan there, nor an end plan on newer stuff when I find something I like.

Ultimately I'm not a mind reader. I may die holding onto some, all or little of it and my girl will get it. I may decide to just say screw it and let it go eventually too if I get bored of having it.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I will add that I won't sell any of my collection. I remember being a kid and going to my grandparent's house, they had an Atari 2600 hooked up in their basement and I loved playing it with my brothers and cousins. This was in the early nineties so it was an old system them but we still loved it because it was different. I hope to be able to give those types of memories to my kids and their friends and cousins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mine is going to be on the boat with my body, on fire, as I sail Valhalla style down to the realm of the dead.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    Mine is going to be on the boat with my body, on fire, as I sail Valhalla style down to the realm of the dead.

You can't take this stuff to the grave. If I still have any games with me after death, then my family is entitled to have them and even sell them if they need the money. As for any possible descendants, any sentiment or nostalgia that they may have held for me will be nonexistent for those who did not live with or know me, so they need not be burdened with maintaining my collection.

In the end, I try not to get attached too much to anything in my collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The more than 6,000 games are going for my daughter and hopefully another kid
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Sports Club View Post
    You can't take this stuff to the grave.
    I know, it was a joke, I don't actually have any Norse ancestry anyway

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Maybe I should make my grave before I die. Have the coffin in place before I die and when the coffin is opened it leads to an underground room where I'll have in my will to have all my games placed and my dead body set in the chair there in front of the tv with a controller in my hand.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

haha, I came here to post something like this, but more in spirit of, "No tomb for video games and SpaceHarrier. No long, slow sleep of death embalmed. We shall burn, like the heathen kings of old."

I've recently been thinking about my consumption of material goods, and have instituted a 'one in one out' policy for games. I don't think having an ever increasing collection is going to make me significantly happier than I am. That isn't really the topic here, though.

Basically, I don't care. I don't have kids, don't plan on it. Whatever whoever wants to do with my crap after I keel over, more power to 'em. If somehow I live to be a ripe old age and have to move into a 'lonely old man apartment with abusive caretakers' for my last few years, I'm sure I'll be more or less forced to rid myself of most all my possessions.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know, it was a joke, I don't actually have any Norse ancestry anyway
    My mistake, I wasn't actually addressing what you said.

But this Norse funeral stuff reminds me of the Game Over screen in Lost Vikings.
    Last edited by Manhattan Sports Club; 04-20-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't really care. I love my games, but it's not like they're family heirlooms or something. If there's somebody who wants them and will enjoy them and I'd like him/her to have them, then great, otherwise they'll go to whoever gets my property in general. And if that person has no interest in them, then I'm cool with the stuff getting sold off so that the buyers can enjoy them and the person I left my stuff to can use the money on something that makes him/her happy. That's a win/win in my book. Of course, who knows, maybe I'll sell off a bunch of stuff myself at some point, but I don't see that happening for the foreseeable future.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If able and my collection retains value, I will likely sell and do some traveling. Unless the value is substantial enough to pay for cryogenics...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Scattered to the wind, probably sometime in the next five years. Whenever I get off my ass to do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

To me my game collection is an art collection and it needs to be enjoyed by my children.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Scattered to the wind, probably sometime in the next five years. Whenever I get off my ass to do it.
    Are you going to go the digital/emulation route or are you tired of games altogether? Just curious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Hopefully pass it to my next of kin. If I need to sell off my crap, which will more likely than not be very soon, I will sell off all except those I really like or currently play. Meaning I will mot sell off my Master System, Neo Geo Pocket, or Atari 7800 Collection.

I am willing to sell off my Xbox and Wii stuff, particularly. i barely played with the shit.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Are you going to go the digital/emulation route or are you tired of games altogether? Just curious.
    Both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'm 46 and my wife and I have no kids.

I'll hold onto my collection for as long as I can, but will probably sell a good portion of it when I'm in my 60s, to help pay for our retirement. I'll probably sell the games I can't play well, once my reflexes have gone to crap and will play the stuff I can still play, that doesn't require good reflexes. I'd probably give the rest of my collection to my nephew, since he seems to be a pretty avid gamer like his uncle.