Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Counterfeit Sega CD games being sold on eBay and distributed by some shady website.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This is going to be a constant back-and-forth I see, so I'm just going to leave one last post for this thread and let people make their own judgement.

Some facts about this situation:

*These are not authorized by the original publishing/trademark/copyright/IP rights holders- statements made to me personally during phone calls that I have made inquiring about them. I also supplied the companies with necessary information that they asked for, such as the Good Deal Games' URL address.

What companies did you specifically speak to regarding these games? In the case of Battle Frenzy for example, the two companies in questions that held the rights, Acclaim and Domark have both since folded and the IP was purchased by successor companies. Acclaim's rights are primarily held by a Canadian mobile game developer and Domark's rights are owned by Square-Enix as part of the Eidos acquisition. Sega never owned any rights to this game as far as I can tell.

*The packaging of these completely lack what would make them official, such as listing the proper copyright and trademark information.

There is no legal requirement that copyright or trademark information appear on any packaging. While this requirement is often built into licensing deals, it certainly is not mandatory that it be included.

*These are not 100% guaranteed to work on the systems that they claim to work on due to the fact that they are burned to CD-Rs rather than being factory-pressed discs based off of the proprietary pressing methods of the original manufacturing plants.

There are new Sega Dreamcast games being released legally on a fairly regular basis that are not 100% guaranteed to work with the original hardware, are contained on CD-Rs and which require booting using an external device or boot disc. Nothing unusual or illegal about this.

*Statements on the packaging of these games state that these releases are not endorsed or affiliated with the companies that own the IP/trademark/copyright/etc. rights.

As I noted above, there is nothing requiring someone licensing rights to credit the original rights holders. In some cases, the original rights holders would prefer not to be associated with a product because they don't want to be responsible for any customer service or warranty issues.

*There are several white knights on this forum insisting that Good Deal Games have the licenses to produce these copies, but provide no form of proof whatsoever.

You're the one that came on here making the claims. You're the one who hasn't provided a single shred of proof other than ill-informed speculation by someone who obviously has no legal background.

I will not post anymore in this thread.

Great. Hopefully a mod will lock and delete the whole thing as your contribution here was completely worthless.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

There's one website online that makes it seem like it's not a valid release, just one.

http://segaretro.org/Bloodshot

The Sega Mega-CD version was also exclusive to Europe until 2003, when a North American version under the Battle Frenzy name was released. This version was developed and published by Good Deal Games without the consent of Domark or Acclaim.
    That whole "without consent of Domark or Acclaim" part. Only Acclaim doesn't matter as it's just another publisher, any rights they had are probably expired and it could have just been limited to Europe or another region. Domark was the developer so that is a bit curious, but that doesn't mean that they still owned the rights to the game anyway, they could have sold it off to someone else. Domark isn't even around anymore, they were bought out by another company. Who knows who NinSEGA spoke with on the phone, how do we know it was even someone who knows any real details about the game? It's some ancient old forgotten game from the early 90's, why would this be on top of everyone's mind at whatever company he called. Did he speak with the president or some low level employee?

Or the website got the information wrong and posted incorrect content.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    This is going to be a constant back-and-forth I see, so I'm just going to leave one last post for this thread and let people make their own judgement.

Some facts about this situation:

*These are not authorized by the original publishing/trademark/copyright/IP rights holders- statements made to me personally during phone calls that I have made inquiring about them. I also supplied the companies with necessary information that they asked for, such as the Good Deal Games' URL address.

What companies did you specifically speak to regarding these games? In the case of Battle Frenzy for example, the two companies in questions that held the rights, Acclaim and Domark have both since folded and the IP was purchased by successor companies. Acclaim's rights are primarily held by a Canadian mobile game developer and Domark's rights are owned by Square-Enix as part of the Eidos acquisition. Sega never owned any rights to this game as far as I can tell.

*The packaging of these completely lack what would make them official, such as listing the proper copyright and trademark information.

There is no legal requirement that copyright or trademark information appear on any packaging. While this requirement is often built into licensing deals, it certainly is not mandatory that it be included.

*These are not 100% guaranteed to work on the systems that they claim to work on due to the fact that they are burned to CD-Rs rather than being factory-pressed discs based off of the proprietary pressing methods of the original manufacturing plants.

There are new Sega Dreamcast games being released legally on a fairly regular basis that are not 100% guaranteed to work with the original hardware, are contained on CD-Rs and which require booting using an external device or boot disc. Nothing unusual or illegal about this.

*Statements on the packaging of these games state that these releases are not endorsed or affiliated with the companies that own the IP/trademark/copyright/etc. rights.

As I noted above, there is nothing requiring someone licensing rights to credit the original rights holders. In some cases, the original rights holders would prefer not to be associated with a product because they don't want to be responsible for any customer service or warranty issues.

*There are several white knights on this forum insisting that Good Deal Games have the licenses to produce these copies, but provide no form of proof whatsoever.

You're the one that came on here making the claims. You're the one who hasn't provided a single shred of proof other than ill-informed speculation by someone who obviously has no legal background.

I will not post anymore in this thread.

Great. Hopefully a mod will lock and delete the whole thing as your contribution here was completely worthless.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NinSEGA View Post
    Sure they do, hence why they aren't affiliated or endorsed by those companies.
    I really don't appreciate the implication that I just pulled that out of my ass and assaulted my integrity all at the same time. I understand your passion as a gamer, but yeah, just running around and making blatant accusations like this without one shred of proof when myself and several other users here have seen proof that the Sega CD games are indeed legit really makes you look bad. Just because a game is on a CD-R does not make it a bootleg, obviously. Especially since there are many bootlegs of games that are on pressed CD's as it is. I'd tread lightly if I were you.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Words iManifest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not here to argue the semantics but I'd just like to say that I have been buying from GDG for quite a few years and their service is always fast, personal, polite and honest. That's all from me.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Has anyone played Battle Frenzy? it actually sounds kinda good. I wouldn't mind picking one up. Seems like its only $25 on GDG website.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    I really don't appreciate the implication that I just pulled that out of my ass and assaulted my integrity all at the same time. I understand your passion as a gamer, but yeah, just running around and making blatant accusations like this without one shred of proof when myself and several other users here have seen proof that the Sega CD games are indeed legit really makes you look bad. Just because a game is on a CD-R does not make it a bootleg, obviously. Especially since there are many bootlegs of games that are on pressed CD's as it is. I'd tread lightly if I were you.
    Ninsega is pretty much a troll, or at least he often acts like one over at Sega-16. I mean, anyone who lists their occupation as "being a dick" isn't going to be receptive to correction.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Ninsega is pretty much a troll, or at least he often acts like one over at Sega-16. I mean, anyone who lists their occupation as "being a dick" isn't going to be receptive to correction.
    Yes, I see he started a similar thread earlier this week over there. He got shut down the same way he was here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Oh, so this is indeed Nintenga then? Well, never mind the comment I made earlier then. Not worried about anything the dude says now as any credibility just flew out the window. I think it's time for the ignore feature.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ggallegos1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4811-7358-8350

I'm surprised he decided to come out of the woodwork and ruffle feathers here. Must be getting lonely

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ggallegos1 View Post
    I'm surprised he decided to come out of the woodwork and ruffle feathers here. Must be getting lonely
    Hey, it's you! Welcome to Digit-Press!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Has anyone played Battle Frenzy? it actually sounds kinda good. I wouldn't mind picking one up. Seems like its only $25 on GDG website.
    Yeah, I reviewed Battle Frenzy for the now Defunct Classic Video gamer Magazine. It's not a bad fighter at all. Don't expect it to be the deepest engine ever made for a fighter, but there is fun to be had there. It get's pretty fun too if you have friends that will play the game with you also.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Yeah, I reviewed Battle Frenzy for the now Defunct Classic Video gamer Magazine. It's not a bad fighter at all. Don't expect it to be the deepest engine ever made for a fighter, but there is fun to be had there. It get's pretty fun too if you have friends that will play the game with you also.
    I thought Battle Frenzy is a shooter? haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I thought Battle Frenzy is a shooter? haha
    Whoops, I was reading Burning Fists while typing Battle Frenzy...

Battle Frenzy was pretty cool too. It's surely a game of it's time. Very much made during the DOOM era. Run through levels and kill everything, gain the key and then get the Hell out of the level before it explodes. Many reviewers state that the game has no strafe, but that's not true, there is indeed a strafe function in the game. Not the best framerate in the world, but once you get used to it, the game can be fun. If you can find someone, you could also play the really fun co op part of the game too. Yes, two player split screen in a Sega CD FPS and done very well, I might add. It's worth a look for sure anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... looks to me like somebody had to take down some games owned by Sony Computer Entertainment.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NinSEGA View Post
    Hmm... looks to me like somebody had to take down some games owned by Sony Computer Entertainment.
    And yet "Battle Frenzy", the very game that you alleged was unlicensed, is still for sale. How would you explain that discrepancy? Could it be that you were wrong about that one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And yet "Battle Frenzy", the very game that you alleged was unlicensed, is still for sale. How would you explain that discrepancy? Could it be that you were wrong about that one?
    Gee, so are the four I was talking about too! I wonder how he explains that one too. So, ninSEGA, which games were taken down because they were owned by Sony?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wink

But it's on a CD-R!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    But it's on a CD-R!
    ! Exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gee, so are the four I was talking about too! I wonder how he explains that one too. So, ninSEGA, which games were taken down because they were owned by Sony?
    The Exterminators and Star Strike.

Not just the eBay listings for these, too.