Thread: Are there cheaper options for TG-16 extention cables???

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are there cheaper options for TG-16 extention cables???

I've been frantically searching for 8-pin DIN extension cables for my new Turbografx console that's coming in route from eBay. Extension cables are a must and I have cables for all my other retro systems. The way I have my gaming rig it's impossible to sit comfortably next to the console. Either way, I read the TG-16 cables are notoriously short.

The Japanese console used a mini-din which is easily attainable for cheap but the US console uses good old fasioned DIN which has been obsoleted for all but the most rugged applications it seems. Exhaustive searches for "8-pin DIN male-female extension cable" led me to obscure marine audio and scientific instrumentation devices that utilise the plug, possibly because mini-DIN doesn't meet the requirements for those uses.

Anyway, I found a nice phat 16-foot cable on crutchfield.com for $30. A little bit excessive in the length department but will it work?
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575RFX1....html?tp=61747

Does it use all 8 conductors? Is the ground/shield even on the correct pin? Does it matter? Do I really need premium shielded cable designed for rigorous applications? Is it too heavy that it would tug on the stock cable? (no joke the cable weighs in at half a pound) Are there cheaper options?

At 30 bucks I'm thinking it would be more economic to buy part plugs and attach them with old LAN wire, but connecting them to those bloated female solder prong connectors designed for project enclosures would just look fugly and ba a potential stress point. What you guys recommend?
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 04-01-2014 at 05:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Adapter for Japanese controllers. More variety if you'd like something other than a plain TG-16 pad.
    Lum fan.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Doesn't the word expensive rhyme with Turbografx?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Doesn't the word expensive rhyme with Turbografx?
    I bought the Crutchfield cable since I literally couldn't find a shorter or cheaper cable anywhere else (and it's a better deal than the 3 foot vintage extensions which I'd need two of to get decent length), but if it doesn't fit or all 8 conductors aren't present, I'm gonna be pissed.

I think I got extremely lucky with the $100 BIN (with two CIB games mind you Bonk's and one other) on eBay. The link was only posted 35 minutes before I bought it. Just happened to log in on at the correct time.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/221406880423
    DK Oldies had a TG-16 with hookups for $179 ($139 w/o) and most of the other BIN listings on eBay were nearly $200. I'm mostly just a single player and I'm not into fighting games, so I'm not gonna bother with the multitap adapter or any of that mess.

I looked up the price of games online and many of them with or without the jewel case are nearly as expensive as they were brand new back in the day. I bought a Turbo Everdrive from Stone age Gamer and will probably be using it mostly. No offense but compared to $5-10 for most common NES and SNES, and $3-6 for Genny, it looks like I will be getting my money's worth with the Turbo Everdrive. As a bonus, the Japanese PC-Engine is region locked to Jap games but the US Turbo Graphix console isn't (the reverse is true for most other systems), meaning I can play US and JAP games with the Everdrive (it seems even with the Everdrive you cannot play most US games on a PC-Engine). I'm not gonna bother with a $200 import adapter for Jap games either.

Weird how some underdog consoles like CV, SMS and 7800, games are fairly cheap whereas TG-16 are expensive, and NeoGeo seems to be the "in" system for millionaires to collect (and as someone who doesn't like fighting games, there's not much worth playing on it either).

I already have a custom digital turbo control circuit built into my NES Arcade controller, and I need to rebuild the schematic anyway. It should be easy to add TG-16 functionality to it with one extra chip:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/302035...7629736738048/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the 16ft extension cable is long as f*** but it fits perfect and works like a champ. Just coil up the excess length in a pile. Oddly enough "Up" on the cable is down on the TG-16 connector, not that it matters. The cable has a decent wieght to it, about the same thickness as a standard TG-16 controller cable, only slightly firmer possibly due to the additional shielding.

For the price of two or three TG-16 games, I got an Everdrive from Stone Age Gamer, which I promptly loaded all 365 Jap and US ROMs onto. Now I can sit back and relax and play all the games I want in total comfort, but I still have to get off my lazy rump and manually reset the Everdrive to switch games - oh boo hoo!

FYI, I rechecked the link and sadly they appear to be out of stock / backordered on Chrutchfield, sorry...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    Well, the 16ft extension cable is long as f*** but it fits perfect and works like a champ. Just coil up the excess length in a pile. Oddly enough "Up" on the cable is down on the TG-16 connector, not that it matters. The cable has a decent wieght to it, about the same thickness as a standard TG-16 controller cable, only slightly firmer possibly due to the additional shielding.

For the price of two or three TG-16 games, I got an Everdrive from Stone Age Gamer, which I promptly loaded all 365 Jap and US ROMs onto. Now I can sit back and relax and play all the games I want in total comfort, but I still have to get off my lazy rump and manually reset the Everdrive to switch games - oh boo hoo!

FYI, I rechecked the link and sadly they appear to be out of stock / backordered on Chrutchfield, sorry...
    Now you need a CD ROM system to play some of the really nice classics that aren't on Huey. Some really cool games on there like Gate of Thunder and Shape Shifter. Some really good RPG's for the time too like the Ys Games, Cosmic Fantasy, and Dragon Slayer. Dracula X also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately, the CD-ROM extensions seem to start around $200. I cannot afford it atm. Rare disc should be bootlegged pretty cheap using 30 cent CD-Rs...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Found these for dirt cheap. Literally $2 a pop

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/Cata...rchType=Global

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    Found these for dirt cheap. Literally $2 a pop

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/Cata...rchType=Global
    Those are Mini-DIN extension connectors for Classic Macs. Perfect for people who have PC Engine or Turbo Duos.

TurboGrafx used full size 8-pin DIN cable. Completely different pinout, generally depreciated. 8-pin DIN cables are rare; extensions are nigh inexistant. Mostly what you'll find is 5-pin MIDI connectors, which is useless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are Mini-DIN extension connectors for Classic Macs. Perfect for people who have PC Engine or Turbo Duos.

TurboGrafx used full size 8-pin DIN cable. Completely different pinout, generally depreciated. 8-pin DIN cables are rare; extensions are nigh inexistant. Mostly what you'll find is 5-pin MIDI connectors, which is useless.
    Interesting, I didn't know they were so in demand. I picked up a male/male 8 pin din cable at a thrift a couple weeks ago for about $1, my plan it to cut it apart and use it for a RGB cable with my duo.

There is a gent that makes TG -> PCE cables on PCEngineFX. I would recommend that since then you can use widely available cheap extensions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yea. I hardly touch my tg16 lol. My bad
    Last edited by BricatSegaFan; 04-23-2014 at 03:25 PM.